61st St. At Broadway

plumber2

Galveston City Council rejected a condominium project and marina at 61st St. and Broadway this week. The major objection was the modification to the one way exit ramp from 61st St. to Braoadway that TxDot had no objection to. I think the biggest objection was to the marina that would have upset the private like little bayou (English Bayou) that the current residents enjoy.

Galveston City Council rejected a condominium project and marina at 61st St. and Broadway this week. The major objection was the modification to the one way exit ramp from 61st St. to Braoadway that TxDot had no objection to. I think the biggest objection was to the marina that would have upset the private like little bayou (English Bayou) that the current residents enjoy.

I would concur. Galveston's political leadership is two-faced. I watched once as Mayor Thomas spoke to a group of real estate developers, touting Galveston's economic development efforts and openness to development, then was called out by someone who knew about the City's true history, it having been sued at least a couple times over similar decisions. She then made the claim that it was essentially their prerogative to allow or disallow projects on a case-by-case basis, whether they complied with preexisting City ordinances or not. The guy said, I think with some truth, that the political risk from their unpredictability is far more damaging to development than any set of draconian ordinances, codified in law, could ever be.

The little marina you speak of must be the one as you exit 45 S at 61st then turn right. Correct? If so its the marina on your left as you proceed towards the seawall. That marina (and area) is the first nice scenery tourists see as they enter Galveston, up close that is. If that were to be disturbed it would be somewhat of a negative impact. It just looks so Miami-like from afar. Sometimes you can see sail boats or water/jet skiing this is what gets people excited once entering. The homes on the edge are cool too.

The spot your speaking of has always been like a mistake. That is the planning was well...unplanned it seems. How often has the intersection been gridlock? The intersection does need to be totally redone to keep up with todays tourist traffic.

There actually was a recent motel/hotel built right there or a block away rather. They must be more threatened by the heavier gridlock these others crowding in will do. See how long it takes for the light to change. Its best to avoid exiting at 61st altogether and keep going until you end up on Broadway then make a right at nearest streets into the nabe and just head towards the seawall. Less headaches.

Someone take some pics next time in area?

• The title was changed to 61st St. At Broadway

Archived