Where is the best authentic Japanese restaurant?

Tokyohana on the 59 feeder near Greenway Plaza is somewhat similar to Benihana, although it also offers a sushi bar.

Azuma on Kirby near the Rice Village has very nice Japanese decor and excellent sushi.

I have not seen tatami mats at either, but they do seem to have special event rooms or areas that may offer them.

The many times that I have visited Houston, the only Japanese restaurant I've eaten at is Benihana on Westheimer close to uptown. :ph34r:

Are there any other Japanese restaurants that you recommend I try?

Are there any traditional Japanese restaurants with tatami mats and the whole deal?

Just say no to Benihana.

Cafe Japon on Kirby is consistently good. Also Tokai on Westheimer near Fountainview was excellent.

A few.

Use 'Google this entire site' on the left sidebar and enter tatami and see if any come up - only if reviewers have mentioned them in their reviews.

Caution - a lot of the reviews are not to be believed, restaurantuers posting raves of their own restaurants and trashing the competition.

A few.

Use 'Google this entire site' on the left sidebar and enter tatami and see if any come up - only if reviewers have mentioned them in their reviews.

Caution - a lot of the reviews are not to be believed, restaurantuers posting raves of their own restaurants and trashing the competition.

i like coco in montrose. Its right on westheimer right by half price book store.. Great place..

Archived