Cy-Fair Football Stadium

CyKat

When this went to the voters it was billed as the Richard E. Barry Educational Support Facility. "Man we sure could use one of them thangs to help wit are kids edukayshun"

I wonder how many people who voted for it, would have voted against it if it was labled truthfully as a football stadium and basketball arena.

What do you think?

CyKat

This topic has been discussed in other threads, but oh well...

I didn't get to vote on the issue, but I do pay the district taxes, and I love the complex. I don't really see the issue that everyone harps on.

What exactly did you think a "educational support facility" was??? And why did you think it would be 90 million dollars??? I mean seriously, when I hear that, I think a place for students to learn in a non-classroom environment, and that is excatly what it is. There is more that goes on at any given football/basketball game than just football/basketball. There are cheerleaders, drillteam, trainers, mascots, marchings bands, etc. all learing and applying knowledge. Can someone that voted please tell me what they thought they were voting for??? I would love to hear it.

ps - don't really like the idea of high school football on national television, but the Barry center is going to look great on ESPN when Cy-Fair v. Cy-Falls goes down, i think that game is in oct. sometime.

I have mentioned this on other threads. But at a bond presentation in early 2001, I asked infront of about 60 concerned citizens at the CFISD adm office, what the "Education Support Complex" was on the bond...and I was told by the presenter, that it included a football field and combination multi-purpose, basketball and preformance center. I dont think anything was hidden, CFISD has a great facility that is booked ever weekend and is used by almost every campus in the district.

We live in a world of buzz words in the education world....

Instruction Support Center = Adm Building

Education Support Complex = Auditorium and other support facilities

Information Management Service = Computer folks

Agricultural Science Center = Rodeo and Ag Barn

Law Enforcement Complex = Police Department

Transporation Center = Bus Barn

New Parent Orientation Facility = Place for parents who do not speak English

Student-Parent Assistance = Pre-school for high schools students with children

Opportunity Awareness Center = School for disruptive students.......................the list is endless

i wish Katy had built a football stadium along with our "Educational Complex", which is similar to Cy-Fair's (Katy's was complete in 2003, or 2004). Katy does have plans to build a brand new football stadium by Seven Lakes though.

i wish Katy had built a football stadium along with our "Educational Complex", which is similar to Cy-Fair's (Katy's was complete in 2003, or 2004). Katy does have plans to build a brand new football stadium by Seven Lakes though.

That's really interesting, I have never heard this. Do you know exactly where they are planning it?

CyKat

This topic has been discussed in other threads, but oh well...

I didn't get to vote on the issue, but I do pay the district taxes, and I love the complex. I don't really see the issue that everyone harps on.

What exactly did you think a "educational support facility" was??? And why did you think it would be 90 million dollars??? I mean seriously, when I hear that, I think a place for students to learn in a non-classroom environment, and that is excatly what it is. There is more that goes on at any given football/basketball game than just football/basketball. There are cheerleaders, drillteam, trainers, mascots, marchings bands, etc. all learing and applying knowledge. Can someone that voted please tell me what they thought they were voting for??? I would love to hear it.

ps - don't really like the idea of high school football on national television, but the Barry center is going to look great on ESPN when Cy-Fair v. Cy-Falls goes down, i think that game is in oct. sometime.

I'm just asking......Do you think it would have been approved if they had stated clearly Football and basketball arenas on it?

CyKat

The way school districts hold bond referendums? Yes. I recall it was part of a larger bond package. With 12 High Schools on the near horizon, the district needed another stadium, an arena, a conference center and auditorium. They could've built these all separately, but they wouldn't be as nice and they'd likely cost more per unit. We may need another one if we continue to grow at this rate, though I think it'll be a long time before anyone takes on anything as big and as nice as the Berry considering the stir it has created.

The way school districts hold bond referendums? Yes. I recall it was part of a larger bond package. With 12 High Schools on the near horizon, the district needed another stadium, an arena, a conference center and auditorium. They could've built these all separately, but they wouldn't be as nice and they'd likely cost more per unit. We may need another one if we continue to grow at this rate, though I think it'll be a long time before anyone takes on anything as big and as nice as the Berry considering the stir it has created.

I disagree. Why did they NOT put it in plain language on the proposal?

I'm asking because after that thing went up I've heard so many people wondering how it got through who weren't aware or the plans for it. Even while construction was just beginning, and i had made calls to the district they claimed the didn't have plans, and calls at that time to the developer even were answered with claims that they did not have plans for it.

I really don't think, just as the district also thought, that it would have passed if they had spelled out just what it was in plain language. Because they didn't.

CyKat

I disagree. Why did they NOT put it in plain language on the proposal?

I'm asking because after that thing went up I've heard so many people wondering how it got through who weren't aware or the plans for it. Even while construction was just beginning, and i had made calls to the district they claimed the didn't have plans, and calls at that time to the developer even were answered with claims that they did not have plans for it.

I really don't think, just as the district also thought, that it would have passed if they had spelled out just what it was in plain language. Because they didn't.

CyKat

Just so that we're keeping everything factual and correct. Let's put the actual wording of the proposed bond issue up. I don't see the point of complaining about it now, a year after its been built. If you're proposing more "truth in advertising" for government I'm all for it.

That's really interesting, I have never heard this. Do you know exactly where they are planning it?

CyKat

Yeah, it and High School number 8 (or might have been 9) for Katy I.S.D. were inclued in some bond package that was approved. The high school and new stadium will be built along side each other.

Yeah, it and High School number 8 (or might have been 9) for Katy I.S.D. were inclued in some bond package that was approved. The high school and new stadium will be built along side each other.

further west of Seven Lakes, no?

I disagree completely. How many voters do you think actually read the text of the bond authorization they voted on, beyond one sentence or so? Too few to make a difference, I would bet.

I do think they went a little overboard on this, but generally I am in favor of spending a little extra on a public project to make it look appealing to the public that has to look at it every day (e.g. highway construction).

• The title was changed to Cy-Fair Football Stadium

Archived