Embassy Suites By Hilton Houston Downtown At 1515 Dallas St.

ricco67

Embsuites.jpg

If the rendering is still identical to this, than yeah, it looks like there is a garage on the right side that could have a pool on top. Man it would be cool if it was up on the 22nd floor though.

If they do build it according to the rendering it'll be neat.

Although the front and back facades wont be facing the park,

The sides will, which is pretty cool considering its glass sides

which will Ultimately add a more modern feel to the park like Discovery Tower

will on the opposite side

If they do build it according to the rendering it'll be neat.

Although the front and back facades wont be facing the park,

The sides will, which is pretty cool considering its glass sides

which will Ultimately add a more modern feel to the park like Discovery Tower

will on the opposite side

Is this blank verse?

It would be great to get a W downtown, but it will not be at this convention center site. W does not do large "convention center hotels". This is planned to be a large hotel on the scale of the Hilton Americas (in the range of 1000-1500 rooms). Think Marriott, Grand Hyatt, Sheraton or Westin.

Whatever hotel chain takes the bait, we really need to go with an "ultra modern" design... something that doesn't fit in with the surroundings. That rendering (showing what appears to be a carbon copy of the Hilton Americas) is horrible. We don't need another Hilton, or anything that looks like it.

Another image revealing more of the design to a possible second Convention Center Hotel. What's interesting to not, older images on the Discovery Tower site depitct only OPP but now newer renderings are depicting the Embassy Suites hotel (which we now know is a go) and the second Convention Center Hotel.

I'm starting to believe this is in fact a leak on that project.

aerial_southcam.jpg

Another image revealing more of the design to a possible second Convention Center Hotel. What's interesting to not, older images on the Discovery Tower site depitct only OPP but now newer renderings are depicting the Embassy Suites hotel (which we now know is a go) and the second Convention Center Hotel.

aerial_southcam.jpg

Also note...in the upper left corner. a vague form of what would be Dynamo Stadium

I can't help but notice ONE thing this rendering: What appears to be a second Convention Center Hotel (w/attached skybridge to GRB)

To be honest, I think this is a leak on that second Convention Center Hotel. We know the city has a desire to see this project through. And its kind of hard to dismiss how much detail was put into this building on this rendering, especially when you consider the rendering also coreectly depicts renderings for the other under-construction projects. I would have dismissed it if Gensler had depicted as a darkened opaque box like some of the other buildings. But the fact that they have illustrated so much detail on that second Convention Hotel leads me to believe this is a leak of a project we dont know much about......yet!

Discuss.

OMG, Brand New Information! :rolleyes:

I can't help but notice that ChannelTwoNews already mentioned that.

Discuss. :P

Also note...in the upper left corner. a vague form of what would be Dynamo Stadium

You must have been reading the Discovery Tower thread and forgot that we read that too?

I tease, I tease! :lol:

OMG, Brand New Information! :rolleyes:

I can't help but notice that ChannelTwoNews already mentioned that.

Discuss. :P

You must have been reading the Discovery Tower thread and forgot that we read that too?

I tease, I tease! :lol:

To be quite honest, Ive stopped paying attention to the Discovery Tower thread since its no longer interesting to me......the threads that are interesting to me are the ones with proposed buildings not yet finalized. Discovery Tower is under construction, so the thread will be boring until the building is in its finishing stages.

And with the way the Embassy Suites thread is going, after groundbreaking, it will become boring to me too. I guess I might as well start a thread for the "Second Convention Center Hotle" to keep me occupied. LOL!

aerial_southcam.jpg

Also an expanded GRB.

I absolutly detest GRB! I think it is the ugliest thing in Houston (and that is saying something!). I whish they would/could give it a facelift to make it look more like a world class venue. I know that is unlikely since it was recently renovated with the same ugly ass exterior, but one can dream.

I think that is parking (or least mostly parking). That is something that has concerned me. They appear to be leaving themselves no space whatsoever to ever expand the GRB (unless they can go up).

There are two empty blocks to the south. The bigger constraint is available hotel rooms for attendees. The GRB is already large enough to handle all but the top 5 or so conventions. With the recession shrinking attendance, they could probably handle all but the biggest 1 or 2...IF they had the hotel rooms.

Of course, you could go to Reliant, which has 50% more exhibit space than GRB, and more than every city except Las Vegas, Orlando and Chicago.

I think that is parking (or least mostly parking). That is something that has concerned me. They appear to be leaving themselves no space whatsoever to ever expand the GRB (unless they can go up).

I'm not worried about it for now. It's a nice scale model in the picture, but I can't think it represents any actual enforceable plan as much as kind of wishful thinking filling in all the blocks, sort of like the old Main Street Plan, or the Buffalo Bayou Plan.

I wouldn't really get excited about that model. Obviously the other buildings are in there for marketing purposes. I wouldn't expect that side of downtown to look like that in the next 30-40 years.

I think your time-line may be way too long. Did anyone think even 20 years ago that the east side of downtown would look as good as it does today?

I wouldn't really get excited about that model. Obviously the other buildings are in there for marketing purposes. I wouldn't expect that side of downtown to look like that in the next 30-40 years.

That's a bit pessimistic don't you think? 30-40 years? Really? Think about how DT looked in 1970 versus today. Almost totally unrecognizable.

m. B)

That's a bit pessimistic don't you think? 30-40 years? Really? Think about how DT looked in 1970 versus today. Almost totally unrecognizable.

m. B)

That picture has 4 new residential buildings, a new stadium, an expansion to the GRB, and a new convention center hotel all in a 5-7 block area. Even if downtown were to add 4 new residential buildings, I would be surprised if they are all along Crawford between the park and MMP. Add that to the current state of the economy, which will most likely wipe out any thought of new residential development downtown in the next 5 years, not to mention compelely alter the development environment in America. I don't expect Miami and Vegas like development anymore, especially not in Houston

And don't forget that when Houston grows, it grows all over the place at a realistic and steady pace.

It may sound pessimistic to some of you, but maybe I've just learned not to set unrealistic expectations. And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a negative nancy.

All of the stuff there now...with the exception of a smaller version of GRB...has been built in the last 9 years.

If I could, for a moment, just head back to 1987 for some perspective.

The oil and financial industries were in crisis, vacancies for office space (counting all classifications) in the core were in the mid-to-high 20% range, and the GRB had just opened. Had a pretty decent party too with fireworks, a concert, tours and a big ribbon cutting ceremony that meant a heck of a lot more since the state of the local scene was so dire. It was also, apparently from the articles published in the Post then, a nice finger in the eye to the chair of the Democratic Party who had snubbed Houston in favor of Atlanta due to concerns about the facility not being able to open on time for the 1988 DNC. Even after the city had offered a $5 Million insurance policy from Lloyds of London to assure them that it would be ready.

At the time, essentially the only development that was pitched on that side of downtown would've been a 40+ story, $100 Million Dollar convention center hotel that would've opened in the early 90s.

Guess where it was to have been built: A majority of what is now Discovery Green, from what is now the Crawford Promenade, all the way to Avenida de las Americas, wiping out Lamar and McKinney south of what was then Crawford Street. It was, at the time, known as "The Superblock" and was never intended to be a park. It was a placeholder property donated by Texas Eastern and there were always plans to build office space and a hotel regardless if it were the city's development or another outside entity.

I say all of that to say this...

I'm not a Polyanna when it comes to development or anything, nor do I know anything specific about the blocks where the residential or hotels would be located, but 30 years or more is a bit far-fetched, given what can happen in just over 20.

Edit: Or yeah, what Red said. :D

Edited by ChannelTwoNews

That picture has 4 new residential buildings, a new stadium, an expansion to the GRB, and a new convention center hotel all in a 5-7 block area. Even if downtown were to add 4 new residential buildings, I would be surprised if they are all along Crawford between the park and MMP. Add that to the current state of the economy, which will most likely wipe out any thought of new residential development downtown in the next 5 years, not to mention compelely alter the development environment in America. I don't expect Miami and Vegas like development anymore, especially not in Houston

And don't forget that when Houston grows, it grows all over the place at a realistic and steady pace.

It may sound pessimistic to some of you, but maybe I've just learned not to set unrealistic expectations. And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a negative nancy.

Most of those buildings have already been proposed, and many have been discussed on this forum. The new hotel is being discussed. The parking garage is a natural addition if the hotel is built. The building north of Discovery Tower is a hotel proposal, IIRC. The stadium is in serious discussions. For all I know, the other two buildings are also proposed projects, as opposed to pipe dreams, as you suggest.

Development is all about trends. In the 70s, the trend was moving away from downtown. Now, the trend is moving toward it. While we have likely seen the last of easy credit, it does not mean that the trend toward downtown will end. More likely, it merely slows...and not by 30-40 years...more like 3-4 years.

You are sure doing a good job of it, for not trying. ;-)

30-40 years for 4 new residential buildings, one hotel, and a small stadium (which I don't think is quite correct, but let's go with that for the moment). And you think that should likely take 30-40 years? In Houston Texas? There's a LOOOOOONGGGG distance between the out of sight building (and overbuilding) seen in Las Vegas and Miami and the VERY slow building that would be required to add 4 residential buildings, one hotel and a small stadium (oh and the addition of a parking garage to the convention center) in 30-40 years.

Let's look at the past 30-40 years, shall we?

In the past 30 years, in that general area of downtown.

-- The huge GRB Convention Center (built and added-to).

-- Hilton Americas (equivalent to the hotel in your list)

-- Discovery Green

-- One Park Place

-- 5 Houston Center

-- Discovery Tower

-- MinuteMaid Park

-- Rehab of vacant International Trade Center into Inn at the Ballpark

-- Fulbright Tower

-- 4 Houston Center and The Shops at Houston Center

-- Four Seasons Hotel and condos

-- 1 Houston Center

-- Toyota Center

-- Toyota Center parking garage

-- Hilton Americas/GRB Parking garage

-- Holiday Inn Express

-- Lofts at the Ballpark

-- Stanford Lofts condos

I'm sure I'm leaving some out. And as Redscare already pointed out, the vast majority of this list was accomplished, not in 30 years, but in 9 years!

Let's see, that's 1 huge hotel, 1 large hotel, and 2 small hotels.

1 large and 1 smaller stadium/sports facilities

1 huge convention center

1 shopping mall

3 residential buildings (plus the condos in the Four Seasons)

5 large office buildings

and Discovery Green.

Makes the 4 residential buildings, one hotel and 1 small stadium in 30 years, let alone 40 look like a major underachievement. (FWIW, I believe that 2 of the buildings you are counting as residential are actually slated to be hotels.)