Embassy Suites By Hilton Houston Downtown At 1515 Dallas St.

ricco67

It looks like they're working on the 9th of 22 floors. So, it still has some to go plus a crown. It'll probably be 330-350 ft. Not bad for infill and certainly better than a parking lot...

When you drive down Allen Parkway and enter downtown where it becomes Dallas, it is becoming noticeable. From an infill standpoint it is nice to see some height down at the end of the street. Dallas terminates into the convntion center and the street has now really filled in with this building, as well as the 3 blocks of Pavillions. Put it this way, it wasn't more than a few years ago that the last five blocks of Dallas before the convention center felt barren. The height of the hotel at the end of the street has the effect of "lengthening" the street. As a veteran of that part of DT, it's amazing to think of that area before the park, Hilton, Embassy, Park Place, Hess, Houston Center 5, Pavillions, etc.

As of yesterday,

Its going to be nice!

Just wondering about the view though. When looking out of the windows from the front of the building you will see that huge power station. Is there any plan to move that thing or cover it? I think I have seen in Chicago where they covered a power station with a building, that way you would never know it was there and it looks much better.

Its going to be nice!

Just wondering about the view though. When looking out of the windows from the front of the building you will see that huge power station. Is there any plan to move that thing or cover it? I think I have seen in Chicago where they covered a power station with a building, that way you would never know it was there and it looks much better.

This comes down to climate dictating design.

These things have to be COOL to operate properly during the summer. If you cover them up, you would then have to spend a certain amount of power to cool the things down.

Don't really know how other cities with our same climate handles it, but I'm sure they wouldn't want to take on the added expense to do so.

This comes down to climate dictating design.

These things have to be COOL to operate properly during the summer. If you cover them up, you would then have to spend a certain amount of power to cool the things down.

Don't really know how other cities with our same climate handles it, but I'm sure they wouldn't want to take on the added expense to do so.

Any idea how they keep it COOL in the summer now?

• 2 weeks later...

My guess is parking.

It would be so great to see someone build a parking garage with some street-level retail right here. That way, we take care of the growing parking needs for the area, generate some more retail interest, and form a solid link from Houston Pavilions to Discovery Green.

• Like 1

Well, you usually don't expect Embassy Suites to be a defining building in your skyline.

I think this is the best response to all the people who have complained about the Embassy Suites being so short. (+1)

And really hotels in Houston aren't built tall, this is no Miami. Our tallest, the Hyatt Regency, at 30 stories, suffers being

located next to true skyscrapers, and makes no visible impact, although you sometimes see it peeking through buildings when your on the freeway.

The Hilton-Americas makes a good impact from the Gulf Freeway, and thats it.

I think this is the best response to all the people who have complained about the Embassy Suites being so short. (+1)

And really hotels in Houston aren't built tall, this is no Miami. Our tallest, the Hyatt Regency, at 30 stories, suffers being

located next to true skyscrapers, and makes no visible impact, although you sometimes see it peeking through buildings when your on the freeway.

The Hilton-Americas makes a good impact from the Gulf Freeway, and thats it.

They're not right now, but that mentality seriously needs to change. This city is hurting for hotel rooms... especially inside the loop. The Galleria doesn't even have enough for its daily business. Downtown would be able to attract a lot more conventions, festivals, etc. if we had more hotel rooms. Tall is not something I care about, but we need another hotel that is at least the size of the Hilton Americas to be truly competitive.

ES is going to make an awesome impact from 45s.

Edited by totheskies

They're not right now, but that mentality seriously needs to change. This city is hurting for hotel rooms... especially inside the loop. The Galleria doesn't even have enough for its daily business. Downtown would be able to attract a lot more conventions, festivals, etc. if we had more hotel rooms. Tall is not something I care about, but we need another hotel that is at least the size of the Hilton Americas to be truly competitive.

ES is going to make an awesome impact from 45s.

I don't know if the city is really hurting for hotel rooms, last i read in the HBJ, the city's hotel revenues have actually decreased(and predicted to so for the 2nd year in a row), definetely not a sign that more hotel rooms are needed. We're also expected to perform worse than the nation. In the Downtown area, however, you are correct, it does need more hotels.

http://houston.bizjo...29/daily31.html

What's nice is that this area of DT looks like it will be the hotel district, with the Four Seasons, Hilton, Embassy Suites all close together, and OPP, I really see the potential for more resiential and hotels here to create a more virbrant downtown.

Edited by citizen4rmptown

• 2 weeks later...