Sign in to follow this  
Mister X

22-story Embassy Suites @ Discovery Green

I'm telling you, some urban art or maybe a full-building Rockets ad would do well there. Just put some lipstick on that pig! (and make $ off of it)

Agreed. They should put a big Yao Ming mural or something lol.

I spent about eight hours yesterday driving to and from Dallas. I think that the Sheraton is among the most architecturally interesting buildings in Texas, entirely because the proportions and massing are so classy. It is what makes my mouth water when I drive by downtown Dallas (on my way to the northern suburbs, consistently). Too bad we didn't get something more like that.

From now on, every night before I go to bed I will say a prayer that niche and subdude are never put in charge of any building exteriors in Houston. I love mid-century architecture too, but the Sheraton tower in Dallas is the single ugliest building in dt Dallas. The top look likes a giant air conditioner vent. The tacky giant letters don't help. Having two sides with no windows on a tower that tall is a travesty. Worse yet, it is so prominent and ugly that it really does its part in ruining the Dallas skyline. I'd rather have ten more 19-story Embassy Suites in dt Houston that don't stand out, than that hideous monstrosity in Dallas.

Thank you God almighty that we don't have one of these in Houston.

3048828699_83667faa3c.jpg

Is this the Sheraton tower that is being discussed? It doesn't do much for me, certainly doesn't make my mouth water.

3048828699_83667faa3c.jpg

Is this the Sheraton tower that is being discussed? It doesn't do much for me, certainly doesn't make my mouth water.

Must have to see it in person. I thought niche was being sarcastic. That thing is not nice at all.

Must have to see it in person. I thought niche was being sarcastic. That thing is not nice at all.

No, no, I'm very serious. One of the classiest highrise buildings in Texas.

• Like 1

You all think the facade and structure of the Downtown Dallas Sheraton is ugly? The view at street level is just as bad. I thought Starwood would have tried to do something to beautify the building, but alas, those hopes have been dashed.

The DT Houston Embassy Suites I definitely unattractive, but IMHO the DT Dallas Sheraton has it beat In the ugliness department. On the bright side, though, these two buildings can only get better with time, and some architectural improvements.

LOL at this point, I'm far-less concerned with the aesthetics of the Embassy Suites, and far more concerned about adding hotel rooms to the downtown market (thus bolstering our convention ability).

BTW, anyone know of plans for the lobby?? I'd like to find out.

No specific date yet, but the website says the hotel will be opening in January 2011. Also there is some information, I'm not sure how much of this is already known/posted here. It will be the first LEED Certified hotel downtown.

The Embassy Suites Houston Downtown is Houston’s first LEED Certified hotel in the downtown district and features:

• Atrium Lobby and Water Features
  • Roofscape Pool and Spa
  • High-speed Internet Access / WIFI throughout entire hotel
  • 24 Hour Fitness Center by PreCor®
  • Complimentary Cooked-to-order Breakfast
  • Complimentary Evening Manager’s Reception
  • On-site Valet Parking
  • Courtesy Shuttle to downtown destinations
  • 24 Hour Embassy BusinessLink Business Center with Quick Charge Station
  • Gift shop with fully stocked pantry items
  • Restaurant/Bar on-site with street level entry
  • In-Suite Dining
  • Digital Concierge
  • 6,000 SF of Flexible Meeting & Banquet Space
  • Family friendly activities/entertainment on weekends
  • Destination Management Concierge Services

http://embassysuites...J5PTECSGBI12VCQ

..........unfortunately, all those great amenities do not make the building more appealing. ;)

I'm with totheskies on this one. Hopefully these amenities will help guests spend more money in downtown Houston! They had me at the free cooked to order breakfast.

It's not half as nice as the rendering, but it could be much worse.

That seems to be a running theme in Houston construction, save for Hines 47.

I agree with you Jax! My great disappointment with this building is that they got us all excited with the rendering that was initially released only to drastically delete it's most aesthetic features. In essence they over-promised & under-delivered! Imagine getting promised a Lexus (or at least a fully loaded Toyota Avalon) and end up only getting a base-model Corolla. Now there's nothing wrong with a brand new Corolla, it's just less what we expected lol

As I've stated before, had they simply put out the true rendering & built this Embassy Suites as is, then I dont think we'd have half the complaints and "ugly" comments as we're having here. Truth be told, the final product is in line with a typical Embassy Suites and not any uglier. So whoever is comparing this to that Sheraton in DT Dallas is going way overboard.

• Like 1

I agree with you Jax! My great disappointment with this building is that they got us all excited with the rendering that was initially released only to drastically delete it's most aesthetic features. In essence they over-promised & under-delivered! Imagine getting promised a Lexus (or at least a fully loaded Toyota Avalon) and end up only getting a base-model Corolla. Now there's nothing wrong with a brand new Corolla, it's just less what we expected lol

As I've stated before, had they simply put out the true rendering & built this Embassy Suites as is, then I dont think we'd have half the complaints and "ugly" comments as we're having here. Truth be told, the final product is in line with a typical Embassy Suites and not any uglier. So whoever is comparing this to that Sheraton in DT Dallas is going way overboard.

Guess what... You aren't buying the Corolla or Lexus here.. You (The People) aren't buying anything.

Changes always happen in the design process for any number of reasons. Renderings take time, Time is money. Clients don't give a hoot about updating the renderings months and months down the line to update and appease the masses.

Renderings are not contracts with the people. Haifers put way too much stock in renderings.

Most renderings happen very early in the design process for the purpose of getting a client and investors excited, and to come up with a rough idea of what the finished product will look like. 6-12 months down the line when you're dealing with code issues, permitting issues, details, and getting construction documents out the door.. nobody cares about making sure the renderings are updated.

Haifers should accept the fact that changes are guaranteed to happen and that 99% of finished projects will never match the renderings you see when a project is announced.

• Like 1

Actually, if you're a property owner, you did spend $ to help build the Embassy Suites. The E.S. received upwards of $5 million in tax breaks and incentives to build in that location.

Actually, if you're a property owner, you did spend $ to help build the Embassy Suites. The E.S. received upwards of $5 million in tax breaks and incentives to build in that location.

Changes nothing.....

Changes always happen in the design process for any number of reasons. Renderings take time, Time is money. Clients don't give a hoot about updating the renderings months and months down the line to update and appease the masses.

The original promotional poster for Tenneco Tower shows a different entryway than was actually built.

Come on guys, complimentary cooked to order breakfast?? Forget all the rabble about ugly, hook me up with a waffle stuffed with a 9 egg omelet with a pound of bacon in it!

• Like 2

Actually, I'm pretty sure the subsidy was only relating to hotel occupancy tax, not involving property tax at all.

It's not half as nice as the rendering, but it could be much worse.

"It could be much worse" is hardly something to rally around. If the design is rubbish it should be criticized. This is an architecture board after all.

Imagine getting promised a Lexus (or at least a fully loaded Toyota Avalon) and end up only getting a base-model Corolla. Now there's nothing wrong with a brand new Corolla, it's just less what we expected lol.

That's not an analogy that I think that most people will be able to relate to. And it's a weak analogy. Nobody promised you anything.

Niche, go back on vacation for a few more days please..., I was enjoying your absence! You're right, no one promised me anything. Bad analogy or not, you get my point. I understand that the developers of the Embassy Suites owe me absolutely nothing & that they are free to build whatever the hell they want on their land (well atleast in Houston they are). In the same vein, I'm free to criticize, be disappointed, give whatever analogy I choose & expect more for my city. Thank you Sir.

Niche, go back on vacation for a few more days please..., I was enjoying your absence!

What are you talking about? I haven't been on a purely recreational trip in years. ...ugh, you made me contemplate my existence. More tequila is called for.

You're right, no one promised me anything. Bad analogy or not, you get my point.

No.

I understand that the developers of the Embassy Suites owe me absolutely nothing & that they are free to build whatever the hell they want on their land (well atleast in Houston they are). In the same vein, I'm free to criticize, be disappointed, give whatever analogy I choose & expect more for my city. Thank you Sir.

I am free to criticize your criticism.

That's not an analogy that I think that most people will be able to relate to. And it's a weak analogy. Nobody promised you anything.

It made sense to me!

Imagine getting promised a Lexus (or at least a fully loaded Toyota Avalon) and end up only getting a base-model Corolla. Now there's nothing wrong with a brand new Corolla, it's just less what we expected lol

Well try a little constructive criticism every now & then instead of the mumbo-jumbo rambling nonsense you often spit out bruh.

It made sense to me!

It made sense to me, too.

More tequila is called for.

There's your answer.

Yep, another perfect opportunity for Houston, wasted. I drove by the building to see what everyone is so upset about. Not only is the back of the building facing the park, but also the crown where the lighted E is supposed to go. The renderings made it look like it was going to be a light on both sides.

This is probably the ugliest building to go up downtown in the last 30 years... the worst part is it's prime location on the park and the fact that the city subsidized this crap.

I mean if you're going to incentivize building something right on the CBD's most attractive feature, you should be able to demand a certain level of quality in design...

• Like 2

On a positive note, i was driving down 59N, then exited 45N and took a cruise by downtown.... At least the "better" side of ES faces the highway which makes for better skyline shots. I'm not saying this is ideal but it is probably better that the back is facing the park rather than the highway.

Not only is the back of the building facing the park, but also the crown where the lighted E is supposed to go. The renderings made it look like it was going to be a light on both sides.

I mean if you're going to incentivize building something right on the CBD's most attractive feature, you should be able to demand a certain level of quality in design...

Oh snap... Have either of you two called the Architecture Police yet ?!?! I believe "Not matching renderings" is a Class C Felony now.

• Like 1

It looks like a face without eyes, a mouth and ears; the shape but no details.

Pics taken earlier this month. Look closely at the rendering and the building in the 1st pic, you can see where they stopped.

SAM_0733.jpg

SAM_0715.jpg

Damn that's sad! Almost brought tears to my eyes. Just wasted! :(

I nominate this for the 2010 Houston Ugly Building Award. (Previous winners include the Mercer and the downtown Civil Courthouse). We should mock up a little trophy and send it to the developer. The facade looks like a cheap subsidized housing project from the 1970s.

• Like 1

I nominate this for the 2010 Houston Ugly Building Award. (Previous winners include the Mercer and the downtown Civil Courthouse). We should mock up a little trophy and send it to the developer.

I was gonna nominate Mai's.

Edited by TheNiche

Come on guys, all it needs is some snazzy lighting scheme at night and you know you'll love it.

Yes, that would make it slightly better. Kinda like the Memorial building at I-10 and Beltway 8.

Come on guys, all it needs is some snazzy lighting scheme at night and you know you'll love it.

Don't bet on it. It would just be putting lipstick on a pig.

So does this look better than a surface parking lot?

Yes, of course, but if you are trying to imply that we should therefore be grateful and not mind the pig, I don't buy it. Being better than a surface lot doesn't provide an excuse for overt ugliness.