Embassy Suites By Hilton Houston Downtown At 1515 Dallas St.

ricco67

How did Downtown Houston end up with so many contiguous parking lots? How long has our city been around? I find it incredible that for so many decades these city blocks were not used for something either more esthetically pleasing or more profitable. Thank God we are slowly making our built environment more livable. With our track record it's nothing short of a miracle that Discovery Green and the surrounding areas have literally blossomed into something functional and beautiful.

With the plethora of surface lots in downtown, Ive often pondered the same thing myself.

My assumption has always been that, knowing Houstons history of demolishing historic structures, several of those lots probably used to be old circa 20's or 30's buildings. Im pretty sure there has to be some sort of map or grid of downtown that shows what old buildings used to be up on what lots, maybe even with pictures. If anyone knew where to find out it would probably be a poster/s on this site.

With the plethora of surface lots in downtown, Ive often pondered the same thing myself.

My assumption has always been that, knowing Houstons history of demolishing historic structures, several of those lots probably used to be old circa 20's or 30's buildings. Im pretty sure there has to be some sort of map or grid of downtown that shows what old buildings used to be up on what lots, maybe even with pictures. If anyone knew where to find out it would probably be a poster/s on this site.

go to www.historicaerials.com - they have aerial shots as far back as 1957 - it's definitely changed a lot but that's probably the best place to see about any block in particular that you want to see.

Oh yeah, I forgot that i walked off the dimensions the other day after the 5k. Not completely accurate, but it helps a little I guess.

84x37

One Park Place: Length (not including breezeway on north side): 84 steps

One Park Place: Width (not including garage): 37 steps

55x32

Embassy: Length 55 steps

Embassy: Width (entire structure) 47 steps, (room quarters only) 32 steps

Embassy is not really even a very tall building either, so I think it's gonna look like some of the old towers downtown has around, but newer of course.

These are steps from my 6'2" strides

Thanks. That helps me visualize the size at least.

m.

• 2 weeks later...

it seems there is no space remaining on the east side of the block in the rendering, but in the photo there is lots. I wonder if they changed the size, but regardless, I wonder what they'll do with it? Parking?

Embsuites.jpg

taking a second look at the rendering it seems there might be an entrance and exit from La Branch to a check-in area and possibly a small parking lot in front of that facing Lamar.

quote name='fatesdisastr' date='Monday, February 15, 2010 at 8:18 PM' timestamp='1266286736' post='357221']

taking a second look at the rendering it seems there might be an entrance and exit from La Branch to a check-in area and possibly a small parking lot in front of that facing Lamar.

yeah, I guess so. It's just really hard to differentiate between the property and the street and/or the one next to it.

it seems there is no space remaining on the east side of the block in the rendering, but in the photo there is lots. I wonder if they changed the size, but regardless, I wonder what they'll do with it? Parking?

Yea I was thinking about where the parking structure would be after looking at the recent pic taken. Does anyone know how much parking hotels require? Like would they need 1 parking space per room or maybe 1 per every 2 rooms? 3 rooms?

Yea I was thinking about where the parking structure would be after looking at the recent pic taken. Does anyone know how much parking hotels require? Like would they need 1 parking space per room or maybe 1 per every 2 rooms? 3 rooms?

Would you mind reposting your question in "Development and real estate" ? That way people not interested in this project can still see and respond to your more general question. I'm interested, too...

• 2 weeks later...

This area by the Stadiums have come along way since 2008. I remember thinking when they would finish Disco Green. Now 1 Park Place finished, Disco Green finished, Disco Tower almost finished, and the Embassy Suites on its way. Lost at least two parking lots and still have no trouble finding parking @ Rockets games conventions etc!!

Thanks to ES's small size, it will start to grace the southern skyline in just a couple months. wink.gif

It seems like they average almost 1 floor a week!

that is fast

In a half of year to a year from now, when I'm at Discovery Green, and OPP, ES, and Hess Tower are all done, Im actually going to miss the ongoing, never-ending construction that has occured there since it opened. But who knows, maybe that new convention center hotel will actually happen.

Embsuites.jpg

I could be wrong, but I thought downtown couldn't have logo's on the buildings.

I think buildings should be allowed to have logos at the top... It would make for a more interesting skyline...

I'm with you on that. I think that is what makes downtown seem so bland (in my opinion). The city allows all of these billboards and tall signs out side of downtown which I think make the city visually cluttered (thats what needs to be minimized). Why not allow them downtown and liven it up down there. Kind of like Times Square. I want to say the same about METRO, they don't allow advertisement because I they think its tacky. I personally think that it would be cool to have advertisement on sides of buses trains and stations.

I'm with you on that. I think that is what makes downtown seem so bland (in my opinion). The city allows all of these billboards and tall signs out side of downtown which I think make the city visually cluttered (thats what needs to be minimized). Why not allow them downtown and liven it up down there. Kind of like Times Square. I want to say the same about METRO, they don't allow advertisement because I they think its tacky. I personally think that it would be cool to have advertisement on sides of buses trains and stations.

.....and I personally think it would be cool to brand a corporate logo straight onto your forehead.

Hopefully that sounds absurd to you. What have we become, culturally, when a whole generation not only mistakes

marketing for beauty, but longs for the visual blight of ads to 'liven up' public spaces?

• Like 8

What have we become, culturally, when a whole generation not only mistakes marketing for beauty, but longs for the visual blight of ads to 'liven up' public spaces?

What is architecture, in practice, but an attempt by a developer to enhance the marketability of an otherwise commoditized asset?

• Like 2

Nick Massad Jr. ... says downtown (especially near the George R. Brown) is seriously under-roomed considering it has three markets––sports, conventions, and corporate travel. (Most hotels have two.) He says we have 4800 rooms downtown; compare to Austin (5700), San Antonio (12k) or even the Galleria (8k). The hotel will be 19 stories, 262 suites, 80 underground parking spaces, a street-level restaurant, and 6k SF of meeting space. Nick says it took1.5 years to plan and arrange financing, and it’s only happening because of the city’s occupancy tax rebate.

...every inch of the 17k SF lot is being built, which made building the two stories below grade a challenge.

Nick wants to build another hotel with some retail in the area, but it would be at least three years from now.

http://www.bisnow.com/houston_commercial_real_estate_news_story.php?p=7355

What is architecture, in practice, but an attempt by a developer to enhance the marketability of an otherwise commoditized asset?

Deleted non-G posts be damned. I think I've found a solution that would satisfy both your evil secret lair needs and citykid's signage-as-character needs:

conti.jpg

Edited by AtticaFlinch
  • Like 2

Deleted non-G posts be damned. I think I've found a solution that would satisfy both your evil secret lair needs and citykid's signage-as-character needs:

conti.jpg

LOL! That is a little too much character. But what would Times Square be without the ads? NOTHING! Its really a site to see.

.....and I personally think it would be cool to brand a corporate logo straight onto your forehead.

Hopefully that sounds absurd to you. What have we become, culturally, when a whole generation not only mistakes

marketing for beauty, but longs for the visual blight of ads to 'liven up' public spaces?

What else would you have us do to liven up our skyline? Surely there should be far more interesting architecture in our great downtown other than plain boring old boxes. UGH!!