Embassy Suites By Hilton Houston Downtown At 1515 Dallas St.

ricco67

There is a lot of involvement (public officials, etc.) on this project now for it to be dead. That doesn't mean things can't change of course. ChannelTwoNews - my only point was that most "groundbreakings" are mostly ceremonial. In this case, I'm optimistic this project gets going soon.

There is a lot of involvement (public officials, etc.) on this project now for it to be dead. That doesn't mean things can't change of course. ChannelTwoNews - my only point was that most "groundbreakings" are mostly ceremonial. In this case, I'm optimistic this project gets going soon.

I know, and we're in complete agreement. I was only pointing to ill-informed writers as being the only people who had actually leapt ahead and said actual construction had begun.

rolled by the site at about 11 last night after the stros game... lots of activity, buldozers buzzin and everything

Yeah, at 8pm they started tearing up the concrete. Goodbye surface parking lot!

Edited by brian0123

Yeah, at 8pm they started tearing up the concrete. Goodbye surface parking lot!

The HAIF really ought to have a running countdown of CBD surface parking lots on its home page.

Granted, the countdown has slowed considerably in the last year or so... And the raw number would probably be depressingly high. But it'd be neat. I wonder how many there really are? Could be some room for subjectivity in any count, I suppose (half-blocks, blocks connected to freeways, etc.)

I count 75, which includes lots with at least 50% parking space. So if you wanted, you could probably dwindle that down to 60 or so.

We've got a long way to go...

I counted 60 full block equivalents (by adding up all of the 1/2, 1/4, and 3/4 block surface lots. Yes, still a long way to go. But we've also come a VERY long way in a relatively short time:

Toyota Center: 6 blocks

Hilton Americas/GRB Expansion: 7-8 blocks

Minute Maid Park: 8 blocks

5 Houston Center: 1 block

Hess Tower: 1 3/4 blocks

Houston Pavilions: 3 blocks

New Sacred Heart Cathedral 1 block

Christ Church Cath Expansion 1 block

1000 Main 1 block

1500 Louisiana 2 blocks

Embassy Suites 1 block

717 Texas (fka Calpine Twr) 3/4 block

Discovery Green 3 blocks

Civil Court House 1 block

Criminal Court House 1 block

County Pkg garage 1 block

Holiday Inn Express 1/2 block

new fire station 1 block

Metro HQ/Transit Ctr. 1 block

New YMCA 1 block

That comes to approximately 44 blocks in approximately 10 years (minus 1/4 block lost to surface parking by destruction of old hotel). So, net 43 1/4. At this pace, we'll be rid of all of our surface parking in another 15 years. ;)

Edited by Houston19514

Good list 19514.

I am not sure if these were empty blocks, but you might be able to add the Holiday Inn Express, new fire station, the new YMCA, and the METRO Admin Tower and Transit Center to your list.

Of course, we're lost a few buildings too though like the old Milam (or was it Penn?) Hotel near Minute Maid Park.

Good list 19514.

I am not sure if these were empty blocks, but you might be able to add the Holiday Inn Express, new fire station, the new YMCA, and the METRO Admin Tower and Transit Center to your list.

Of course, we're lost a few buildings too though like the old Milam (or was it Penn?) Hotel near Minute Maid Park.

Thank you. I was sure I was leaving a few out. I will edit. As to buildings lost, I think that hotel might be the entire list of buildings lost that have been replaced with surface parking.

Thank you. I was sure I was leaving a few out. I will edit. As to buildings lost, I think that hotel might be the entire list of buildings lost that have been replaced with surface parking.

haha man you guys hardcore, very impressed this has already gone down...

There was a building over by Franklin and Chenevert that was bulldozed for parking about 3 years ago. It was either 1/4 or 1/2 of a block. Also, the old bus station at Texas and Austin was knocked down for parking about 8 years ago. I believe it was 1/2 a block. Wasn't there a motor bank knocked down in northwest downtown a few years back (not sure if a drive-through should even count)?

Went by there today...Zero activity. What little bit of concrete they were breaking up is all they've done.

Does anyone know why they would start then stop?

Perhaps it got dark? I will see if I can drive by there later...

Went by there today...Zero activity. What little bit of concrete they were breaking up is all they've done.

Does anyone know why they would start then stop?

Because they have yet to really even start, I'm guessing.

Only Wednesday, around midday, did they begin to move the construction trailer onto the site. Looked like half of a double-wide, IIRC. So, I'd say they're still in the process of getting equipment to the lot.

Edited by ChannelTwoNews

• 2 weeks later...
the second one is awesome....

That's the "action" shot ;-)

I wanted to get closer in the first video, but the sidewalk was closed off, with a police office guarding it. I didn't really push the issue.

I would love to be a regular contributor of downtown construction photos to haif. Now if I could just figure out how to get photos from my iphone to haif/internet, we'll be set.