Embassy Suites By Hilton Houston Downtown At 1515 Dallas St.

ricco67

38 bucks for a Key map, or 10 bucks EVERY month for GPS service on my phone? Yeah, Key maps are still worth it.

I've had Gps and google maps on my blackberry and now iPhone (on which I type this) for several years at no cost above base data rate.

Couldn't live without it.

I've had Gps and google maps on my blackberry and now iPhone (on which I type this) for several years at no cost above base data rate.

Couldn't live without it.

Until the Key Map grid gets exported in a format that can be superimposed over smartphone mapping and GPS displays, Key Maps will still be useful. They are basically indispensable for real estate and related industries, in addition to those listed earlier. The Key Maps tend to be updated more regularly (sometimes even prematurely) and there are many segments of road (many of which have been around for years) where addresses simply aren't programed in on software, whereas someone glancing at a Key Map can intuit where the address of a new facility might be by glancing at a nearby block number.

Key Maps are also very useful for crowded neighborhoods such as Downtown, the TMC, the Galleria area, and in Greenway Plaza, where they have special maps in the front of the book that show the edge of pavement, building footprints, and labels for any facility you could ever want to know the name of.

And in addition to pointing out where fire, police, libraries, etc. are, large retail centers throughout Houston are identified by name. And Key Maps are available not only for Harris County and nearby areas, but for Brazoria/Galveston Counties and for Montgomery County. Electronic maps can sometimes be finicky about guiding you accurately to a rural addresses, and it's helpful to have a backup.

Cool, I have a recent one of those (2007) plus one I found in my dad's old crap dating to 1986. It's way cool seeing the names of developments in that era, including a lot of sites platted for malls that were never built. Williamsburg and Tang City malls? huh?

It's way cool seeing the names of developments in that era, including a lot of sites platted for malls that were never built. Williamsburg and Tang City malls? huh?

Tang City Mall WAS built in the early/mid 80's. It was a Chinese themed strip mall located on US90 near Post Oak. It never had more than a few stores in it and only lasted a few years. IIRC it was overgrown with weeds in the early 90's. I haven't driven down there in years so I'm not sure what's left of it now. It's probably totally disintegrated.

Tang City Mall WAS built in the early/mid 80's. It was a Chinese themed strip mall located on US90 near Post Oak. It never had more than a few stores in it and only lasted a few years. IIRC it was overgrown with weeds in the early 90's. I haven't driven down there in years so I'm not sure what's left of it now. It's probably totally disintegrated.

They demolished it several years ago, though I think the portion that was built was supposed to be the first phase in a larger project that would've included a traditional-type enclosed shopping mall. I recall seeing a rendering from around the same time that showed as much anyway.

What's funny is that I recall seeing it being used in a tourism video circa 1986/87, with scenes of people all over the place. Must've been opening day, another asian mall, or a number of actors hired based on what I remember seeing riding by growing up.

Edited by ChannelTwoNews

• 4 weeks later...
That sign's been there for eons. I remember seeing it last year when DG opened.

This is the one you saw last year,has been there since they tore down the Banquet Hall.

(5 Houston Center on the left)

dt145-1.jpg

The pic I previously posted, that sign (thats looks exactly the same but on a different side of the parking lot) has been there for about two weeks.

Note:Toyota Center is in the background.

Edited by UpuPUp!

Before this completely devolves into an argument over sign placement, Urbanerd is right. The signs have been on the perimeter of the site for a while.

One facing La Branch near Lamar and the other (of which there are two photos of on this page), near the corner of Crawford and Dallas. One, at least, was there prior to the hotel announcement several years ago.

At any rate, since April is around the corner, I remain guardedly optimistic that this could get underway in the next few weeks.

Before this completely devolves into an argument over sign placement, Urbanerd is right. The signs have been on the perimeter of the site for a while.

One facing La Branch near Lamar and the other (of which there are two photos of on this page), near the corner of Crawford and Dallas. One, at least, was there prior to the hotel announcement several years ago.

At any rate, since April is around the corner, I remain guardedly optimistic that this could get underway in the next few weeks.

They did say groundbreaking was in April... let's hope! ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
That's a drilling truck, and the resevoire is to pump water into the ground as they drill to soften the soil. It's also designed to pump water to the drill bits to keep them cool.

Does the fact that the truck/equipment (soil testing?) is there mean construction is imminent? Or does this sort of thing happen, and then nothing for months?

They did similar soil testing last summer on the site, so I'm not really sure what this means.

Terracon are environmental consultants. They probably conducted Phase I and/or Phase II environmental studies last year to satisfy lender requirements, and are now conducting a geophysical analysis which can be used for structural design and engineering.