Northline Commons Shopping Center Developments

citykid09

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IT'S A GREAT IDEA!

SOMETHING LIKE THE VILLAGE THAT HAS BIG NAME STORES, GAP, EXPRESS ETC.. WOULD BE A TREAT. GREENSPOINT NO LONGER HAS AN EXPRESS AND NORTHWEST NO LONGER HAS A NEW YORK OR OLD NAVY. MAKE THIS THE TRENDY HOT SPOT. MAKE THIS A HUGE CONVINIENCE FOR PEOPLE OF ALL AGES. LET GO THESE SMALL TIME RINK-A- DINK SHOPS. FLOW WITH VARIETY AND I'M SURE IT WOULD NEVER GO WRONG. THE COMMUNITY COLLEGE IS ON SITE....MAKE THIS FUN.

-THAT'S MY OPINION.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I also live in the Lindale park area and I do think that is a good idea because really there are no places of any convenience to shop. The only Wal-mart that is around is on 45 at West road and that place is a nightmare, overcrowded, poorly maintained and usually understocked. And forget finding a Target or a decent grocery store close by.I like you will take what I can get. I see anything as an improvement.

HELLOOOOOO.....Is it me or nobody has noticed that they just bought a HUGE land on Taylor street near the heights and just finished building a new Target. they are also going to make a bike trail and a bunch of restuarants and retails stores including 2 banks..?? and its only like 3-4 miles from northline

heres the link...Sawyer Heights Village Target

Edited by deliriouz

I still live by Northline Mall and I agree that something does need to be done with it.

Its kind of sad when the only thing a mall has to offer you is tennis shoes and a burger king.

Yeah it is pretty bad I call it the "Hallway"

QUOTE(Artgirl @ Friday, February 4th, 2005 @ 3:42pm)

I also live in the Lindale park area and I do think that is a good idea because really there are no places of any convenience to shop. The only Wal-mart that is around is on 45 at West road and that place is a nightmare, overcrowded, poorly maintained and usually understocked. And forget finding a Target or a decent grocery store close by.I like you will take what I can get. I see anything as an improvement.

Yeah that Walmart and the one off of Dunville or just nasty. I heard the rumor of a Walmart or Target going up where it's being demolished. Does anyone know if anything is set in stone open air market, walmart, target or yes more parking?

• 1 month later...
How come there is no Starbucks in the Northline area or in the mid to lower income level areas? Everyperson, regarding of income likes coffee.

Yeah but not everyone regardless of income is willing to shell out X amount for a cup of coffee when you can get your cup from home or a corner store for much cheaper. Starbucks caters to where the starbucks drinkers are or could be if there is a need there will be.

Usually it's because no one from the area has bought a franchise yet. These companies are eager to expand into all sorts of new areas, but usually can't (or won't) do anything until someone decides to take on the task. If you're looking for a career change, it could be a good opportunity. From what I've read, new franchisees tend to get a lot of help from the company setting up.

Usually it's because no one from the area has bought a franchise yet. These companies are eager to expand into all sorts of new areas, but usually can't (or won't) do anything until someone decides to take on the task. If you're looking for a career change, it could be a good opportunity. From what I've read, new franchisees tend to get a lot of help from the company setting up.

I thought Starbucks didn't franchise....so it said on there site a couple years ago. That's why I bought some stock, I haven't really kept up with the company :blush:

Edited by JGraspo

I thought Starbucks didn't franchise....so it said on there site a couple years ago. That's why I bought some stock, I haven't really kept up with the company :blush:

Well hopefully a Starbucks coffee comes in to these areas. I heard that they are tearing down Northline Mall and turning into a retail strip center. Hopefully Starbucks becomes one these retail stores.

I as a professional, have grown up in the Northeast Houston and want to stay living in the inner city. I just hope one day the Northeast Houston will get the attention that other inner parts of the city have been getting lately.

but they do have at least one company partnership. The Gulfgate Starbucks is an Urban Coffee Opportunity store - a partnership with Magic Johnson.

http://www.johnsondevelopmentcorp.com/starbucks/index.html

There are many Coffee Kiosks / Vendors that may not be Starbucks per se but they still sell Starbucks coffee. But if you see a store with the name Starbucks on it then it is owned by corporate.

There is a Starbucks not too far from Northline. It's on the North Loop at either Airline, North Main, or Shepherd/Durham I think. Needless to say, I was surprised and impressed to see one there.

There is also a Starbucks down on I-45 and the West road area in front of Best Buy.

• 1 year later...

Don't know if there's a thread on this so here it is. Feel free to merge if there is.

I went to Northline Mall the other week to get a haircut. At "Mikes" (looks outdated but cheapest, fastest, best bald fades in town, the chicas there aren't too bad either). Anyways I noticed just about everything there was closed or no longer there. The only places still there besides Mikes was some shoe stores and HCC.

I asked the lady cutting my hair what was going on. She said that Nortline Mall is no longer Northline Mall, that it's going to be the Northline Shopping Center. And that everything will get leveled. I'm sure most have seen the "open air" shopping or group of strip center's going up. What I didn't know was that their will be a Walmart going up aswell.

I'm really not too happy about that. For the most part because of how the other Walmarts around town have gone to crap. Sure the over all change and additions can't be any worse than what's there now, can it?

Maybe the light rail stopping there might make the developers want to make the Northline Shopping center shine. One can dream ;)

It is Northline Commons now according to the story they had on the news yesterday. the stores that they specifically mentioned that would be opened were Marshall's, Ross, and Office Depot. My aunt still walks in the mall and mentioned that the Walmart is still rumor.

Edited by musicman

I have not seen any of these changes as I stay as far away from Northline Mall area as possible. As a child I was there almost every weekend because my mom loved Joske's (me too). But the crime in the area had gotten so bad, I just stayed away after Joske's left. Can anyone give an update on that subject? Has the crime in the area improved?

To get a Walmart on this side town would be great. I live in Oak Forest which is not too far from Northline. The closest Walmart to me is at 290 and Hollister. This store has been being "remodeled" for over a year... and the place is a dump. I refuse to go to that location... instead... I drive over to the 1960 location (across from Kohls). The Walmart on Westheimer as been riddled with crime, so that location is out for me. And if Northline gets a Walmart, I would be worried about the same thing.

I'm all for the open area concept. My favorite place to shop now is Meyeland Plaza. I would love for Northwest Mall to be knocked down and a copy of Meyerland to be put on this corner of the loop.

If the crime in the Northline area has gotten better, then I'm all for these improvements.

I'm mystified by the attraction to the "open plan" concept a la Meyerland as opposed to an enclosed mall. I can understand why the developers might prefer it, but the last thing I want to do in Houston in August is crisscross a vast asphalt or concrete parking lot on foot to visit several different stores.

Still, Northline's been going downhill for years, and anything that rejuvenates it is better than letting it stand as is. Anyone know when demolition of the existing mall is scheduled to begin? I wouldn't mind walking the mall one last time before it meets the wrecking ball - lots of memories there.

I'm mystified by the attraction to the "open plan" concept a la Meyerland as opposed to an enclosed mall. I can understand why the developers might prefer it, but the last thing I want to do in Houston in August is crisscross a vast asphalt or concrete parking lot on foot to visit several different stores.

Still, Northline's been going downhill for years, and anything that rejuvenates it is better than letting it stand as is. Anyone know when demolition of the existing mall is scheduled to begin? I wouldn't mind walking the mall one last time before it meets the wrecking ball - lots of memories there.

from the property maintenance standpoint, not having to air condition halls saves money.

some of northline has already been demolished, so you better go now to the part that's still open.

Isn't there a Walmart already close to Northline Mall the one mentioned at I-45 and West Rd. Ross and Marshall's are the only large tenants for the new Northline Commons?

yes there is a walmart at west road. ross and marshall's are the only announced large tenants as is office depot from the wulfe standpoint. since wulfe also is doing gulfgate, it may take time til all space it taken from how gulfgate is progressing. gulfgate still hasn't finished the last planned section.

Edited by musicman

Wal-Mart doesn't come in minority areas...it'll come as the area gradually changes (West Road) but if the area is minority, it's not coming nine times out of 10 unless it's caught in an area where affluent folks, middle class folks and low-income folks are pretty close....The Meyer Park location is a perfect example...

Wal-Mart doesn't come in minority areas...it'll come as the area gradually changes (West Road) but if the area is minority, it's not coming nine times out of 10 unless it's caught in an area where affluent folks, middle class folks and low-income folks are pretty close....The Meyer Park location is a perfect example...

Or maybe they will!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/busine...ff/4914289.html