The Langley: Residential High-Rise At 1717 Bissonnet St.

musicman

What a joke. The traffic studies that were done are fine. It is merely an excuse. Just say, "Some of our big contributors really don't want this in their backyards" and I would have more respect for that.

• Like 2

What a joke. The traffic studies that were done are fine. It is merely an excuse. Just say, "Some of our big contributors really don't want this in their backyards" and I would have more respect for that.

What do these people (oppossing) think will happen in a large city? I live (in the Galleria area) behind a tower that's at least twice as high and several mid-rises while many much richer people in River Oaks live with similar residential projects yet we manage with these or adjust to new projects. It baffling that they such attention compared to other projects throughout the city/metro area. Is this really the most pressing issue now (or at the time this started)? It's not like the developer wants to build a nuclear plant or freeway in the middle of the neighberhood.

Edited by JJVilla
  • Like 2

What do these people (oppossing) think will happen in a large city? I live (in the Galleria area) behind a tower that's at least twice as high and several mid-rises while many much richer people in River Oaks live with similar residential projects yet we manage with these or adjust to new projects. It baffling that they such attention compared to other projects throughout the city/metro area. Is this really the most pressing issue now (or at the time this started)? It's not like the developer wants to build a nuclear plant or freeway in the middle of the neighberhood.

Bissonnet's just small in that area - and there's already functioning apartments at the location.

He does have a point. There is a highrise right at Weslyan @ San Felipe and some apartments, then there is a condo complex just down the street by the railroad track.

Additionally, there is a highrise near Kirby @ San Felipe, and another two along westheimer between Kirby and Edloe....I think.

These locations doesn't seem to have negatively affected the surrounding areas.

Kinda' makes me wonder what opposition was like before these things were built.

God, we're turning into a nation of pansies.

The Galleria area is not only famous it's shopping but also its gridlocked traffic. It's not unreasonable for people to react negatively to the (preceived) impending traffic situation.

I personally believe that if you do not like having a highrise behind you, you probably should work with city council to get a zoning law passed. The city is ready for it and you might as well use this as an impetus to get it done. Neighborhoods should have a say in what goes in your neighborhood versus some opportunistic developer.

I personally believe that if you do not like having a highrise behind you, you probably should work with city council to get a zoning law passed. The city is ready for it and you might as well use this as an impetus to get it done. Neighborhoods should have a say in what goes in your neighborhood versus some opportunistic developer.

The trick is to do it BEFORE anything proposed is done.

Once a developer is buying up land and goes through the system, it's pretty much too late to whine about it.

I consider it neighborhood complacency.

• 2 weeks later...

...But the city rejected the highrise’s plans again yesterday . . . for the 10th time. The city said its own analysis showed the project as currently proposed would result in an “F” level of traffic at the corner of Shepherd and Bissonnet.

....which already exists.

Any ideas?

Unfortunately, the location is the problem for this thing (at least with the city and neighbors). Something like this would be better suited (and approved easier) near the rail line and on a better street system like in Midtown/Museum District. Otherwise, they will keep running into these road blocks. The only ideas I have is that they either: 1) Keep fighting the city and powerful neighbors for who knows how long 2) Continue wasting time and money altering the design and trying to please those that won't be pleased, or 3) Build what they want five minutes away.

Edited by brian0123

• 3 weeks later...

News that this glorious tower will go up has catapulted today into the realm of the top 5 moist wonderful days for Houston. :) I am happy to call this stupendous city my home. :)

Guess you're excited (moist). Sorry, I could not help myself. :)

News that this glorious tower will go up has catapulted today into the realm of the top 5 moist wonderful days for Houston. :) I am happy to call this stupendous city my home. :)

I'm not sure I'd agree if my home was about to be cast in the shadow of this tower.

[EDIT] To appease those who take everything literally.

Edited by barracuda

Great news. Did I hear correctly that they cancelled the retail portion of the project and made it 100% residential?

That's how they got it permitted. Retail obviously means much more traffic thatn 216 apartment units. Of course, there's no telling how many cars a walkable retail option keep off the road...

The traffic impact assesssment said something like 120 trips per hour at peak times. A drop in the bucket. But people will freak out and show what this has been about all along -- having a 26 story tower in your backyard. It's never been about the traffic, it's about people not wanting a tower looming (with scary arms and everything!!) over your house. Can't say I blame them, but they should have put a height restriction on that property before these guys bought it.