695 Rocky River

sevfiv

This 1955 Wilson, Morris, Crain & Anderson home is set to be demolished. The Houston Architectural Guide states:

"The full impact of the Eisenhower era is visible here [in Tanglewood], matured and well maintained: big, low, one-story houses on large, flat lots. One of the very few exceptions to the prevailing stodginess is this flat-roofed contemporary style house designed by Ralph A. Anderson, Jr., with its eroded corner bay held firm in place by the fascia's ruling horizontal."

it is quite a neat house. the owner passed away several months ago, and the house was left to the elements.

695rr001.jpg

695rr002.jpg

695rr003.jpg

I used to ride my bike by that house every day on the way to school as a kid. It's a great place.

What is happening in Tanglewood is beyond disgusting. Rampant consumer culture out of control. Oh, and tasteless builders selling to people with more money than taste.

The neighborhood used to be almost 100% single-story homes with nice yards and HUGE trees. Now, it's becoming one spec home after another and the trees are disappearing to make way for 7,500 square foot homes with 4 car garages and "quarters."

Take a gander of what might replace this beauty (these are all currently homes on the market)

hr1835117-1.jpg

hr1973933-1.jpg

hr1856111-20.jpg

hr1943694-1.jpg

I used to ride my bike by that house every day on the way to school as a kid. It's a great place.

What is happening in Tanglewood is beyond disgusting. Rampant consumer culture out of control. Oh, and tasteless builders selling to people with more money than taste.

The neighborhood used to be almost 100% single-story homes with nice yards and HUGE trees. Now, it's becoming one spec home after another and the trees are disappearing to make way for 7,500 square foot homes with 4 car garages and "quarters."

Take a gander of what might replace this beauty (these are all currently homes on the market)

hr1835117-1.jpg

hr1973933-1.jpg

hr1856111-20.jpg

hr1943694-1.jpg

Mediterrainiuscan shingles everywhere! BARF!!!!! Of all the styles, why run THIS one into the ground?

Mediterrainiuscan shingles everywhere! BARF!!!!! Of all the styles, why run THIS one into the ground?

Agreed. The problem is that I can appreciate a REAL old Tuscan or Spanish home, or even a new one that has accurate detail. Around River Oaks there are a few examples of great 1930's homes in the style that are wonderful. But when Tuscan, Mediterranean, and Spanish are all morphed into one....ugh. At least it's not as ugly as the dark red brick Georgian style craze of the 90's, complete with hunter green carpet and mauve furniture.

But our neighborhoods are starting to look like Orange County, CA.

yeah - i stopped by this evening.

i'll post some more demo photos, and more of the house, too.

there were also a couple of homes down the way on Doliver St. (between Sage and Post Oak) that were done in recently, too <_<

The loss of architecturally significant homes is without question, far reaching. Once removed, there is little to fill the void and worse still, little documentation of any real value. While photographs offer an immediate glimpse of what was, there is no context from which to understand or be edified by the architects concept.

What is needed are floor plans. Unfortunately these take time (at least 20 hours of documentation and AutoCad input -- depending on size of property of course). It would be terrific if there was some sort of mechanism that would allow for field documentation of a structure prior to it's demolition.

As previously stated, once gone... well, that's it.

It's a real shame this one has been removed.

^very true. i only have a very very basic sketch of the house from walking it and looking back at pictures. it was U-shaped with an open courtyard between the two wings.

fwiw, the house sold in late July and the listing price was $1.25 million.

also, does anyone who has seen this house in the past remember anything about the main entrance? the door looked as if had some sort of applied composition on it that was ripped off. the HAR picture is too blurry:

11iionb.png

• 8 months later...

Archived