Amazing Toronto subway station redesign

pretty cool, but there aren't many benches

I've noticed more and more that modern subway systems don't have many (if any) benches at stations. In older systems (Chicago, New York, London) that are still people-driven I've seen lots of benches. But in cities where the trains are computerized, and thus arrive every 90 seconds or less (Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore) benches aren't needed because the next train is always less than two minutes away.

On the other hand, you have places like Tokyo where the trains stop running after a certain hour. If you miss your train, the Japanese think nothing of just sleeping at the train station entrance. I've seen piles and piles of very normal looking people lined up on the floor at Japanese subway stations in suits and professional clothing just waiting for the station to open in the morning so they can go home and shower, then get back on the train to head to work the next day.

Toronto definitely has a more extensive subway system than Montreal, and they have light rail (street cars) as well. But Montreal has trains with rubber tires like busses in their subway tunnels! It seems totally weird at first but Montreal's Metro is a lot quieter and less bumpy than Toronto's TTC subway trains!

Montreal and Toronto are the largest cities I've visited that I didn't use mass transit. Toronto, because I lived in a suburb at the time and the idea of public transit was "scary" (which makes no sense since I grew up on the NYC subways). And in Montreal I didn't use transit because everything I wanted to see was walking distance to my hotel (Saint Paul Hotel - highly recommended.)

Here's a photo of one of Montreal's rubber wheeled trains!

Montreal_metro_tires.jpg

I remembered sometimes we had to wait until 2-3 trains had passed to get into one of those suckers at Beri-UQAM station at rush hour. It was amazing how many people used the Metro.

Montreal's stations aren't as impressive as that Toronto station you posted, but a lot of them have a sort of "60s/70s modern" vibe to them and they were sort of interesting.

Montreal's stations aren't as impressive as that Toronto station you posted, but a lot of them have a sort of "60s/70s modern" vibe to them and they were sort of interesting.

Probably leftovers from Expo '67. It doesn't seem like Montreal really did much after that. It's like the event sucked the life and ambition out of the city and it decided to concentrate on being Old World, which it excels at.

Here's a photo of one of Montreal's rubber wheeled trains!

Montreal_metro_tires.jpg

I remembered sometimes we had to wait until 2-3 trains had passed to get into one of those suckers at Beri-UQAM station at rush hour. It was amazing how many people used the Metro.

A couple of the lines in the Paris Metro use these rubber-wheeled trains, too. I suppose they offer a better ride. I wonder if they are easier/less expensive to maintain and/or build?

Probably leftovers from Expo '67. It doesn't seem like Montreal really did much after that. It's like the event sucked the life and ambition out of the city and it decided to concentrate on being Old World, which it excels at.

Yep you're right. There's a lot of stuff leftover from the expo which makes you feel like you're living in a 1967 vision of the future at times. :)

Toronto is where I fell in love with public transportation. They 'get it' like no American city I've seen.

Glad to see they're continuing the tradition.

I also fell in love with this dynamo!

That is when I visited a few years ago for the Pope's visit to Toronto. Considering the city had hundreds of more people during those weeks, this transporation marvel provided quite well. :P You could even sit on the second level or rather you could climb stairs to sit above like a split level house. Hard to describe.

Archived