Try a New Restaurant this Week

I think it would be fun, since we have so many foodies, to try a new place, some place you've always wanted to go, or maybe a place that's brand new, and write a review of it here this week. I'm going to try to get to this Mexican place on Memorial I know Matt has wanted to try for a while.

Ok, I have tried a couple of the new restaurants over there in the Westgreen shopping center. The Chinese restaurant is HORRIBLE. How in the world do you mess up fried rice and pepper steak ? The other was the Wild Wing Cafe, it is a chain joint, but I think they forgot to send down corporate trainers to show them how to cook their stuff. Good atmosphere, lots of TVs for the games, and cold beer.

• 2 weeks later...

Good idea for a thread, Parrothead - well, at least a couple of us think so.

Cafe Pita +, 10890 Westheimer, about a quarter mile outside the Beltway, Bosnian cuisine.

The meza plate includes soujuk, a dried beef pepperoni-like sausage, but less spicy and salty, very good, and pastrma, listed as pastrami on the menu, another dried beef that is similar to jerky but less tough to chew, also very good. Also ajvar, a minced red pepper (pimento), eggplant, and garlic spread and some feta and jack cheeses, pickled peppers, gherkins and olives that were unremarkable. Avoid the Bosnian Grah, a very bland brown bean soup.

Fried cheese - fresh, in-house made cheese that is really pan-fried, not deep-fried, and not coated in a batter. Addictive.

Lepinja, Bosnia's version of a Middle Eastern flat bread, is very good, stretchy and chewy, like a cross between a pita and focaccia, also resembling an oversized English muffin. I kept thinking it would be very good for sopping up the last of a bowl of Texas Red.

Cevaps (seh BOP, I think), little rolls of minced lamb, onions and garlic, grilled, and served between halves of lepinja like an oversized, unmanageable sausage sandwich, with ajvar and another spread that includes butter and feta. You tear the bread in pieces, wrap it around one of the little rolls, add some of the spreads and minced onions and devour - very good too.

Burek - Bosnian burrito or empanada? and grilled sardines are some of the dishes I haven't tried yet.

Try the Shokata, an imported soft drink that tastes like grapefruit but is actually based on a traditional Bosnian beverage called socata made from elderflower.

There are positive reviews in both the Press and Chronicle.

Also recently tried Louisiana Foods on W. 12th which was recommended in another thread here on HAIF and had some very good crawfish etouffee.

Good idea for a thread, Parrothead - well, at least a couple of us think so.

Cafe Pita +, 10890 Westheimer, about a quarter mile outside the Beltway, Bosnian cuisine.

The meza plate includes soujuk, a dried beef pepperoni-like sausage, but less spicy and salty, very good, and pastrma, listed as pastrami on the menu, another dried beef that is similar to jerky but less tough to chew, also very good. Also ajvar, a minced red pepper (pimento), eggplant, and garlic spread and some feta and jack cheeses, pickled peppers, gherkins and olives that were unremarkable. Avoid the Bosnian Grah, a very bland brown bean soup.

Fried cheese - fresh, in-house made cheese that is really pan-fried, not deep-fried, and not coated in a batter. Addictive.

Lepinja, Bosnia's version of a Middle Eastern flat bread, is very good, stretchy and chewy, like a cross between a pita and focaccia, also resembling an oversized English muffin. I kept thinking it would be very good for sopping up the last of a bowl of Texas Red.

Cevaps (seh BOP, I think), little rolls of minced lamb, onions and garlic, grilled, and served between halves of lepinja like an oversized, unmanageable sausage sandwich, with ajvar and another spread that includes butter and feta. You tear the bread in pieces, wrap it around one of the little rolls, add some of the spreads and minced onions and devour - very good too.

Burek - Bosnian burrito or empanada? and grilled sardines are some of the dishes I haven't tried yet.

Try the Shokata, an imported soft drink that tastes like grapefruit but is actually based on a traditional Bosnian beverage called socata made from elderflower.

There are positive reviews in both the Press and Chronicle.

Also recently tried Louisiana Foods on W. 12th which was recommended in another thread here on HAIF and had some very good crawfish etouffee.

How wonderful! I would love to try that flatbread, I bet it is delicious.

Unfortuantely I have had RAGING morning sickness (what a misleading name) so I have yet to venture out again this past week. If I do go I have begged my husband for chinese food, it seems to be the only thing relatively appetizing to me!! Ah, only 24.5 more weeks to go... :blink:

Last week I ate at the little pink taco stand on Preston, across the street from the Harris County Courthouse. Can't remember the name, but I'm sure everyone's seen it.

It was terrific...much better quality than I expected. I had two super fajita tacos (chicken) and a coke...under $6.00 if I remember correctly. It was also very pleasant to sit outside and eat on the granite sculpture in front of the taco stand, under the shade. The lettuce, tomato, onion, sour cream and salsa was very fresh, and the chicken was excellent as well. Chicken was still moist, not dried out as if it had been pre-cooked.

Next time I have to go to the Harris County building, I'm eating lunch at that taco stand again.

They have tacos, burritos, tortas, hamburgers, sandwiches, and some other Tex-Mex plates. They also advertised breakfast tacos in the morning.

• 4 weeks later...

Cafe Rita (or RIta's Cafe on the streetside sign), 755 Dairy Ashford, across from Stratford Hi. Lebanese/Armenian. 18 salads to choose from including lentil, asparagus, corn, Lebanese potato salad, etc., 3 kinds of hummus, 3 kinds of taboulleh, all very flavorful and low on the oil (lot's of lemon juice). Lamb and chicken kebabs were a little dry but tasty, kafta kebab was excellent. Pita (wedges) have been stale. Daily specials, including leg of lamb on Thursday. Very friendly proprietor. A small section devoted to import foods I have not been able to get close to because of people at the table in front of it. Inexpensive. Vegan and vegetarian options.

Soul-on-the-Bayeaux, Dowling at Cleburne (?) - pricey Cajun soul food dive. Crawfish etouffee very good but waaaaay too salty; the catfish fillet likewise had too much salt in the coating. $13 for a cup of etouffee and 1 catfish fillet at lunch plus some slices of insipid, store bought 'French' bread and no sides. Ridiculous. I'll stick to Louisiana Foods for etouffee and Capt. Benny's, Capt. Tom's or Thelma's for catfish.

Kasra Persian Grill, Westheimer @ Gessner, in the corner behind Yao's. I loved the restaurant and my waiter who tried so hard to please but the food was not very exciting. Torshi, 'pickled vegetables' on the menu is really just a relish and a very tart one at that; taftoon, the Persian flatbread, not as interesting as naan or lepinja' kubideh (minced beef, onion and herb kebab) - underseasoned but there is a shaker of sumac on the table that really helps. Basmati rice with saffron - excellent, couldn't stop eating it. Doogh, the Iranian version of a yogurt drink with herbs but also with carbonated water which over-powered both the yogurt and herbs. I'll give this one another try and order different items. Reasonable prices.

• 4 weeks later...
<br />Cafe Rita (or RIta's Cafe on the streetside sign), 755 Dairy Ashford, across from Stratford Hi. Lebanese/Armenian. 18 salads to choose from including lentil, asparagus, corn, Lebanese potato salad, etc., 3 kinds of hummus, 3 kinds of taboulleh, all very flavorful and low on the oil (lot's of lemon juice). Lamb and chicken kebabs were a little dry but tasty, kafta kebab was excellent. Pita (wedges) have been stale. Daily specials, including leg of lamb on Thursday. Very friendly proprietor. A small section devoted to import foods I have not been able to get close to because of people at the table in front of it. Inexpensive. Vegan and vegetarian options.<br /><br />Soul-on-the-Bayeaux, Dowling at Cleburne (?) - pricey Cajun soul food dive. Crawfish etouffee very good but waaaaay too salty; the catfish fillet likewise had too much salt in the coating. $13 for a cup of etouffee and 1 catfish fillet at lunch plus some slices of insipid, store bought 'French' bread and no sides. Ridiculous. I'll stick to Louisiana Foods for etouffee and Capt. Benny's, Capt. Tom's or Thelma's for catfish.<br /><br />Kasra Persian Grill, Westheimer @ Gessner, in the corner behind Yao's. I loved the restaurant and my waiter who tried so hard to please but the food was not very exciting. Torshi, 'pickled vegetables' on the menu is really just a relish and a very tart one at that; taftoon, the Persian flatbread, not as interesting as naan or lepinja' kubideh (minced beef, onion and herb kebab) - underseasoned but there is a shaker of sumac on the table that really helps. Basmati rice with saffron - excellent, couldn't stop eating it. Doogh, the Iranian version of a yogurt drink with herbs but also with carbonated water which over-powered both the yogurt and herbs. I'll give this one another try and order different items. Reasonable prices.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Soul on the 8ayeaux has the best fried catfish I have ever had the prior post must have had a bad day. These people produce this food from scratch which is not now or never has been cheap. Their food is well seasoned so u do not have to use salt or pepper if u do not understand their concept don't knock it. Thelmas catfish is not in the same category as this place & they can also bbq

I think it would be fun, since we have so many foodies, to try a new place, some place you've always wanted to go, or maybe a place that's brand new, and write a review of it here this week. I'm going to try to get to this Mexican place on Memorial I know Matt has wanted to try for a while.

There's a food site called b4-u-eat.com. But, I did try a new restaurant just this past Sunday on FM 1960 called Tung's Chinese Buffet.

This place has seen better days from an interior decorating standpoint, and stands in what used-to-be a run-down strip-mall right next to an Ace Hardware. But, scary interior aside they had a decent buffet with really decent prices ($6.25).

Most of the items were typical Chinese buffet items but their were a few standouts including fried fish fillets, fried shrimp, and this really interesting shredded steamed cabbage (very mild flavor but really crunchy and not mushy).

The noodles were too big and bland, but the rice was great. Also the broccoli dishes were pretty good.

I did stay away from the dessert dishes as they looked like they'd been sitting out too long and just didn't seem too appealing.

For $20 for me and my mate (with drinks and tip) who could really complain.

soul on the 8ayeaux has the best fried catfish I have ever had the prior post must have had a bad day. These people produce this food from scratch which is not now or never has been cheap. Their food is well seasoned so u do not have to use salt or pepper if u do not understand their concept don't knock it. Thelmas catfish is not in the same category as this place & they can also bbq

Archived