Chuc Wagun Hamburgers

Disastro

I remember a Roy Rogers by Gulfgate Mall close to Woodridge.

I think your correct. For some reason I recall that checkered pattern of white and red like you see on picnic table cloths? It was either on the roof or part of the employees uniforms. Apparently there are some still kicking around but with a more modern look? Yippee cai yay!

http://www.royrogersrestaurants.com/

Roy_Rogers_Restaurant_Promise_Signature.jpg

Wasn't Roy Rogers restaurant kind of popular for a while?

and I wonder if the real actor gave his ok to use his name? I understand you just cant grab a famous name and use it without consent, etc. :mellow:

I'm sure he did.

The RR restaurants didn't seem to do a good job of competing with Arby's and went away...at least in Houston. However, if I am ever in a place with a RR's, I'll have to check it out for old time's sake...

• 2 months later...
Chuck Wagon Alumni Representing!

I worked there back in '76. The same Richard Warren was there. This was my first real job. I had the glamorous task of mopping, taking out the trash, etc. for about $1.50 per hour. Couldn't work in the grill or behind the counter. This was back when a 12-year-old could actually get some semblance of work and, of course, minimum wage rules didn't apply. As I recall, Baskin-Robbins was paying 1.25/hour at the time for 14 year olds.

Hello all, I stumbled across this fourum by searching for "Chuc Wagun".

Richard Warren was my uncle. He was one of the co-owners of the place along with my dad Ken Whetzel, and his friend, Tony.

My dad built the building on the Bissonett location. My grandfather, Marshal Warren, ran the location with the old Wagon top on OST. My mom worked there while she was going to school.

I spent much time there in my teens working jobs around there and making onion rings, which we made fresh each day by hand. Luckly, we had an automatic, "manual" onion slicer that made part of that process a lot quicker. Intresting to hear of so many people that remember the old places. :)

Hello all, I stumbled across this fourum by searching for "Chuc Wagun".

Richard Warren was my uncle. He was one of the co-owners of the place along with my dad Ken Whetzel, and his friend, Tony.

My dad built the building on the Bissonett location. My grandfather, Marshal Warren, ran the location with the old Wagon top on OST. My mom worked there while she was going to school.

I spent much time there in my teens working jobs around there and making onion rings, which we made fresh each day by hand. Luckly, we had an automatic, "manual" onion slicer that made part of that process a lot quicker. Intresting to hear of so many people that remember the old places. :)

You or someone in your family should bring back "The Wagon"...Princes' made a comeback, why not Chuc Wagon? :)

• 1 month later...
The only one I can remember going to was the one on Long Point at Antoine, but I believe there were a number of them around town.

That one was the only one I knew also, so you must be a Spring Branch native too. It must have closed down in the mid-to-late '70's.

• 2 weeks later...
There was a Chuck Wagon on W. 34th st. next door to Waltrip High School, about the 1300 block. I know that it was in operation from the mid 50's until around 1968, likely longer than that.

Wheel Burgers were $.35, Hub Brurgrs were $.25 and Spokes were $.25. They had the best tater tots ever made. When you called to place an order, they answered the phone Chuck Wagon #9. The location is now an abandoned auto repair.

The only better hamburger I ever had as a kid was at Linder Lake. Now that goes back a long, long time.

There is still an old building on Broadway that has the wagon top. I'll see if I can get a pic.

In the 1980's the owners son of that property, had a type of flea market there ,where you could trade items you had, for items they had, and he also sold some metal detectors.You could also commission what you had to sell or he would buy it or trade.

After he left the location, a few years later the Auto Repair shop opened up.

I used to go to Waltrip in the late 60's and remember ordering a "Suicide" soft drink at the Chuck Wagon. You got a little of each flavor of soft drinks they had, and 3 straws to drink it.

I swear you could taste each flavor out of the individual straws!!!!!

• 1 month later...

I worked at the Chuc Wagon on Bissonnet in 1975ish. I remember Richard Warren and his wife, along with several other co-workers. The onion rings were the best. I was actually trying to remember that darn recipe a few months ago. I do remember the Post solicitors (back when there WAS a Houston Post) and that little bitty window next to the large flat griddle that you ordered from. I can still hear those metal spatulas clanging............... The uniforms were yellow checked shirts and those fake leather (vinyl) aprons <ick>. It could be a crazy place at times. For those who worked there, remember the little office in the back...and that squeaky back door? Too funny.

Edited by raindrop

I think there was also one on Lawndale Ave.
It is directly across the street from the current Post Office, or rather slightly to the left of it. Now called Stephanies Bar. :wacko: It operated up until about 1976. I clearly recall that they would stock the soft drinks in those wooden crates and have them on the outside of the building. Thats how trusting it was around there then. Too bad we dont have pictures of the little wagon cover on top of the building.

This also reminded me of the Chuck Wagon dog food commercial. The dog gets startled to see a tiny chuck wagon parading around the kitchen. Remember? :lol: lol

marketingpic6.jpg

Wasn't there something like that next to the East End theater, on 75th? Don't think it was a chuck wagon...was it?

It's funny how so many of the old buildings have those palm trees in by them (see the picture above)...I see it all the time. Vertigo mentioned it before...

Edited by NenaE

That looks like it was painted with that temper paint we used in elementary school

That is quite hilarious, but hey it matches the underpass column's at 45 and Wayside now! Must be the same designer. lol

Hang them pinata's! What the heck... Cinco de mayo's almost here anyway. :lol:

• 2 years later...

My parents purchased a Chuck Wagon built in Dallas, Texas. Our family business is named Carrizales Taco Wagon, but is also known as just the Taco Wagon for short & it is located in Oak Cliff. I would LOVE to see any of the other Chuck Wagon's if they are still standing.Can anyone help me find the other restaurants? I believe there was a total of 7 Chuck Wagon's built. Thanks in advanced for any info or comments.

post-9454-085751700 1285435507_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

There was one in Irving at the Northwest corner of Irving Blvd. and Loop 12. I believe the year was 1953. I remember their slogan was "There is a meal in a wheel", and a "Hub" was a small hamburger, a "Spoke" was a hot dog, and a "wheel" was a giant hamburger. The couple that owned it worked very hard, but did not do well. It was only there for a couple of years, probably because of the dairy queen less than a block away. I also remember that the hamburgers we're really tasteless and looked like they had a cardboard filler in the meat. Too bad they didn't have better quality management at the franchise level, or they could have been the McDonald's of the 50's.

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...

My family owned Chuck Wagon restaurants and they started in Corpus Christi by my Grandmother's brother Richard Warren and my Grandfather Ernest Derr Sr. My entire family grew up working at Chuck Wagon's at an early age including Ernie Derr III, Johnny Derr, Charles Derr and Michael Winner who is my Godfather. The best family story that I have heard from my relatives is that Chuck Wagon was approached by Whataburger around 1954 looking to sell the #1 and #2 Whataburger stores in Corpus Christi for $25,000.00. The Whataburger deal never happened because it did not fit Chuck Wagon's business model due to the Chuck Wagon shape of the burger stands that did not have indoor dining areas. Thank God that this never happened...because Whataburger would probably never existed after 1955!

The one on Crosstimbers...that's the one I remember! smile.gif

Yes the one on 11st is right next to Hogg Middle School and across from Andy's cafe. The building is still there but soon to be lost forever. I remember it operating until sometime around the mid 80's.

post-9910-0-61929400-1341453187_thumb.pn

I worked at the Chuc Wagon on Bissonnet in 1975ish. I remember Richard Warren and his wife, along with several other co-workers. The onion rings were the best. I was actually trying to remember that darn recipe a few months ago. I do remember the Post solicitors (back when there WAS a Houston Post) and that little bitty window next to the large flat griddle that you ordered from. I can still hear those metal spatulas clanging............... The uniforms were yellow checked shirts and those fake leather (vinyl) aprons <ick>. It could be a crazy place at times. For those who worked there, remember the little office in the back...and that squeaky back door? Too funny.

I worked at the 7-11 around the corner from this Chuck Wagon in the fall of 67. Worked there for 3 months before I was transfered to the store behind Westbury Square shopping center. At the Willow Bend location we could smell the Chuck Wagon cooking the french fries and the onion rings, the smell drove us crazy in a good way. The guy running that location told me they had someone that specially grew the onions for all the locations. The onions were a special large size so Chuck Wagon's onion rings were all a good size, they never sold a small onion ring. I never ate onion rings because I didn't like onions, but the smell and the guys I worked with looked loved them so I had to try some. My lack of liking onion rings and onions went out the window after eating those Chuck Wagon onion rings.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

At one time there were 16 Chuc Waguns in Houston. My daddy and his brother ran 3 of them at one time. My cousins ran others. I have fond memories of working there. I guess Chuc Wagun followers know that the Wheel Burger, Hub Burger and Spoke (hot dog) were the components of the contestoga wagon.

Each location had a number. My daddy's CW at Crosstimbers and Yale was #5. He also had on at Bissonet and Kirby...that was #2. In reading this blog I saw lots of familiar names...Richard Warren was my first cousin. My uncle was Marshall Warren. I grew up with the Derr children and if any of them see this blog I would love to get in touch with them. Alas my mother/daddy, Richard and Uncle Marshall has all passed into memory now but I have wonderful memories and stories to tell.

Someone mentioned the plastic box that the money was dropped into the box and change was made with a change machine. I learned to make change at an early age working there.

There was a Chuck Wagon on W. 34th st. next door to Waltrip High School, about the 1300 block. I know that it was in operation from the mid 50's until around 1968, likely longer than that.

Wheel Burgers were $.35, Hub Brurgrs were $.25 and Spokes were $.25. They had the best tater tots ever made. When you called to place an order, they answered the phone Chuck Wagon #9. The location is now an abandoned auto repair.

The only better hamburger I ever had as a kid was at Linder Lake. Now that goes back a long, long time.

There is still an old building on Broadway that has the wagon top. I'll see if I can get a pic.

Best hamburgers/steakburgers ever is still in operation in the East End.......CHAMP BURGER on Sampson a block N. of Harrisburg. Always service with a smile, quick & price is right! Been in business @ 50 yrs by same family. I use every excuse imaginable to swing by for breakfast sandwich [bacon for mine]. Chuck Wagon on 34th was good also. Still remember the tall slim man who was there every time. Next door was the convenice store ?Brennens? which had a great meat dept. Another long time business is the Aztec Tool rental. Owner has made a fortune. Was small building & now has half the block & some down in next block near TC Jester. Always nice, knowledgeable people there......Walking memory lane.