Sunset Coffee Building At 1019 Commerce St.

Lowbrow

I can find recent pictures of the building from the same angle and the placement and size of the windows isn't even the same.

For an example, check this out:

Allens-Landing-Sunset-Building-January-2

Scroll up to the last picture in the "modern pictures" post. It's clearly the same angle, but count the differences.

• Like 2

It's not even the same color brick.  I really doubt that the outside, third floor brick would have been urine soaked.  <_<

Hmmm I was initially disappointed at first as well, but when you put both of the old and new side by side....this building had zero chance of a proper restoration! Sometimes what is there simply can not continue and needs to be replaced. The brick on the old one was a terrible shape. It looked like it had been painted over multiple times and probably had problems internally. I wouldn't be surprised that when the GC and architect were at the site and taking brick out if all the sudden some of the bricks started to fall apart.

The biggest thing they probably had to overcome was the envelope of the building. I mean to fully restore this and bring it up to code???? pfffft talk about nearly impossible. Lets also really really examine this building in the historical context. Is it the architecture that makes it important because I would argue that it's not. What's important is the idea of the building and the past that it represents. If this is the case which I'm sure Lake | Flato came to that conclusion then it would be more faithful to the original to simply completely redo the exterior. It looks like they kept the original super structure because it seems that the brick is not load bearing which means that it's even more expendable.

There has to be a balance between the more militant historical preservation meaning we must protect everything simply because it's been there for a long time, or destroy it and building something new. True preservation has to take the middle path. In this case, a complete restoration wouldn't have been a good idea so it was chosen to instead go for a faithful recreation.

I'm sure in the end we will be more thankful for the direction they took this as it will give the building more life and extend it's importance and building life span.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 3

I'm famously not picky about such things, but it looked like a plain box that was faling apart. Now it looks like a plain box that is entirely usable. Does anyone has an idea what color the brick was originally?

As rendered on my (pretty accurate) monitor, the original brick appeared somewhat darker and redder.  I compared the patch where the paint was gone in the "before" picture side by side with the "after."  The original was much closer to the brick color on the UHD building in the background.

Hmmm I was initially disappointed at first as well, but when you put both of the old and new side by side....this building had zero chance of a proper restoration! Sometimes what is there simply can not continue and needs to be replaced. The brick on the old one was a terrible shape. It looked like it had been painted over multiple times and probably had problems internally. I wouldn't be surprised that when the GC and architect were at the site and taking brick out if all the sudden some of the bricks started to fall apart.

The biggest thing they probably had to overcome was the envelope of the building. I mean to fully restore this and bring it up to code???? pfffft talk about nearly impossible. Lets also really really examine this building in the historical context. Is it the architecture that makes it important because I would argue that it's not. What's important is the idea of the building and the past that it represents. If this is the case which I'm sure Lake | Flato came to that conclusion then it would be more faithful to the original to simply completely redo the exterior. It looks like they kept the original super structure because it seems that the brick is not load bearing which means that it's even more expendable.

There has to be a balance between the more militant historical preservation meaning we must protect everything simply because it's been there for a long time, or destroy it and building something new. True preservation has to take the middle path. In this case, a complete restoration wouldn't have been a good idea so it was chosen to instead go for a faithful recreation.

I'm sure in the end we will be more thankful for the direction they took this as it will give the building more life and extend it's importance and building life span.

It's not only architecture that can make an old brick building worth saving, but also the fact that it probably had multiple layers of brick, giving the wall a much more authentic feel (especially noticeable in window openings), as well as the individual bricks having a more charming (because less perfect) shape. And I've never heard of brick disintegrating because it was 100 years old.

But you're probably right (at least I hope) that it had structural issues.

With such a radical change of, well, everything.....

Why bother to save anything......

They should have bulldozed it and built a modern structure from scratch. The entire purpose of historic renovations is to renovate historic buildings (often at significantly more cost than new). But, if they were essentially going to create a new building, why bother to do anything but bulldoze?

How about we hold judgement until the finished product yeah?

The very fact that we should "wait for a finished product, yeah" is indicative of the fact that this was not a "historic renovation" as described in the press prior to work starting. Rather, it seems to be a complete gut and rebuild job.

If it was a historic renovation, we would KNOW what it was going to look like, right?

Personally, I am fine if they wanted to bulldoze the thing and build new. But let's not call it a "renovation" of a historic building when it is not.....

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 2

The very fact that we should "wait for a finished product, yeah" is indicative of the fact that this was not a "historic renovation" as described in the press prior to work starting. Rather, it seems to be a complete gut and rebuild job.

If it was a historic renovation, we would KNOW what it was going to look like, right?

Personally, I am fine if they wanted to bulldoze the thing and build new. But let's not call it a "renovation" of a historic building when it is not.....

Yes, because every building that's ever been midway thru construction looks perfect and exactly how it should. I'm sure 609 is just going to leave those columns open as well as the Finger Ballpark apartments are going to keep that nice, yellow outer coating texture we've come to appreciate.

The building isn't done, yet you and so many others are crying like its the end of the world. IronTigers pic doesn't help your argument when it looked like crap to begin with. The history behind the original building is what's important.

The building isn't done, yet you and so many others are crying like its the end of the world. IronTigers pic doesn't help your argument when it looked like crap to begin with. The history behind the original building is what's important.

I am not "crying" about this building as I could care less if they bulldozed it, historically renovated it, or simply gutted it like they did. What I care about is calling something in the press a "historic renovation" (as I recall) when it is not.

The picture above of the "before" image shows a badly worn building. While it is possible that this is not the original facade, my bet is that it is. Notice it also shows a building with a specific set of window placements of a specific size on one facade. That has changed.

The brick is all new. It seems that no effort was made to conserve any of the old brick above the "urine line". My further guess is that this brick is also totally modern brick. It likely has a different chemistry and look from brick of 1900.

The windows all appear to be new but appear to have the same design. That's good.

The final building might look great and be very functional but it will not have been "historically" renovated. Rather, it will have changed in a material ways. I am totally and completely fine with that change. Bothers me not. But, the press before construction should have been accurate and simply said that the building would be stripped bare and renovated to fit modern uses.

Edited by UtterlyUrban