Sunset Coffee Building At 1019 Commerce St.

Lowbrow

to tie the bums together with the Sunset Coffee Building...

A friend and i did some filming in from of that building due to it being a one time home of Love Street Light Circus Feel Good Machine (try saying that while cameras are pointing at you, even after a few minutes of rehearsing it in your mind...lol)

the place stunk. Bums peed everywhere down there. They probably had to remove all the brick because it was so saturated with urine from over 40 years of serving as a restroom for the street people, there was no rehabbing it.

Anyway, once the construction is done, the building should have a state historical marker added out front, if anything, because it's where ZZ Top played their first gig.

I'm a fairly experienced moleman. That looks like something that existed prior to any work done on this spot recently. I'd guess some kind of storm drain pipe down to the bayou. 

The nearest tunnel connection is a long way from there (717 Texas, probably) and uphill quite a bit. 

• Like 2

I'll come above ground long enough to pile on with Nate and swtsig.  

The tunnel system in general evolved as a way to get from one office building or parking structure to another, as an amenity built and paid for by the building developers.  A tunnel to Allen's Landing from private buildings would require burrowing under a bunch of existing structures, few if any of which would have much interest in being hooked up.  The closest access would be the county system among the courthouses, but I really don't see much desire to put in a spur from the tunnel to the criminal courthouse.

I'm definitely not a mole man. I try to avoid the tunnels unless it's a torrential downpour and I forgot my umbrella. It's like a claustrophobic mall food court down there. I don't get the appeal. I enjoy a little sun and don't mind a little sweat.

</off topic rant>

• Like 2

It's a little hard to tell from my photos but I believe they have also removed the concrete floors on every level except the bottom floor. I'll try to take a picture this week from the Main bridge to try to confirm this.

It's a little hard to tell from my photos but I believe they have also removed the concrete floors on every level except the bottom floor. I'll try to take a picture this week from the Main bridge to try to confirm this.

Wow, what's left?

A total interior gutting down to the walls? Sure, I could see that.

Removal of the bricks that were urine-soaked and not salvageable? A bit disappointing, but I can see that.

Taking out the floors? Whoa now. Why not just have the bulldozers tear into the building?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...