Sunset Coffee Building At 1019 Commerce St.

Lowbrow

• 3 weeks later...

From the Buffalo Bayou Partnership's Facebook Page today...

The final contract has been signed for Buffalo Bayou Partnership and Houston First Corporation’s Sunset Coffee Building – renovations will begin next week (photo includes BBP President Anne Olson and Project Consultant Ian Rosenberg). Look ...for fencing and construction to begin at Allen’s Landing! Completion will be the end of this year and Houston will have a canoe, kayak and bike rental facility on the ground floor, BBP’s office and meeting, exhibition and rental space will be available.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad someone finally got a picture of this. It's funny how everyday they kept moving the construction fences closer to the road. The first day they started this project, there were A LOT of homeless people just chilling next to this project because the construction workers kicked them out from the property and left enough space in the front for them to sit down. Now, they've moved the fence all the way to the street and I haven't seen them around anywhere now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow!  They might as well build something completely new with that level of "renovation"!  How can this even qualify as "historic" after this?

- Not to be a debbie downer... but I've always felt like this one particular project on the Buffalo Bayou Master Plan was weak.  How many visitors do you actually think will use this center?  And why would many from Houston use it?  You can simply access the bayou at any number of points around town.  Which don't mistake my question - I LOVE what the BB people have done and are doing, but always felt underwhelmed by the Sunset Coffee Building from day one (years ago).

Really excited about this, personally. The perspectives of the Bayou and the city there are totally unique. Feels like you're in a completely different city. The upstream efforts on the bayou will make the water down there much cleaner. I think it'll be a great success.

• Like 1

I thought there were going to be other kyack kiosks further upsteam?

If only the BBMP could have had some grand plan to remove/relocate the city jails?!  Unfortunately with the Criminal Justice Center across the Bayou from them it seems like a prospect we may not be able to address again until 2030 or some other later day.

For at least the past several years, Allens Landing has been a major Hobo Camp every time I have walked down there. Females I've taken there were anxious to leave and  refused to return out of fear of the Hobo masses that gather there.

The fact that the hobo camps have been cleaned up from one of my favorite places (and perhaps most historically relevant place) in the city makes this project a huge success in my eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxBaS724uYk

Edited by LarryDierker
  • Like 3

houston is slowly but surely embracing and utilizing its bayou systems.  this is but one more opportunity to point public and pedestrian focus toward, rather than away from, the bayous. if we were an older european city our bayous might have controlled water levels (house boat anyone?) with wide pedestrian waterfront boulevards winding through every inner loop neighborhood.  yes, on a small scale, the sunset coffee building project may seem out of the way or singular; on the contrary, it is a key historic location, it adds another focal point on the bayou, and it continues the success of the buffalo bayou project.

plus, if memory serves, it is another lake/flato project for houston; a firm who's work i covet for our town.

• Like 3

For at least the past several years, Allens Landing has been a major Hobo Camp every time I have walked down there. Females I've taken there were anxious to leave and  refused to return out of fear of the Hobo masses that gather there.

The fact that the hobo camps have been cleaned up from one of my favorite places (and perhaps most historically relevant place) in the city makes this project a huge success in my eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxBaS724uYk

Why would you ever take a date to a place you knew was infested with Hobos?....

• Like 1

Why would you ever take a date to a place you knew was infested with Hobos?....

Didn't say date. But why? because it's one of my favorite places in the city, and the cities birthplace. But now we're getting off topic.

Just happy the Hobos are gone.

Edited by LarryDierker

So from reading the previous comments here, there was a mention of making the first floor porous somehow--what I'd like to know is how did they even get this built? When it was built (less so today, though still risky) it would be extremely prone to flooding.

Didn't say date. But why? because it's one of my favorite places in the city, and the cities birthplace. But now we're getting off topic.

Just happy the Hobos are gone.

I'd argue that the thread went off topic when Hobos were first brought up but you're right, it's nice to have that part of the city back.

There are usually festivities on weekends right outside the coffee building and on the other side of the main street bridge.

It really is a scenic area.

The area on the other side is even more scenic, the area from the old pump building offers interesting views but the jail is right there and Hobos still sleep on that side of the bayou. I have nearly tripped over so many hobos sleeping next to the train tracks under UHD or just near the jail