Sunset Coffee Building At 1019 Commerce St.

Lowbrow

I do it every year. It's aweseome. It's more polluted downstream, then up. The section through memorial park and river oaks would surprise you. Look in the photo section wehre I posted some photos a year ago. It's a cool trip.

I think this will link you...

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/index.php?showtopic=15519

Nice pics! I bike and run along the bayou all the time and have never seen an alligator (or is that a croc?), very cool!

(I was actually surprised to see a family of rabbits living near the bayou close to downtown)

I do it every year. It's aweseome. It's more polluted downstream, then up. The section through memorial park and river oaks would surprise you. Look in the photo section wehre I posted some photos a year ago. It's a cool trip.

I think this will link you...

http://www.houstonar...showtopic=15519

I was going to reference your photo essay, I have a friend that does the same thing, and I've been wanting to do it at least once, I can only imagine the unique perspective that is only hinted at by your photos!

Nice pics! I bike and run along the bayou all the time and have never seen an alligator (or is that a croc?), very cool!

(I was actually surprised to see a family of rabbits living near the bayou close to downtown)

It's a gator. I've seen a few down there, but that guy was the largest. Probably 6-7 feet, but they always look bigger when you are in the water with them. We just cruised right past him and he slid into the water as we went by. Kind of spooky. I haven't seen as many snakes as I'd expect down there, but lots of turtles and saw a coyote once. And before everyone says it was a dog, there was an article awhile back about TPWD trying to trap coyotes in the loop that were snagging poodles in River Oaks.

The architecture of the old viaducts downtown is cool -- lots of interesting structures that are visible from the water under the underpasses. Brick walls, arches, etc. There are some great beaches to stop and hang out at in the park too. They're off the trail and nobody is around. And, best as I can tell, it's legal to drink beer on the water as it's a navigable waterway. If more people knew what a few of us know, you'd see people using it like crazy. To be honest, I kind of like it as it is.

• Like 2

In my ten-plus years of living in Houston, I've seen about a two dozen gators, and roughly half of them have been in or along the banks of Buffalo Bayou. I have a co-worker who saw one crawling into White Oak Bayou just as you're past the I-10 heading into Woodland Heights. Doesn't seem like the concrete basin would be appealing to them but that's their story.

But back on topic: part of me agrees with Subdude in that I would like to see more of the original construction and design incorporated into the renovation but the new design isn't unattractive to me either. My bigger issue is with the pace of the bayou's restoration going east towards the Ship Channel. The bayou would be more of a draw if the city would make longer stretches of it approachable.

There are definitely coyotes that live along Buffalo Bayou near River Oaks/Memorial Park. I've seen them running across Memorial Drive late at night/early in the morning. Additionally, I am convinced that my mom's cat was eaten by one when she lived on the bayou. Lots of her neighbors had small pets disappear too.

• 4 weeks later...

Another Rendering

Web_RenderFromBayou.jpg

Link

From the comment beneath the article...

We are in the process of raising the funds to begin construction. So far, we have raised 73% of the monies needed, we are so close. If you are reading this, please consider giving any amount to help create and renovate this exceptional historic structure into a highly used meeting place and Green Building along our beloved Buffalo Bayou.

Give early and often.

• Like 2

I once tried to walk across the Sabine Bridge from downtown to visit my mom. The Buffalo Bayou Partnership was holding a gala on the bridge and wouldn't let me walk past on it. I had to walk all the way around to the footbridge by Wortham. I hope they raised a lot of money at the gala, because now I'm never giving them a dime!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

The century-old Sunset Coffee Building, looming in disrepair over Allen's Landing at the north end of downtown, will become Houston's "front door" with an $8 million public-private renovation set to begin in April.

The three-story brick structure is boarded up, marked with graffiti, and has shrubs growing out of some second-floor windows.

Come mid-2014, however, the facility will house kayak, canoe and bike rentals on the first floor, office space on the second floor, private event space on the third floor, a rooftop terrace, and will be flanked by outdoor plazas and walkways connecting to Commerce Street.

385x218.jpg

• 1 month later...

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/houston/houstons-oldest-buildings/

Here's Allen's Landing in 1929—the Sunset Coffee building is on the right. The first floor will have kayak and bike rentals and refreshments for users, the second floor will be offices (including BBP's office), and the third will have an event facility operated by Houston First. Sharon tells us outdoor spaces will be phenomenal, including a ground-level plaza connecting the building to the street and a rooftop deck with panoramic views. When the project breaks ground in April, it'll be the culmination of almost a decade of planning by BBP. Lake Flato is handling design, and BNIM and Fretz Construction are on the team.

Edited by DrLan34
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

Funny, we were just talking about this one this weekend when we went canoeing along the bayou to check out the progress from a water prospective.

We launched at Sabine St. and paddled out to Memorial Park and back. The new areas look great and people were already utilizing them. That said, the wild/overgrown parts were wonderful too. Totally felt like you were 100 miles from the nearest city. Saw tons of wildlife too. Can't wait to paddle again this weekend.

Also, I spotted the Double Decker tour bus making its way down Memorial Drive. 

• Like 2

Funny, we were just talking about this one this weekend when we went canoeing along the bayou to check out the progress from a water prospective.

We launched at Sabine St. and paddled out to Memorial Park and back. The new areas look great and people were already utilizing them. That said, the wild/overgrown parts were wonderful too. Totally felt like you were 100 miles from the nearest city. Saw tons of wildlife too. Can't wait to paddle again this weekend.

Also, I spotted the Double Decker tour bus making its way down Memorial Drive.

Was there anyone on it?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...