Sunset Coffee Building At 1019 Commerce St.

Lowbrow

I took my son down to Allen's Landing Saturday morning and it's really lovely down there. You get toe see the sides of old buildings, the undersides of the old bridges and the wide merging of the White Oak and Buffalo. We say a mama duck with a bunch of little ones sliding down the loading ramp into the water.

How did you get to Allen's Landing? My boy and I usually go to herman park to hang out. Do you know of any other cool places that are in the city core, like this that are nice walks.

Allen's landing faces Commerce Street, directly east of Main Street.  You can park right on the street and walk down to it.

Even better, you can take the light rail from Hermann Park and exit at the Preston Street Station. Walk north three blocks and you're there - just walk down the stairs east of the Main Street Bridge.

As an aside - I'm not sure how old this building is, but surely it's been majorly flooded several times. I'd want a structural engineer to give it a good once-over before investing anything.

• 4 weeks later...

Just found info on this building doing a search on Google and thought you should know that a group of folks with OutboundMusic.com have been finalizing plans to turn the old Sunset Coffee building into a cafe and live music venue.

Really cool building. Would be nice to see something like that done considering its history.

• 9 months later...

Anyone know what is going on in that old green building on/near Allen's Landing. I've tried to research the building for some time but never came up with anything. Now the concrete near San Jacinto and Commerce is marked up with neon paint going down into the bayou.

They had some goofy water thing with trees there a few years back. I hope that's not returning.

Cheers!

Fantastic.. they're finally doing something with this site.

I don't know about that. So far it still looks like wishful thinking. I was down there yesterday and the "for sale" sign is still up and look at the original thread it started about a year ago with no hard references. I think a 24hr coffee shop would be nice there with bookstore of course....the canoe rental could be based out from under the Main St. bridge

Edited by JGraspo

I don't know about that. So far it still looks like wishful thinking. I was down there yesterday and the "for sale" sign is still up and look at the original thread it started about a year ago with no hard references. I think a 24hr coffee shop would be nice there with bookstore of course....the canoe rental could be based out from under the Main St. bridge

I walk by about every day for lunch. There was a spray-painted sign a couple weeks ago saying "Construction starts 5/28/06". There were some people who parked down at the bayou for free. Now the gates are closed and today there was a bulldozer and a backhoe there parked at at the bottom of the bayou (almost under the bridge). Maybe it is unrelated utilities being run or something. But here's to hoping!

Cheers!

I walk by about every day for lunch. There was a spray-painted sign a couple weeks ago saying "Construction starts 5/28/06". There were some people who parked down at the bayou for free. Now the gates are closed and today there was a bulldozer and a backhoe there parked at at the bottom of the bayou (almost under the bridge). Maybe it is unrelated utilities being run or something. But here's to hoping!

Cheers!

I saw the backhoe I thought it was for the next phase of the bayou walk. I'll look at the pics and see if I see the sign, was it up front?

Looked at the pics. There is no sign anywhere on the building anymore. As for the backhole and bulldozer it does look like it has something to do with the "bayou walk phase II", concrete along the bank has been spray painted

P2020477.jpg

Edited by JGraspo

Either way, I'm glad that work is under way on that part of the Bayou--either in the form of the Sunset renovation or the continuance of the Bayou Restoration project. Landscaping near the Main Street Bridge, especially fronting the Spaghetti Warehouse building would be a sight for sore eyes.

And the idea of a Canoe shop as part of the Sunset Coffee Building retail makeup would be cool. However, I thought I'd heard rumblings about the desire by competing developers to turn it into a live music venue, which, IMO, would have more of an impact, even if it's a more risky venture.

However, I thought I'd heard rumblings about the desire by competing developers to turn it into a live music venue, which, IMO, would have more of an impact, even if it's a more risky venture.

Alright! The return of the Love Street Light Circus! :D

Two open threads on this building were merged.

A canoe shop would make sense, but isn't there severe flooding risk?

My understanding is that the canoe shop would be there in sort of a response to flooding concerns for other entities. And when I say canoe shop, I mean a place where people can rent canoes as well as buy other gear apparently, but the nature of the operation would make it adjustable to potential flooding risks.

Looked at the pics. There is no sign anywhere on the building anymore. As for the backhole and bulldozer it does look like it has something to do with the "bayou walk phase II", concrete along the bank has been spray painted

Yeah.. the signs were posted at the top of the ramp and one at the bottom of the ramp. They were spray-painted on wood boards in neon orange paint. Idunno if they are still there.. They might be discarded in the bushes.

Good deal if they're continuing the bayou walk. the only problem with going east of this bridge is they will have to build up some walkway as the buildings on the south bank to the east of this location drop straight into the bayou.

I'll keep my eyes open. :blink:

• 2 months later...

Walking by today.. They've been leveling off the drop to the bayou over the past weeks with some fill dirt to the angle of the "bridge." I suspect the "bridge" will be removed at some point. They were breaking up the cement divider down this drop today.

Still noone has any idea what they are doing with this area? Perhaps more PARKING?!

• 1 month later...

Walking by today, it looks like they're leveling the drop-off to the level of the landing behind the coffee house. This should give at least some access to the back for parking. Has someone leased this place? There has not been any activity in the building itself however. It's still boarded up and has holes in the walls.

• 4 months later...

They're pouring cement and putting up support for something next to this area now. Looks like re-building the ramp they tore down? Maybe they'll move some dirt around some more like they've been doing for the past 2 years..

I can't believe nobody knows what is going on in this spot. hrmgn..

back in november on the GHPA allen's landing tour, the talk was still about lake/flato and a ground floor shop/rental place (something flood tolerant). upstairs would be for the partnership's offices...haven't heard anything more recent than that

• 3 months later...

441631028_a66462f758.jpg

The head of PR/Development at Bufalo Bayou Partnership told me several weeks ago that they are moving ahead with the project. Level 1: Canoe rental. Level 2: Partnership offices (currently housed on Vine Street). Level 3 and Roof: Event space. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

The head of PR/Development at Bufalo Bayou Partnership told me several weeks ago that they are moving ahead with the project. Level 1: Canoe rental. Level 2: Partnership offices (currently housed on Vine Street). Level 3 and Roof: Event space. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

glad to hear things are moving ahead - thanks for the update

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone paddle around the bayou around that area? It always seems like there's quite a current where the bayous join.. Might be an interesting struggle to paddle up-stream to get to river oaks.. But I've never done it, so maybe it's not so bad.

Looking forward to seeing this place completed. I'd like to see an independent coffee shop there in some old-skool fashion.

Anyone paddle around the bayou around that area? It always seems like there's quite a current where the bayous join.. Might be an interesting struggle to paddle up-stream to get to river oaks.. But I've never done it, so maybe it's not so bad.

I took a Leisure Learning canoe trip down the bayou. We dropped in under the Shepherd pass and finished at Allen's Landing. I wouldn't want to try it upstream.