Sunset Coffee Building At 1019 Commerce St.

Lowbrow

Know a little something about concrete companies - the guys who are pouring this job would equal shoping for fresh produce at a gas station somewhere off Wallisville, Rd at about 1 in the morning.

Don't get me wrong - great project and I'm happy it's being done but wanted to let you know how much we are scraping the bottom of the barrell.

Know a little something about concrete companies - the guys who are pouring this job would equal shoping for fresh produce at a gas station somewhere off Wallisville, Rd at about 1 in the morning.

Don't get me wrong - great project and I'm happy it's being done but wanted to let you know how much we are scraping the bottom of the barrell.

Wut?

Otherwise known as: the concrete company with the lowest bid. Maybe you see this as a bad thing, but people take the lowest bid for most things on the project all the time unless it's something they are comfortable taking at a higher price on (which isn't a lot). I'm more of a best value guy because you might sacrifice quality (not always) if the lowest bid is taken instead of best value, but clients will more often than not choose the lowest bid. For concrete, unless they are going to do something special with it that needs the concrete to be super high end then taken the lowest bid you can get is completely acceptable. That's not scraping the bottom of the barrell, that's simply trying to keep your project around your budget. Now if you are talking about the actual labor doing the job? Maybe that is the case, but when taking the bid price you aren't exactly evaluating labor unless you need a specialized craft that is a major element to your project. In this case they aren't. Concrete mixers are concrete mixers and brick masons are brick masons, etc....

Edited by Luminare

Looking good. I really hope they do some pressure washing on that concrete.

Actually, I really worry about that wall. It appears to be leaning over and there is now a giant crack there at the corner. I checked older photos and I don't really see the crack there like I do not.... It's almost like their construction equipment was too much for the wall....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone know how much water this place took during the Labor Day flood?  

I was on the scene the next morning.  There was quite a bit of debris on the walkway railing on top of the foundation slab, which indicated to me that it took on several feet.

• 1 month later...

Yeah I knew about the history of the boats coming up the bayou, I just don't remember ever seeing a boat in downtown except for the occasional kayak.  I'd like to imagine that the canoe rental is similar to a log flume into the bayou, but that sadly won't be the case

a few weeks ago I saw what appeared to be a river tour, a big flat pontoon boat idling up the river with lots of passengers sitting on the deck.

I saw the boat once out by the police memorial, then again as they were approaching Preston street bridge. I know about the button that makes the bayou bubble and gave them an extra show since they were right there.

I can't wait for more boats in the bayou, as I enjoy pushing that button at every possible opportunity, it's just a bonus if someone else is there, especially if they don't know what's going on.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1