Allen's Landing Park

telwink

So this is a view from the 7th floor of my office buildnig. Noteworthy places in the shot are;

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb212/benny2oo0/outwindow.jpg

1. Love Street Light Circus and FeelGood Machine is the little green abandoned building towards the lower-left side of the shot (http://www.faculty.missouristate.edu/d/Den.../lovestreet.htm)

2. University of Houston Downtown, obviously, is the big building on the left

3. Baker St. Jail is the big building on the right-hand side of Buffalo Bayou

4. Buffalo Bayou itself

5. A train

edit: 6. The light-rail (thanks nativehou)

Oh yeah, and of course ... Allen's Landing (right around the Love Street Light Circus).

• Like 1

Wow, how cool is that? The light rail is in it also.

When they re-do that green building to add the restaurant and canoe rentals, it'll be even better.

What building are you in?

I'm actually in the Criminal Courthouse: 1Harris_CJC-cs.jpg

Sorry I don't have a better shot of that one, I'm too lazy to walk outside and down the street ;)

And yes, the Love Street Light Circus will be cool whey the re-dev Allen's Landing. I think the re-development is a wonderful idea, becuase this is a historically rich part of Houston that is relatively un-tapped. As far as the Love Street Light Circus building itself, I am actually keeping a really close eye on when they pull the ply-wood off the building, so I can run down there with my camera and see if I can't bribe my way into the building to get some interior shots before they tear it up.

In fact, interestingly, the back-side of the Love Street Light Circus building has an arched doorway that is coated in a flower theme tile mosaic. Sort of a nice window to the hippy-past that this building used to have.

Cool pic. You captured the confluence of Buffalo and White Oak very well.

They have a Quizno's over there now?! If I was still working over in that area, I would be a much larger person (Mesquite Chicken with Bacon becoming my lunch standard). :blush:

Edited by Porchman

• 4 months later...
Great picture!! Back in the late 60's I used to go to Love Street with my friends. There was a small bar underground where we would see live bands......can't remember the name. Anyone remember that??

Mary

That's pretty cool you actually got to visit Love Street. So was the bar directly underground, in sort of a basement of the Love Street building? Thanks for the info!

ben

So this is a view from the 7th floor of my office buildnig. Noteworthy places in the shot are;

outwindow.jpg

1. Love Street Light Circus and FeelGood Machine is the little green abandoned building towards the lower-left side of the shot (http://www.faculty.missouristate.edu/d/Den.../lovestreet.htm)

4. Buffalo Bayou itself

5. A train

Oh yeah, and of course ... Allen's Landing (right around the Love Street Light Circus).

The coolest thing in that picture is the TRAIN!!!! It was one of the first thing I noticed.

outwindow.jpg

4. Buffalo Bayou itself

5. A train

Not to pick nits, but isn't that the 701 N. San Jacinto Jail pictured, as opposed to Baker Street?

Cool pic, BTW.

Aah, a bit higher resolution and I'd have a new wallpaper.

If you're serious, PM me your screen resolution and email address and I'll send you one.

Not to pick nits, but isn't that the 701 N. San Jacinto Jail pictured, as opposed to Baker Street?

Cool pic, BTW.

Yes, you're right! Thanks for the correction! I should know that anyway :)

I'm actually in the Criminal Courthouse: 1Harris_CJC-cs.jpg

Sorry I don't have a better shot of that one, I'm too lazy to walk outside and down the street ;)

And yes, the Love Street Light Circus will be cool whey the re-dev Allen's Landing. I think the re-development is a wonderful idea, becuase this is a historically rich part of Houston that is relatively un-tapped. As far as the Love Street Light Circus building itself, I am actually keeping a really close eye on when they pull the ply-wood off the building, so I can run down there with my camera and see if I can't bribe my way into the building to get some interior shots before they tear it up.

In fact, interestingly, the back-side of the Love Street Light Circus building has an arched doorway that is coated in a flower theme tile mosaic. Sort of a nice window to the hippy-past that this building used to have.

What do they plan on doing there. I mean with the bums and the newly-released criminals and all...

• 2 years later...

outwindow.jpg

4. Buffalo Bayou itself

5. A train

Hi,

I asked and received permission to use one of your Love Street photos in my upcoming book Boys From Houston, based on the music of that era, but I can't find it so I would like to ask again. The book was 5 years in the making and it's finally finished.

Thanks,

Vicki

texasmusicwriter@gmail.com

Are there any old photos of the M&M Bldg....er UH-D floating around here somewhere?

I used to work downtown and could see this building from our office but the perspective was from the side and not the view as seen in this picture. It was completely different in the 60's and 70's.

Love this shot though.

Are there any old photos of the M&M Bldg....er UH-D floating around here somewhere?

I used to work downtown and could see this building from our office but the perspective was from the side and not the view as seen in this picture. It was completely different in the 60's and 70's.

Love this shot though.

Absolutely. It was a dreary, mustard yellow eyesore.

Amazing, how a paint job can reveal the architecture lurking beneath. Another example would be the former Houston Sign Company (1200 Westheimer - now Slick Willie's) which used to be camouflaged under an icky coating of black paint.

Lot's of memories in that picture. Love Street, that I used to frequent, and my old college, South Texas Junior College as it was called back then, in the old M&M building. Our only means of credited PE was playing ping-pong in the basement of the building. We would roll up the big loading doors when the weather was nice and watch the trains go by.  I was the South Texas ping-pong champ. Sadly that was the only "A" I ever got. 

• 3 years later...
  • The title was changed to View Of Allen's Landing From My Office Window
  • The title was changed to Allen's Landing Park
  • 3 weeks later...