Hotel Granduca Houston At 1080 Uptown Park Blvd.

Subdude

Apparently not.  The website says it "will have many features of a 5-star hotel", although for all we know they could be referring to towels and matresses. 

Doesn't that website come off as a bit over-the-top, with the "Palace of the Grand Duke" busines etc?  Somehow I picture it being narrated by someone like Ricardo Montalban. 

Seems like an idea that would work well.  There are already plenty of Residence Inns around, and this is basically just a luxury version.  Both the Plaza and Warwick hotels started with the same concept.

Bad idea. Hotel development is for Hoteliers. This is not a business in which you should dabble.

If you don't believe me, as the guys at ICON.

Bad idea.

• 1 month later...

I think this is under construction. Perhaps someone could get closer and actually check it out. I saw it while I was getting some construction pics of seven riverway (post in a few days). I may try and check the site again.

BTW what I saw appeared to already be around two stories. Is there something else in that area, behind uptown park between montebello and ville d'este/

*winces slightly*

The rendering looks like an italianate version of the Calais. This is better, but, I still shudder at the resemblance.

I think this is under construction.  Perhaps someone could get closer and actually check it out.  I saw it while I was getting some construction pics of seven riverway (post in a few days).  I may try and check the site again.

BTW what I saw appeared to already be around two stories.  Is there something else in that area, behind uptown park between montebello and ville d'este/

Yeah it already going up. Went by while at Uptown Park Friday.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Look at this one they built in Italy. I like it 100% better. Its more class and less..... less...... "Mexico Style."

overview2.jpg

Have you actually seen the real thing (the Houston one)? I will note that I have not seen it recently, but it seems odd that we are judging it based on renderings when I believe it is nearing completion.

Have you actually seen the real thing (the Houston one)? I will note that I have not seen it recently, but it seems odd that we are judging it based on renderings when I believe it is nearing completion.

I was thinking that to. That is a really bad rendering and the real one can't possibly look like its been colored.

I've seen it many times from the West Loop. It just isn't my style.

Neither is Citykid's Italian alternative, however. I live in Houston. I could care less about attempting to imitate architectural styles. All I want to see is some originality.

Edited by TheNiche

Look at this one they built in Italy. I like it 100% better. Its more class and less..... less...... "Mexico Style."

overview2.jpg

You're talking apples and oranges here. The "Granduca" (it's hard to write that without getting a bit ill) isn't meant to be a true luxury hotel or resort. It's just a hotel using fairly standard construction and design that is meant to serve visitors to the Galleria. Think of it as "luxury" marketing applied to a standard "suites" hotel, and you get the picture.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't like the building, it looks kind of ugly to me.

granduca_1.jpg

I was in Houston today and I went by the Hotel. It looks really nice and fits in with the uptown park area. For some reason some stuff in Houston looks better in person than in pictures.

I also thought about going into one of the condo buildings right by Uptown Park but did not know how to go about doing so. I wanted to see how the condos looked inside and everything else. I wonder do they have a model condo for viewing?

I think it was Montebello.

SCAN11.jpg

I also passed through Highland Village Also and notice that a lot of places have closed there. Do any of you know why?

• 1 year later...

so has anyone gone to visit this hotel?

it's ok. there is no kitchen in this hotel as it's kind of expected for you to order from nearby venues in uptown park, but they have a relationship with them so if u want to order something they can bring it for you, which i think is pretty cool B)

the units are spacious, and the closets are HUGE, lol. which would make sence since it is a hotel. however, i don't really like the millwork that is being used. fixtures are decent also. the 'kitchen' area has a sink and microwave, that's laid out nicely. if u get one of the inner rooms facing inward to the unit u can see the pool, which is pretty big! the millwork and columns are all faux. i wasn't all impressed, but it's not bad either :) maybe later on they'll do some sort of covered parking???????

I was in Houston today and I went by the Hotel. It looks really nice and fits in with the uptown park area. For some reason some stuff in Houston looks better in person than in pictures.

I also thought about going into one of the condo buildings right by Uptown Park but did not know how to go about doing so. I wanted to see how the condos looked inside and everything else. I wonder do they have a model condo for viewing?

SCAN11.jpg

I also passed through Highland Village Also and notice that a lot of places have closed there. Do any of you know why?

They are tearing down the building where The Gap used to be as well as where Harold Powell is (or used to be). Harold's will relocate elsewhere in the center before the buildings are torn down. Then there will be a new larger building, with underground parking. Could that explain what you saw?

Highland Village plans

lol, i don't even know if this person is still on this board, but for others that are interested. one can't just go into the montebello. u have to have clearance, security clearance that is.

montebello is very protective of their residence which is due to the price the residents pay there. just call the office up there tell them ur interested in looking and they will be able to work something out with you.

however, if u just want to go and look as in tour wise and not to buy, then more than likely they may just let u see the driveway and lobby, LOL.

i worked on several units in there so i know the entrance security and the guy at the desk so i would just wave hello at them and they would let me in w/o question, but once i took several ppl to see one of the units i was working on and we went in several cars, the other guys got there first and boy do the security give them a hassle search.gif they even started writing down her licence plate number, LOL

but for any of u with some cash montebello is VERY NICE!! i wish i could afford to live there frown.gif

lol, i don't even know if this person is still on this board, but for others that are interested. one can't just go into the montebello. u have to have clearance, security clearance that is.

montebello is very protective of their residence which is due to the price the residents pay there. just call the office up there tell them ur interested in looking and they will be able to work something out with you.

however, if u just want to go and look as in tour wise and not to buy, then more than likely they may just let u see the driveway and lobby, LOL.

i worked on several units in there so i know the entrance security and the guy at the desk so i would just wave hello at them and they would let me in w/o question, but once i took several ppl to see one of the units i was working on and we went in several cars, the other guys got there first and boy do the security give them a hassle search.gif they even started writing down her licence plate number, LOL

but for any of u with some cash montebello is VERY NICE!! i wish i could afford to live there frown.gif

I'm still here! I posted that over a year ago. And thats just about the last time I went to that area of Houston I think. Its time for me to get back down to H-town!

They are tearing down the building where The Gap used to be as well as where Harold Powell is (or used to be). Harold's will relocate elsewhere in the center before the buildings are torn down. Then there will be a new larger building, with underground parking. Could that explain what you saw?

Highland Village plans

i know whats happening at HV but limited on what i can disclose. MAJOR changes coming (relocations, expansions, vertical developments) within the next 12 months.

expect a 5 to 10-storey hotel with 2 or 3 levels of underground parking where the gap was.

that is all i can say for now.

:ph34r:

just to clarify, the hotel will be on top of 2 to 3 levels of retail. barbouti is actually negotiating with a fitness center to be one of the levels; which personally, i dont get.

however, barbouti has a vision of what he wants HV to eventually evolve into. hes got a ton of money and will develop it the way he wants (subject to lender approval of the carve outs).

to the mods, sorry for the derail.

Question: So do residents (and businesses) of Uptown (Park) consider themselves different or separate from 'the Galleria area'?

When we lived in Tanglewood, we would say Uptown/Galleria to people not familiar with Houston.. You say Uptown and they have no clue what you are talking about. You say Galleria, they think big, bad city. Blend them together and you might get a more possitive reaction.

When we lived in Tanglewood, we would say Uptown/Galleria to people not familiar with Houston.. You say Uptown and they have no clue what you are talking about. You say Galleria, they think big, bad city. Blend them together and you might get a more possitive reaction.

Galleria has a bad reputation? Wow.