Hotel Granduca Houston At 1080 Uptown Park Blvd.

Subdude

Groundwork laid for Galleria-area hotel

Interfin Cos. is seeking city approval to construct a 132-room hotel beside Uptown Park, the European-styled retail center at Post Oak and the West Loop.

City documents show plans for a hotel called the Granduca Hotel at 1080 Uptown Park Blvd., to be constructed between the Montebello and Villa d'Este high-rise condominiums, which were developed by Interfin.

Interfin President Giorgio Borlenghi says it is premature to discuss the possible development of a hotel. Interfin is considering a project on that site, but plans have not been finalized, he says.

"We're still in the exploratory stages," Borlenghi says. "We're not ready to start construction yet. We're not ready to move forward.

"We study projects all the time," he says. "Some of them we do; some of them we don't do."

Interfin is on track to complete a previously announced 21,000-square-foot retail addition to Uptown Park by June. Borlenghi is still not ready to release the names of the tenants in that development.

Link

• Like 1

Groundwork laid for Galleria-area hotel

Interfin Cos. is seeking city approval to construct a 132-room hotel beside Uptown Park, the European-styled retail center at Post Oak and the West Loop.

City documents show plans for a hotel called the Granduca Hotel at 1080 Uptown Park Blvd., to be constructed between the Montebello and Villa d'Este high-rise condominiums, which were developed by Interfin.

Interfin President Giorgio Borlenghi says it is premature to discuss the possible development of a hotel. Interfin is considering a project on that site, but plans have not been finalized, he says.

"We're still in the exploratory stages," Borlenghi says. "We're not ready to start construction yet. We're not ready to move forward.

"We study projects all the time," he says. "Some of them we do; some of them we don't do."

Interfin is on track to complete a previously announced 21,000-square-foot retail addition to Uptown Park by June. Borlenghi is still not ready to release the names of the tenants in that development.

Link

Does anyone know where that expansion of Uptown Park retail center is gonna happen? Is it across the street on Uptown Blvd? I remember there is an empty lot there.

There's nothing but solid real estate to work with around Uptown Park. I hope the developers do a good job of incorporating these new projects with the rest of the area. I realize that some people don't like the faux urbanity of Uptown Park but I like the project and think it's a step in the right direction from your typical strip mall thinking.

Baby steps.

:D

• 4 months later...

Giorgio Borlenghi, the real estate developer that created an upscale housing and shopping community just off the West Loop, is taking his chances on a new project for the city: a luxury extended-stay hotel.

The new hotel, called Granduca, is being built on the grounds of Uptown Park where Borlenghi has developed two condominium towers and an outdoor retail center that he sold last week for $69 million.

Read article here... http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/business/3215954

June 8, 2005, 6:15AM

INNOVATION

Developer gambles on residential hotel

Granduca designed for high-end guests on extended visits

By NANCY SARNOFF

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Giorgio Borlenghi, the real estate developer that created an upscale housing and shopping community just off the West Loop, is taking his chances on a new project for the city: a luxury extended-stay hotel.

map

The new hotel, called Granduca, is being built on the grounds of Uptown Park where Borlenghi has developed two condominium towers and an outdoor retail center that he sold last week for $69 million.

With six stories and 132 rooms, the hotel will be small compared to other properties in the area. And there won't be a restaurant or any huge ballrooms there. Borlenghi said that's to give the guests more privacy.

Italian-born Borlenghi, head of Houston-based Interfin Cos., said the model for Granduca is based on a common European concept called a "residential hotel" where guests typically stay a week or longer.

Chron Article

Wow. I check out the link, and the video that's on there. Seems like this going to be a great addition to uptown galleria. And the music on the website is grand, soft melody music. It reminds me of a romantic scene in a movie.

I can't wait until this grand palace to open it's doors in Autumn of 2006.

memorial park does go past I-610 to the west for a little bit. It's not really used for recreation activity, it just can't be developed as part of the agreement with the city and the original owner of the parkland.

The hotel looks great. Uptown Park is really coming into its own.

Will this be a 5 star hotel?

Apparently not. The website says it "will have many features of a 5-star hotel", although for all we know they could be referring to towels and matresses.

Doesn't that website come off as a bit over-the-top, with the "Palace of the Grand Duke" busines etc? Somehow I picture it being narrated by someone like Ricardo Montalban.

What does everybody think about the residential hotel concept? Do you think it will work here?

Seems like an idea that would work well. There are already plenty of Residence Inns around, and this is basically just a luxury version. Both the Plaza and Warwick hotels started with the same concept.