Could someone answer this question for me re: Dallas vs Houston?

Simbha

No, this isn't a bash Dallas or Houston thread.

I was on skyscraperpage.com looking at some drawings and for the first time I realized you could see diagrams including visionary and fantasy projects, etc. So I threw in a few city names (Houston first, of course) and when I arrived at Dallas I noticed that it didn't have any really tall visionary or fantasy designs. I also noticed this in other cities such as San Francisco and Boston but I sorta understand those cities' culture a bit more. Even so, Dallas struck me as the kind of place that would have something like this - I perceive it to be comparable to Houston in this regard. Why is this? Is it simply a lack of data on that website or is it true that fantasy proposals do not really germinate in or for Dallas?

BTW, I didn't know where to post this so I figured here was best.

There is a lot of knowledge tied to 'place' which is held in common without ever making it online, much less onto data-sharing websites.

At the banking/real-estate heights of the 1980s, a cylindrical tower of as many as 100 stories(!) was going to be built downtown in Dallas (Field + Woodall Rogers). In Dallas and Houston it appears to me that it was mostly the local bank holding companies proposing these kinds of things, and that the likelihood of anyone wanting that kind of space dropped way down once the in-state banks were bought up. However, in general, I believe that Houston's business environment is more amenable to the idea of these sorts of megabuildings in a pretty simple way. Dallas corporations are generally much less energy-based and more high-tech- and telecom-based, and those businesses prefer campus layouts whereas oil companies are by and large fine with highrise space.

Despite the robust (whether ultimately healthy or not) state of Texan urban growth this decade, I think the only real chance for any future ridiculous towers (whether ultimately healthy or not) will be the emergence of a healthy state or regional banking company in Texas and the South-Central states. Comerica has just moved to Dallas but as far as I can tell probably won't be the source and kernel of regional banking consolidation.

Despite the robust (whether ultimately healthy or not) state of Texan urban growth this decade, I think the only real chance for any future ridiculous towers (whether ultimately healthy or not) will be the emergence of a healthy state or regional banking company in Texas and the South-Central states. Comerica has just moved to Dallas but as far as I can tell probably won't be the source and kernel of regional banking consolidation.

When I studied Real Estate at UH about 30 years ago, we were told that 90% of all commercial financing was a result of loans from eastern banks, mostly NYC and Boston. That really surprised me and made me realize that wealth is a relative term. I always considered Texas to be a wealthy State because of the really rich oil people, cattle people, etc. Hopefully, banking has changed since then.

Archived