The Titan On Post Oak Blvd.

arcutech

I think you're mistaken.

The family that owns the Willie G's site next door on Post Oak, along with the AT&T store on San Felipe (next door to Brucette's shoes) has put both parcels on the block. Based on the price they're getting, the buyer will have to go vertical.

I've never heard anything regarding McDonald's selling, but do not profess to have knowledge of every sale in town.

"The Titan?"

Pretty ambitious name, I think. It should be quite interesting to see some further details on this. The only real tragedy is that the McD's is going to be relocated:

"Developer Randall Davis is under contract to buy 25,000 square feet of land from McDonalds for the upscale project. He said the restaurant at the site won't close but will be relocated to the north side of the property if his plan goes forward."

What are they going to do? build a *3* storey McD's?

I stand corrected.

I'm surprised that the owner of the parcel wouldn't have taken the tract to the market considering the prices buyers have been paying. But perhaps Randy Davis is the only one who could've agreed to accomodate McDonalds.

Wonder if the penthouse unit owners will be able to order Chicken Nuggets via room service.

Yeah, the name's a bit silly, but it beats the typical pretentious developer names: Regency Square, Richmond Landing, the Oaks at Wherever, the Olde Centre at Grande Parkway, etc etc etc. That said, it's hardly a world-beater design-wise.

This is not directed to you subdude, but everyone is always unhappy with the names of these developments.

I think those that always complain about the names should come up with at least three of four names themselves, if not for any other reason to show what they believe IS a good name.

This is not directed to you subdude, but everyone is always unhappy with the names of these developments.

I think those that always complain about the names should come up with at least three of four names themselves, if not for any other reason to show what they believe IS a good name.

How about "1405 Post Oak"? :)

Naming, just like architecture, is a subjective thing. We realize that not every name or design will appeal to everyone. I do love to watch the debate because it mirrors in many ways those that we have internally....

I wish that arcutech would send me a private note to let me know who leaked the story before Nancy :lol:

Welcome to the board.

Is there a public rendering yet? I hope it's another glass/steel tower like the Cosmopolitan. Those fit the Uptown are much more than the Manhattan and Empire IMO.

Naming, just like architecture, is a subjective thing. We realize that not every name or design will appeal to everyone. I do love to watch the debate because it mirrors in many ways those that we have internally....

I wish that arcutech would send me a private note to let me know who leaked the story before Nancy :lol:

I think Nancy gets most of her info from HAIF anyway.... ;)

I like the name as it is pseudo-pompous, which sort of lightens the increasingly thick pompousity of that area. Maybe you can put one of those inflatable gorillas on the roof once it's topped out to really get some attention. :P

RD Co, I would be interested in knowing the way in which you are planning on integrating McD's with your development. Can you share with us?

The doorman will probably seat residents at a reserved table and serve up McNuggets with a garnish. Landscaping always adds to the price of a dish.

Luxury Residential Tower with a McDonald's at the front of the property!!!!!!!

I was perusing the latest issue of Travel & Leisure last night and saw an ad for the Museum Tower in Dallas. This development, combined with the recently completed Robert Stern-designed Ritz Carlton condo development (2 towers), the recent W condos and under-development Mandarin Oriental Residences (both at Victory Park) all in Dallas have me wondering:

are Houston developers not able to secure the level of financing required to bring world class residential towers to market?

Hillwood is spending $3 billion on Victory Park in Dallas yet Ed Wulfe has still not been able to secure a commitment (at least a signed commitment) from Ritz Carlton to develop the tower at BLVD. Place. The total value of BLVD. Place is listed as $500 million- six times less than the Victory Park development.

I am not a fan of Dallas (too white, too small townish, too insecure- thus, the rehearsed snobbery), however when I look at what is happening in Chicago, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Miami (and yes, I know they have overbuilt) I am left with the feeling that Houston is getting second-tier projects where local developers (with the exception of Hines) lack the foresight or capital to execute first class projects that appeal to the type of out of town investors that insure solid financial returns.

Will every project be predicated on bringing in fast food operators as partners (in exchange for land)?

Bring on projects from the Related Co., Yoo by Starck etc...

San Antonio is still tops in Texas when it comes to tourism.

Dallas' tourism numbers are traditionally commiserate with Houston with the exception possibly being when they include Arlington (Six Flags Over Texas) in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metro data. That being said, the Houston metro area includes Galveston which has been experiencing record growth.

Houston and Dallas are corporate travel destinations tied to the fortunes of the energy and finance industries, respectively.

Although both make claims of being first tier convention cities, the facts show that Chicago, Orlando and Las Vegas are far ahead. I do believe that Houston will have the edge over Dallas in the next 10 years as Discovery Green and Houston Pavilions have a Chicago-esque feel about themselves. From a tourism perspective, the Houston metro area numbers will greatly benefit from the booming local cruise industry.

High Rise potential:

Houston's international population is significantly larger than Dallas' international population. International buyers often prefer the security afforded by highrise living- especially when it comes to second homes.

Turnburry, the proposed Ritz Carlton Residences, and 2727 Kirby will all have greater impact in the national real estate community than either The Cosmopolitan or The Titan. Randall Davis' most impactful development will prove to be Sonoma. (for a number of reasons to be discussed later.)

The facts speak for themselves. Houston deserves the attention of the major residential development companies working on innovative projects in other markets. (Atlantic Station in Atlanta, City Centre in Las Vegas, Victory Park in Dallas).

My gut tells me that Houston is still plagued by the negative history of the energy "bust" of the early 80's.

Hines is the only local firm that has the potential to simultaneuously change the course of local development while garnering the attention of other more interesting property developers.

If they throw their hat into the game, then all bets are off. (Financing the Manhattan and the Empire don't count.)

Let's just hope they don't need to go into partnership with a Quiznos or a Whataburger franchisee in order to make the numbers work.

Yeah, the name's a bit silly, but it beats the typical pretentious developer names: Regency Square, Richmond Landing, the Oaks at Wherever, the Olde Centre at Grande Parkway, etc etc etc.

and "THE TITAN" is -not- pretentious??? :lol:

Regardless, I like the name, fitting for the target market. Although it will always remind me of the infamous Houston draft blunder :o (VY)

Luxury Residential Tower with a McDonald's at the front of the property!!!!!!!

I am not a fan of Dallas (too white, too small townish, too insecure- thus, the rehearsed snobbery), however when I look at what is happening in Chicago, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Miami (and yes, I know they have overbuilt) I am left with the feeling that Houston is getting second-tier projects where local developers (with the exception of Hines) lack the foresight or capital to execute first class projects that appeal to the type of out of town investors that insure solid financial returns.

I agree with your first point, talk about irony!

However, building, or even maketing for that matter, anything in Houston to out of towners is a bit absurd in my eyes. We have never been, and frankly never will be that kind of city. . . Not that theres anything wrong with that

Would you rather just go w/ the address every time on these developments? I like it.

I would be all for that. I refer to individual buildings by their addresses half the time as opposed to their proper names.

It would definately make things easier for people that are from out of town to just say, "Take me to <insert building here>" as opposed to "Take me to St. Lukes Tower", which is now named something else.

and "THE TITAN" is -not- pretentious??? :lol:

Regardless, I like the name, fitting for the target market. Although it will always remind me of the infamous Houston draft blunder :o (VY)

Well not pretentious in the sense of trying to sound "upscale". I don't really have a problem with the name.

Hines is the only local firm that has the potential to simultaneuously change the course of local development while garnering the attention of other more interesting property developers.

Yes, they've certainty produced some memorable parking garages of late.