Draftsman

I think it is more of a sense of security. There are considerations that one should know when designing a home more than just "wow, this room would go nice here". Extremely experienced and very talented building designers run in to the same problem because they are not licensed architects.

If you want to get in to the business, your best bet is to do up some "stock" designs to show you know what you are talking about so that when it comes down to it, you can show a prospective client that you aren't completely clueless.

Why would someone not hire a draftsman if he had years experience in designing residential homes? I had a client who said they could not hire me because a was not a licensed architect.

Are any of you guys draftsman?

I do not think that there are very many draftsmen,much less architects on this forum. There is no excuse for your client saying that if you are capable at your job

• 2 weeks later...
Why would someone not hire a draftsman if he had years experience in designing residential homes? I had a client who said they could not hire me because a was not a licensed architect.

Are any of you guys draftsman?

Speaking as a designer who has worked in the greater Houston area for 12 years one of the first things you need to do join a group like A.I.B.D. and work through them to get your profesional certifacation. Some subdivisions like the Woodlands require you to have prof. seal to design there. This will improve your chances of more work as a desiner.

• 3 weeks later...

i was a draftsman for several years (finally quit this year) and i never had an issue with needing to be an architect. as long as the people you are working for either are a licensed architect or structural engineer (or have either sign off on dwgs), there is no need for you to be licensed.

Would you go to a nurse for health advice or go to a doctor? Same thing with Architects. You just can't substitute the training they get. Just my opinion. But you guys already know that I hate the blight of Mcmansions that have not been designed by architects.

Archived