Houston - A Tale of Two Markets

Boris

Bayou City Farmer's Market - Located off of Richmand between Buffalo Speedway and Kirby.

It's orderly, clean, and organic:

Houston-Markets9-07001.jpg

Houston-Markets9-07002.jpg

Houston-Markets9-07003.jpg

Houston-Markets9-07004.jpg

Houston-Markets9-07005.jpg

Houston-Markets9-07006.jpg

Bought some of the cookies in the round container in the middle, they were delicious:

Houston-Markets9-07007.jpg

Houston-Markets9-07008.jpg

Houston-Markets9-07009.jpg

Houston-Markets9-07010.jpg

Houston-Markets9-07011.jpg

Houston-Markets9-07012.jpg

Houston-Markets9-07013.jpg

The Canino Produce Farmer's Market - Located on Airline Blvd, near the intersection of I-45 & N. 610 Loop.

It was chaotic, noisy, colorful and felt just like being in a market south of the border:

Houston-Markets9-07014.jpg

Houston-Markets9-07015.jpg

Houston-Markets9-07016.jpg

Houston-Markets9-07017.jpg

Houston-Markets9-07048.jpg

Houston-Markets9-07018.jpg

Houston-Markets9-07019.jpg

The orderly market looks like the kind I go to -- a place where people shop once a week looking for healthy food, to support local farmers, and to give the Earth a hug.

The second market looks like the sort of place where people shop for everyday food, looking for bargains, and things they can't get elsewhere. It also seems to have a lot more than the first one.

Both serve a purpose. I wish there were more of both.

The Canino Produce Farmer's Market - Located on Airline Blvd, near the intersection of I-45 & N. 610 Loop.

It was chaotic, noisy, colorful and felt just like being in a market south of the border:

I been to that one a lot you can just about buy anything there.

You summarized them perfectly Editor.

We got to the Bayou City Farmers' Market just before they were closing so we didn't get to see all they had.

The Canino Market was wild, this was our first time there and we were impressed by all the produce available. You can get anything you want there.

But, yeah, there needs to be more of these types of markets, esp. the organic market. You see a lot of this type of stuff in California.

• 3 weeks later...

A few suggestions about Canino's. Don't buy all of your stuff from the front until you seen the stalls in the back. The quality, selection and prices are much better. Spend 5.00 or more in the front so you can get a grocery cart. And don't forget to check out the other buildings. Lots more in the way of spices and bulk items. And don't make a trip there w/o checking out the bakery across the parking lot.

I don't care for the organic market. A bit anemic, a kind of fashion statement. The second one is the real deal.

I agree with you completely. The organic market looked to sterile. The other one had alot of very healthy food,and looked like alot more fun to me.

Give me the Canino market anytime!! Big bags of ancho peppers. I could have used that this weekend when I made Pozole. I'll definately go there in the near future. I didn't even know it existed. Thanks for the eye opener.

Canino is the best! It's definitely not as trendy, and it's far more diverse than Bayou City Market, but it is the "real deal" and you just can't beat it. That said, there is definitely room for both types in our city and I'd love to see more options for fresh produce. And nice photos by the way.

Give me the Canino market anytime!! Big bags of ancho peppers. I could have used that this weekend when I made Pozole. I'll definately go there in the near future. I didn't even know it existed. Thanks for the eye opener.

I'll get you some! Provided you save me a bowl :)

I'll get you some! Provided you save me a bowl :)

Its all history now foxmulder. Maybe next time. It was the best batch I've ever made. Some long time pozole eaters told me it was the best they had ever had. I'll be going to the Canino market this weekend. Thats some beautiful produce!

Archived