Section Of Beltway 8 In Pasadena

sootycat

Does anyone know when construction of the section of Beltway 8 that runs between Red Bluff and 225, northbound, in Pasadena was started? I know that in 1966 or so, there was a road (travelling north) where the access road to the Beltway now sits. I was only a child then, so I didn't know the name of the road. I left Pasadena for a while, when I returned the Beltway was only partially completed. This was about 1975 - 76.

In my research for the Houston Freeways book I found very little information on the history of that section. I was able to establish that the frontage roads from SH 225 to Fairmont Parkway were built by Harris County and completed in 1971.

For your specific question of when construction started, I don't know. Your question suggests that a northbound frontage road existed in 1966, which would be a little surprising but certainly possible. It is also possible that the frontage roads were built as numerous projects over a period of several years, so the project was in various states of completion during those years.

For the full history of Beltway 8, you can download the book chapter here

http://houstonfreeways.com/ebook.aspx

A little bit more information:

Harris County launched improvements to Beltway 8 southeast, Fairmont Parkway, and Red Bluff Road after voter approval of a bond issue in 1966. These routes were all envisioned as future freeways, and the projected need for the freeways was mainly due to the placement of the NASA facility. Harris County bought the right-of-way and built the frontage roads, but that was all Harris County was able to do during that period. By the early 1970s Harris county came to the conclusion that it could not afford to build freeways, and then got out of the frontage road and freeway-building business. Of course, Harris County then turned to toll roads, and the Beltway 8 main toll lanes were opened in 1996. Both Fairmont Parkway and Red Bluff road may ultimately get tolled main lanes.

Thank you very much for the information, it's very interesting. I see what you mean about the road I recall from 1966, possibly not being a frontage road, since the frontage roads in Pasadena were not constructed till 1971. After I posted my question, I began to wonder if the road I remember, was on the same loacation as the frontage road or not. I'm not sure. One thing that puzzles me is this, in 1975 or so, there was a section of an abandoned road that ran parallel to the frontage road, just yards from it. It seemed to run partially in front of a field of horses, and on to Red Bluff or very close to it. I'm beginning to wonder if that was the remainder of the road I remember from 1966.

In my research for the Houston Freeways book I found very little information on the history of that section. I was able to establish that the frontage roads from SH 225 to Fairmont Parkway were built by Harris County and completed in 1971.

For your specific question of when construction started, I don't know. Your question suggests that a northbound frontage road existed in 1966, which would be a little surprising but certainly possible. It is also possible that the frontage roads were built as numerous projects over a period of several years, so the project was in various states of completion during those years.

For the full history of Beltway 8, you can download the book chapter here

http://houstonfreeways.com/ebook.aspx

A little bit more information:

Harris County launched improvements to Beltway 8 southeast, Fairmont Parkway, and Red Bluff Road after voter approval of a bond issue in 1966. These routes were all envisioned as future freeways, and the projected need for the freeways was mainly due to the placement of the NASA facility. Harris County bought the right-of-way and built the frontage roads, but that was all Harris County was able to do during that period. By the early 1970s Harris county came to the conclusion that it could not afford to build freeways, and then got out of the frontage road and freeway-building business. Of course, Harris County then turned to toll roads, and the Beltway 8 main toll lanes were opened in 1996. Both Fairmont Parkway and Red Bluff road may ultimately get tolled main lanes.

I asked my Dad what he remembered about the area then and this is what he said:

"In the 70s, the road traveling north and south along what later became the east Beltway access road, had an overpass constructed over Red Bluff Road and one over Pasadena Blvd. I can't recall what the road was referred to before the Beltway name was attached to it. Seems the it had a name that was from the street that it took the place of in the Golden Acres rural residental area. Anyway, Pasadena residents were told that these overpasses would never require a toll. It was not until later in the 70s or early 80s that the second side access road overpasses were constructed, but still no formal construction on what is now the Beltway."

Hope this helps

;)

I asked my Dad what he remembered about the area then and this is what he said:

"In the 70s, the road traveling north and south along what later became the east Beltway access road, had an overpass constructed over Red Bluff Road and one over Pasadena Blvd. I can't recall what the road was referred to before the Beltway name was attached to it. Seems the it had a name that was from the street that it took the place of in the Golden Acres rural residental area. Anyway, Pasadena residents were told that these overpasses would never require a toll. It was not until later in the 70s or early 80s that the second side access road overpasses were constructed, but still no formal construction on what is now the Beltway."

Hope this helps

;)

Now it makes me wonder about the street in Golden Acres that it took the place of. I guess I'll just have to go to the Pasadena Public Library and look at old maps. I'm just curious about what Pasadena looked like beyond the areas that were already developed in the 1960's.

Now it makes me wonder about the street in Golden Acres that it took the place of. I guess I'll just have to go to the Pasadena Public Library and look at old maps. I'm just curious about what Pasadena looked like beyond the areas that were already developed in the 1960's.

My grandfather bought a place in the 40s off Pine St (Spencer Gardens). If he was still alive I could ask him how it looked. He had quite a memory :) . My family had the place until about 2 years ago, so needless to say we all grew up out there.

My aunt may remember, so I will ask her. She graduated in 1963 from South Houston.

I do think there were houses they had to buy out to make the beltway and it was not two seperate subdivisions until after

they built the beltway. At the intersection of BW8 and Pine, if you are facing south on the beltway,

Golden Acres proper is on the right and Spencer Gardens is on the left...but the oldtimers still refer to it as Golden Acres no matter what side of BW8 you are on...include me in on that list.

Yeah, I would be curious to know what street ran through there myself. Very interesting topic.

I have an email into my aunt, we will see what she says!

• 12 years later...

We would cut across the road where the over pass was for Red Bluff back in mid and later 60's to go Red Bluff Hospital (covered in detail on this site).

In the 670's at the Post office off Almeda Genoa - they had big map on wall with future planning for the south belt region.

With dotted lines it showed the proposed beltway system.

We use to go to Louisiana (parents families were there) and had to hit 10 either by going downtown via Navigation or take the Tunnel in Pasadena, late take 610 at Gulfgate

When we would go to the doctors and cross the feeder road my mother use to tell us, one day there will be a freeway here and we will go to Louisiana this way.

That was in 65 or 66.

When I graduated in 71 that was the way I would go to San Jac Jr.

1 minute ago, guy chachere said:

We would cut across the road where the over pass was for Red Bluff back in mid and later 60's to go Red Bluff Hospital (covered in detail on this site).

In the 670's at the Post office off Almeda Genoa - they had big map on wall with future planning for the south belt region.

With dotted lines it showed the proposed beltway system.

We use to go to Louisiana (parents families were there) and had to hit 10 either by going downtown via Navigation or take the Tunnel in Pasadena, late take 610 at Gulfgate

When we would go to the doctors and cross the feeder road my mother use to tell us, one day there will be a freeway here and we will go to Louisiana this way.

That was in 65 or 66.

When I graduated in 71 that was the way I would go to San Jac Jr.

• The title was changed to Section Of Beltway 8 In Pasadena

Archived