Apple the new...Microsoft!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136949-c...ws/article.html

sorry to burst everyone's "I want an ipod" bubble:)

Not exactly news, this. People have been saying that for the last five years. It's become a sarcastic cliche like "This is the year for Linux on the desktop."

Also, PC World isn't exactly the Wall Street Journal. It has a long history of being very pro-Microsoft, and understandably so. MS butters its bread. Without Microsoft there would be no PC World. You don't see the article "10 Reasons Versace Sucks" in Vogue magazine. It's the same thing.

It's not like the old days when PC World would provide extensive coverage of all sorts of computing. It's been a Microsoft mouthpiece for a long time.

The comments on this article are more interesting than the article itself.

http://forums.pcworld.com/message/60146#60146

The author complains that if you buy music on iTunes you can only listen to it on itunes - not true. Burn a CD with your iTunes songs, then rip them onto a PC or even the same mac. End result, DRM-free music!

And with certain songs, you don't even have to do all that.

If you buy one of the DRM-free iTunes songs, you can just copy it to any device that plays AAC songs, which is pretty much anything made after 2003, like a PSP or LG, Nokia, or SonyEricsson cell phones. I've heard that SanDisk MP3 players also do AAC.

In my opinion, that's the best way to go. You don't want to end up like all those millions of Microsoft Windows users who bought "PlaysForSure" devices and music only to be cut off when the Zune came out. Or the Google Video people who lost all of the TV shows they thought they "bought" (turns out they were "rentals") when Google bailed.

And with certain songs, you don't even have to do all that.

If you buy one of the DRM-free iTunes songs, you can just copy it to any device that plays AAC songs, which is pretty much anything made after 2003, like a PSP or LG, Nokia, or SonyEricsson cell phones. I've heard that SanDisk MP3 players also do AAC.

In my opinion, that's the best way to go. You don't want to end up like all those millions of Microsoft Windows users who bought "PlaysForSure" devices and music only to be cut off when the Zune came out. Or the Google Video people who lost all of the TV shows they thought they "bought" (turns out they were "rentals") when Google bailed.

I have a Zune only cause i got it for free, Works fine, software is a little slow and music is hard to organzie. I've removed DRM on my music so it's a 2 min procedure. In another story a man comes "I need a laptop TODAY! without vista! It's garbage!" I said "Sir, i've had vista 1 day before the GP had it's hands on it, It works FINE." He thought i was being a smart ass and continues to ask dumb questions, like "Can i buy the upgrade for XP and go from vista to XP.." "Nope, that's not an "Upgrade" you need the full version and you need to wipe the drive. If you do that don't bug the manufactor for drivers they won't help you!" He stormed out. I've had 3 BSOD on vista...Faulty memory was the reason. Hell anyone remember SIM tower? It still runs on my computer. :)

In other words, gwilson...

The guy had no reason to ask for a laptop with xp (unless he wants to run old software that may not work in Vista).

In a few years when Microsoft comes out with Windows Xplosions (Just a random name) OS everyone will love Vista and hate the new one... Never ending cycle.

It is the fault of MS's quick to market and fix later mentality though. People have come to expect the MS OSes to finally be worth a smack when they are just about to be replaced.

That said, I have no real issues with Vista. It runs just fine on my laptop.

I still prefer OSX though.

He stormed out. I've had 3 BSOD on vista...Faulty memory was the reason.

I've heard that before. I really don't understand the mechanics of it, but Vista is very picky about its memory.

The reason this is of interest to me is that Macs have always been very picky about the quality of the RAM you use. It's one of the reasons Mac RAM used to cost more than the generic cheap-o RAM you'd get from some guy on the street. This expense was one of the excuses people made for going Windows instead of Mac.

Now the Windows boxes are picky about RAM, too, and I really don't understand it. My programming background is mostly limited to C and 6502 assembler, but it seems strange that you can write a program (even if it's an operating system) that works better on some RAM than others. I guess I'm just old.

I have a Zune only cause i got it for free, Works fine, software is a little slow and music is hard to organzie. I've removed DRM on my music so it's a 2 min procedure. In another story a man comes "I need a laptop TODAY! without vista! It's garbage!" I said "Sir, i've had vista 1 day before the GP had it's hands on it, It works FINE." He thought i was being a smart ass and continues to ask dumb questions, like "Can i buy the upgrade for XP and go from vista to XP.." "Nope, that's not an "Upgrade" you need the full version and you need to wipe the drive. If you do that don't bug the manufactor for drivers they won't help you!" He stormed out. I've had 3 BSOD on vista...Faulty memory was the reason. Hell anyone remember SIM tower? It still runs on my computer. :)

I think I read on Slashdot that Dell started offering XP as an option on its computers again because of consumer demand.

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft has already put a stop to this.

I've heard that before. I really don't understand the mechanics of it, but Vista is very picky about its memory.

The reason this is of interest to me is that Macs have always been very picky about the quality of the RAM you use. It's one of the reasons Mac RAM used to cost more than the generic cheap-o RAM you'd get from some guy on the street. This expense was one of the excuses people made for going Windows instead of Mac.

Now the Windows boxes are picky about RAM, too, and I really don't understand it. My programming background is mostly limited to C and 6502 assembler, but it seems strange that you can write a program (even if it's an operating system) that works better on some RAM than others. I guess I'm just old.

Think of it like two containers. One is well sealed and insulated and keeps the liquid inside where it belongs and at the proper temperature. The other isn't as well sealed or insulated, so the liquid inside might seam out or be at the wrong temp.

It is a consistent stability issue really.

I take issue with the article. As Editor stated, it's clearly biased. In Microsoft's defense however, I always thought the Anti-Trust lawsuits brought on by the government were bogus to begin with. Just as its Apple's perogative to package iTunes with iPods, it was Microsoft's to package IE with Windows.

Apple might hold a (seeming) monopoly on the portable digital player market, but it still can't hold a candle up to Microsoft's domination of the computer OS world.

Archived