Sheraton-Lincoln Hotel At 711 Polk St.

Disastro

Which Sheraton Houston are you talking about? There are three:

* Sheraton Houston Brookhollow - 3000 North Loop West Freeway, Houston, TX, 77092

* Sheraton Suites Houston near the Galleria - 2400 West Loop South, Houston, TX, 77027-4204

* Sheraton North Houston at George Bush Intercontinental - 15700 John F. Kennedy Boulevard, Houston, TX, 77032

Hmm, I just assumed he meant the original Sheraton-Lincoln downtown, since it had the asbestos issues at one point.

Downtown Sheraton big topic

Yeah, I guess I should have been more specific on that...

The ugly downtown one...the black and white stripped monstrosity...lol!

The thing is literally falling apart. I have to think it could pose a danger unless they do *something* with it soon...

• 2 weeks later...
This is the old Sheraton-Lincoln, right?

(http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...?showtopic=4417)

if so, thank goodness! finally! (i hope it really happens!)

I'm hoping it's that one too. I pass this eyesore everyday on my way to work. Nice pool view. Does anybody know if the Wedge Group ever plans to add a garage to the half-block across the street. I've always wondered how they compete without any parking options.

I'm hoping it's that one too. I pass this eyesore everyday on my way to work. Nice pool view. Does anybody know if the Wedge Group ever plans to add a garage to the half-block across the street. I've always wondered how they compete without any parking options.

They're contemplating a second tower. :ph34r:

Wedge has been contemplating a second tower for about 7 years now. 1401 Louisiana would be the address. Very initial renderings can even be found on the web for it...

If you want to be technical about it, they've been contemplating Tower Two since Wedge Tower was completed, back in the 80's, but the extent and seriousness of their contemplation has varied over time.

• 2 weeks later...

I recieved this weekly email from the Houston Downtown Management District:

The wow power of the soon-to-be completed Houston Pavillions project, scheduled for a fall 2008 opening, continues to draw additional development to the area.

The latest exciting announcement is the redevelopment of the former downtown Sheraton at 711 Polk by Omni Hotels and Songy Partners. The transformed property will be just a few steps from the Pavilions, which is taking shape as a retail and entertainment hub with future tenants such as House of Blues, Lucky Strike Lanes, Forever 21, McCormick & Schmick's and Yao's Restaurant and Bar.

The Omni project will feature more than 400 luxury suites, 30,000 square feet of meeting space and a variety of restaurants. A complete wellness center on the fourth floor will be accessible through a separate, private ground floor entrance for neighboring Houstonians and nearby office workers.

The 13,000-square-foot wellness center will offer a state-of-the art fitness facility with a Mokara Salon & Spa, personal trainers and nutritionists who will be available to create customized wellness and fitness regimens.

Redevelopment of the structure is scheduled to begin later this year, and the property will open for guests in 2009.

• 1 month later...

Long-vacant downtown hotel to be renovated

DAVID KAPLAN

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

A downtown building that's been vacant since 1988 will get a $100 million face lift and be turned into an Omni luxury hotel.

The 28-story Sheraton-Lincoln Plaza tower at 711 Polk and Louisiana was acquired for $15 million.by Songy Partnersin a joint venture with Omni Hotels

The redeveloped hotel will have about 450 suites, fine dining restaurants and more than 30,000 square feet of meeting space.It will also feature a 13,000-square-foot wellness/ fitness center with a spa and salon.

The lower levels of the building will be opened up with glass, to make it more accessible to pedestrians, said David Songy, CEO of Songy Partners. Gensler & Associates is the project architect.

The renovations are scheduled to begin in late 2007 and the hotel is expected to open by mid-2009.The Sheraton-Lincoln Plaza opened in 1962 as mixed-use hotel and office building.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/5117516.html

Edited by Boris

What the heck? Either DT is in a slump or it isn't.

What aspect of downtown? For the most part, it's doing very well.

Office is booming.

Chain hotels are booming on account of more business travelers.

Boutique hotels are slow going on account of a weak market for leisure travelers.

Aside from One Park Place, residential is nonexistent. Office demand has driven land prices beyond what the residential market can bear.

Retail is good, not great. Still lots of vacancy at street level.

Industrial is all but non-existent anymore.

You know, the Chronicle mentions that DT Houston has 4,751 hotel rooms, while San Antonio has about 12,000. Now I understand that SA is mostly a tourist town, but does the difference in the numbers surprise anyone else?

I know Hilton, Hyatt, and Four Seasons have had high occupancy over the past few weeks, but I also wonder about the other hotels (Magnolia, Club Quarters, Alden). I kinda' keep track at the Hyatt and Hilton regularly, but not the other chains. Anyone have a clue?

• 3 weeks later...

I guess no one has a clue.

Anyhoo....

Turns out the exterior is starting to decay a bit faster than anyone realized.

A couple of small chunks fell from the 4th or 5 floor a couple of days ago (One measuring about 10 inches long and 4 inches thick) and they might have to put something to protect the people walking underneath it.

I just happened to talk to a gentleman walking by inspecting said damage and commented that it's STILL not a sure thing. something about making the numbers work.

I'm sad, but not surprised, that it isn't a sure thing. A number of other redevelopment proposals for the property have fallen through.

It's also not the first time chunks have fallen off the building. You can see where there is a large hole in the back, and there is also damage on the Louisiana side dating from when the building was gutted.