Gateway Station: 3-Hotels, Retail Above METRO Transit Center For The TMC

EXCLUSIVE REPORTS

From the January 28, 2005 print edition

First effort calls for mixed-use project over transit center

Jennifer Dawson

Houston Business Journal

The Metropolitan Transit Authority's first venture into stimulating real estate development along light rail is geared toward putting a mixed-use project on an existing transit center.

Todd Mason's initial mission as a recently appointed Metro vice president is to identify private developers who might be interested in constructing a high-rise project for possible retail, restaurant, condo or medical office tenants over the TMC Transit Center at Fannin and Pressler. The Texas Medical Center site doubles as a combination light rail stop and terminal where buses pick up and drop off passengers.

Mason plans on sending a request for qualifications to hundreds of developers within the next two months. His goal is to find a list of prospects with the capability and experience to handle such a significant project on the 4.5-acre site.

Metro gained full-time access to Mason's services by signing a five-year, $2 million contract with McDade Smith Gould Johnston Mason + Co.

The real estate firm's name principal and chief financial officer occupies an office in Metro's new downtown headquarters, where his duties include promoting commercial development on or near Metro properties and handling all of Metro's real estate holdings.

Mason's description of his job would apply more to a for-hire contractor than a full-time employee.

"Metro has outsourced their real estate department to me," Mason says. "The primary goal is to take their transit centers and park-and-ride lots that have real estate value beyond a parking lot, and get them into the private sector for joint venture-type deals."

Open for ideas

The inaugural effort to put a mixed-use project on a Medical Center transit hub could determine the feasibility and direction of future Metro real estate development.

While hundreds will receive requests for qualifications, Mason expects to be dealing with a select few.

"What I hope is we can narrow it down to six or less truly qualified developers," he says.

Metro would then conduct one-on-one negotiations to see what sort of deals could be structured with various developers. Mason hopes to make a final selection for the project by June.

The TMC Transit Center project is wide open for development ideas at this point. Metro may do a ground lease or sell air rights to a developer, Mason says. Or the transit agency could enter into a joint venture with a developer on the project.

One likely prospect is the Morgan Group Inc., a Houston-based apartment builder with experience in developing transit-related projects in California.

Company CEO Michael Morgan says the Metro project sounds interesting, but unless incentives are offered it might be difficult to turn a profit.

"The Med Center is a good market, but everything is rent-sensitive," Morgan explains. "Land prices have gotten so high that it's very hard to make apartment numbers work any more."

Mason points out that Metro may be able to help make the numbers work because the transit authority has other revenue potential from the deal.

In addition to receiving lease payments, the development would funnel money to Metro through increased ridership and an expanded tax base, Mason says.

"I don't have to get nearly as high of a return on real estate as a traditional land owner," Mason says. "In many ways, it could save on what the cost of land is."

Rising demand in one of the city's hottest sub-markets also could affect financial arrangements.

Paul Layne of Trizec Properties says he is not familiar with Metro's plan, but suggests a high-rise project makes sense because the Med Center area has nowhere to go but up.

"I think the idea of going vertical in the Texas Medical Center has proven to be a logical element of life because of the incredible density they have there," Layne says. "That's smart business."

Fee sharing

Commercial developer David Wolff came up with the idea of retaining private real estate professionals following his appointment as Metro board chairman in 2004.

Wolff and Metro President Frank Wilson interviewed several firms before hiring McDade Smith, Mason says.

"We'll make Metro a very business-friendly, forward-thinking entity," says Mason. "I think I can create value for them."

For $400,000 a year, Metro gets Mason on a full-time basis, as well as McDade Smith broker Jeff Lindenberger and an administrative person.

"We had to have the base fee if I was going to devote all of my time to the account," Mason says. "We worked out a compensation package that incentified me."

As Metro properties are bought and sold, McDade Smith will attach regular brokerage fees to the transactions. Metro will receive 75 percent of the commission revenue until the agency's $400,000 investment is recovered in any given year.

If brisk real estate activity pushes the amount past the $400,000 mark, the brokerage fee revenue will be split 50-50 between Metro and the real estate firm, Mason says.

The transit authority also gains access to the experienced McDade Smith team as part of the contract.

"Two heads are better than one. Fifteen heads are better than two," Mason says.

Estimating income from development deals along rail lines may be difficult at this point, but Mason's status as Metro's real estate czar provides access to other revenue streams.

A big share of the brokerage team's earnings could come in divesting Metro properties, an activity that has received little attention in the past.

Metro owns some 1,500 sites around Houston, and it's Mason's job to help determine the worth of each one.

Looking ahead

Market demand and Metro's ownership of the property made the TMC Transit Center a logical place to test the real estate development waters.

But existing design factors also attracted Mason.

The center consists of a series of bus platforms and stairs that climb to a skybridge and link to the light rail stop on Fannin. The skybridge one day will connect to a University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center building scheduled for construction.

Instead of building upon an existing base structure, a developer would have to design a project that could be constructed above the platforms and moored to the ground.

"It's already designed to be able to build a high-rise on that site with the transit center below it," explains Mason. "They put the footings into the ground to be able to build a high-rise above the transit center."

Mason envisions more than one tower being constructed, possibly a high-rise and a midrise.

With the wheels set in motion, Mason already is looking at a second possible development site -- the 6.7-acre Wheeler-Blodgett station.

Mason says he won't move forward until the Federal Transportation Administration makes a recommendation as to whether another rail line could eventually intersect and increase the site's value.

Somewhere down the road, other development possibilities may include strip retail centers at various park-and-ride lots or multifamily developments on or near them, he says.

Switching to his sales agent hat, Mason says one site that may soon be declared surplus Metro property could attract quite a bit of attention from buyers. The 12-acre tract occupied by an underutilized park-and-ride is located next to a Wal-Mart north of Interstate 10 and west of the Beltway.

Mason's goals over the next five years are to maximize Metro's real estate holdings and capitalize on transit center land values.

"It's an opportunity to do something really neat for the city of Houston," Mason says. "If we're successful, I think we can put some things on the map."

• Like 1

I hope these types of ventures push forward. I'm glad to see metro take the position of working with developers to attract development in the area. Developers are much more likely to develop a potentially risky project if incentives from agencies of public are available. Also, since metro is being run more and more like a competent business instead of a public agency, it looks good for the future.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/business/3114670

-------------------

This message has been edited to remove copyrighted material.

Please do not post copyrighted photos or articles from newspapers or magazines. We have already received a warning from the Houston Chronicle, and the legal departments of other publications have visited the site. If you would like to discuss a published article, please summarize the article and provide a link to the original source.

-------------------

• Like 1

Well, since Wheeler Station is the proposed terminal connection for the Westpark-Uptown extension, I tend to doubt that anything major will go up there before that new segment is built. At that point, it probably would make an excellent site for a major mixed-use development.

First things first, though: the Camden development on the superblock needs to get started so that the idea of implementing new residential and retail along the rail line will gain even more steam.

• Like 1

METRO owns a lot of land at the Wheeler station and near it. They've said in the past they'd be exploring development options for that property as well, but I think it's considered to be a lower priority project than the TMC Transit Center project.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Oct. 20, 2005, 11:27AM

Metro gets in on Med Center hotel-office project

The Metropolitan Transit Authority said it will form a joint venture with Houston-based Transwestern Commercial Services to build a $105 million real estate development above the Texas Medical Center transit center at Fannin and Pressler.

The multi-use project, which is expected to break ground mid-to-late 2006, will include a 175-room hotel, 30 condominiums, 168,000 square feet of medical office space, a 15,000-square-foot wellness center and 35,000 square feet of retail space.

Local architecture firm Kirksey is designing the project.

Link to story... http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3405620

• Like 1

It's good that were hearing something new about this and it didn't just disappear. I saw in the HBJ today about the wheeler station, or maybe it was this one and they were just talking about the wheeler station, I didn't get long enough to read into detail.

• Like 1

It's good that were hearing something new about this and it didn't just disappear. I saw in the HBJ today about the wheeler station, or maybe it was this one and they were just talking about the wheeler station, I didn't get long enough to read into detail.

jan4-4.jpg

I'll see if I have a "daytime" version around. This was from my old lab.

view3.jpg

I'll take a couple more aerial pics when I'm over that side of the TMC.

Also found this image..

aerialview.jpg

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

According to the above link and article from Oct. 24 2005, construction is scheduled to start in 4Q of 2006. Has anyone heard anything? By now, or very at least soon, we should see plans or more definite plans at least.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

project-image-1292881815.1358486790.jpg

Mixed use complex

To be constructed over light rail facility

Located in the Texas Medical Center

Construction cost of $105 million

In a joint development with Transwestern Development Company and The Metropolitan Transit Authority (Metro), Kirksey is designing the new mixed-use complex that will be constructed over an existing light rail transit facility on Fannin in the Texas Medical Center. Under the agreement, Transwestern will lease air space from Metro above the transit center for 99 years. Estimated at $105 million, the development will house hotel, residential, retail and medical office components and will connect by a skybridge to the surrounding Medical Center.

http://www.kirksey.c..._transit_center

• Like 3