Eastwood Or Riverside Terrace

travelguy_73

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I find it funny that individuals over there near and in Riverside Terrace wear shirts and hats proclaiming save our homes or this is our neighborhood when not that many years ago that area was Jewish not African American.

Actually, that's where the whole thing came from. When the Negroes were forced to live in separate areas of Houston from the white people who were heading to the suburbs, the Negroes started to move into 3rd Ward. The Jews were sporting "this is my home and it is not for sale" - not because they didn't want development, but because they didn't want Negroes living next door.

"Funny"

I don't think the Resistance to newcomers in Riverside Terrace is based on race, even after white flight this area never became a totally African American neighborhood. There are still many white families that never left the area and no problems between the two groups exist. This area is now a mix of White, Black, Hispanic and Asian . My next door neighbors are white, they built their home in the 1940's, across the street an interracial couple are renovating an old Georgian Home from the 1940's. In an older neighborhood, the oldsters need time to get use to the new comers, if you think you can come in to the "hood" and get instant love think again. We are African American and it has taken nearly a year to get to know many of our neighbors because we are the new people on the block. Once you get to know each other life will be sweet, don't let race stop you from living your dream

In an older neighborhood, the oldsters need time to get use to the new comers, if you think you can come in to the "hood" and get instant love think again.

The people that I have moved into Glenbrook are always amazed at how friendly and open the people are. I have heard the same thing from people moving into Eastwood. What you are telling me also reinforces what clients that have moved into Riverside have said. Apparently the lack of instant love is not an old neighborhood thing, it is a Riverside thing.

The people that I have moved into Glenbrook are always amazed at how friendly and open the people are. I have heard the same thing from people moving into Eastwood. What you are telling me also reinforces what clients that have moved into Riverside have said. Apparently the lack of instant love is not an old neighborhood thing, it is a Riverside thing.

Good post. It definitely makes one begin to wonder...

...cept that "battle of glenbrook" neighbor

So far, everyone I've met in Eastwood that lives in a single-family dwelling has been very receptive and kind. There really is a sense of community, with neighbors that look out for and help one another. There are also duplexes and four-plexes that harbor a less desirable element, but it isn't usually too much of a problem lately.

Eastwood is already far more integrated though, already, and had been slowly gaining an increasing caucaisian population for many years under the radar while most of Riverside Terrace languished as more of a mono-culture. That precondition probably takes the edge out of the now rapid rate of gentrification and home price appreciation in Eastwood.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, I just noticed your comments and it immediately wanted me to sign up and talk about Riverside Terrace and Riverside. My wife and I moved here in June and we purchased a 2100 sq/ft home to renovate in Riverside Terrace. We are about 50% done right now.

I have a love/hate relationship with this neighborhood and a lot of it has to do with certain neighbors and not all. My wife and I are white we are the only people on the block that are, so everytime I am over there working with subs I "stick out like a sore thumb" and usually get involved in great conversations with my neighbors. Most of them are very receptive about us coming in an fixing everything up, but there are a few bad eggs who show reverse discrimination towards us. One of the neighbors came by the other day and asked if I was moving into the house when I was done, and when I told her I was she said, "Oh No! We can't have white people moving in! This is a black neighborhood!" Since then, I have been called on all the time about noise or trash around the house she does not like to see.

I hate it comes down to the color of my skin that slows down productivity in what I consider a great neighborhood with amazing potential.

If you drive through this neighborhood you will realize why I love it. The architecture is amazing, the lots are huge, the location is the best in the city giving you access to 4 major cooridors within minutes of accessing (Spur 5, 288, South Loop, and 45), and the parks and recreation is an open canvas for creative neighbors to come in and turn into one of the nicest areas to hang out in the city.

I know a lot about this area because I am constantly researching it, so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

I think it really takes a investor or a developer who is willing to come in and comingle with the neigbors and assure them that you are not going to tear down a house and build a house or group of townhomes that are going to be an eye sore. I also think for this area to turn there needs to be a flood. No, I am not talking about a flood from a hurricane or tropical storm, but a flood of renovators, investors, and developers to come in at the same time and start to change the opinions that the neighbors have and get rid of the bad eggs that are slowing down production.

We slowed down production because we are still feeling our way out when it comes to electrical and plumbing contractors. There is not consistancy in the market when it comes to bidding. I have one who bids out $8000 for an electrical rewire and another who bids the same work for $3500. Both are licensed but I can't decide if the high bid is trying to get to me or the low bid does not know the scope of work enough and will come back to me later for more money. If you guys have suggestions let me know.

Sorry for the long response, but I just felt I had to get it all out.

Hey everyone, I just noticed your comments and it immediately wanted me to sign up and talk about Riverside Terrace and Riverside. My wife and I moved here in June and we purchased a 2100 sq/ft home to renovate in Riverside Terrace. We are about 50% done right now.

I have a love/hate relationship with this neighborhood and a lot of it has to do with certain neighbors and not all. My wife and I are white we are the only people on the block that are, so everytime I am over there working with subs I "stick out like a sore thumb" and usually get involved in great conversations with my neighbors. Most of them are very receptive about us coming in an fixing everything up, but there are a few bad eggs who show reverse discrimination towards us. One of the neighbors came by the other day and asked if I was moving into the house when I was done, and when I told her I was she said, "Oh No! We can't have white people moving in! This is a black neighborhood!" Since then, I have been called on all the time about noise or trash around the house she does not like to see.

I hate it comes down to the color of my skin that slows down productivity in what I consider a great neighborhood with amazing potential.

If you drive through this neighborhood you will realize why I love it. The architecture is amazing, the lots are huge, the location is the best in the city giving you access to 4 major cooridors within minutes of accessing (Spur 5, 288, South Loop, and 45), and the parks and recreation is an open canvas for creative neighbors to come in and turn into one of the nicest areas to hang out in the city.

I know a lot about this area because I am constantly researching it, so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

I think it really takes a investor or a developer who is willing to come in and comingle with the neigbors and assure them that you are not going to tear down a house and build a house or group of townhomes that are going to be an eye sore. I also think for this area to turn there needs to be a flood. No, I am not talking about a flood from a hurricane or tropical storm, but a flood of renovators, investors, and developers to come in at the same time and start to change the opinions that the neighbors have and get rid of the bad eggs that are slowing down production.

We slowed down production because we are still feeling our way out when it comes to electrical and plumbing contractors. There is not consistancy in the market when it comes to bidding. I have one who bids out $8000 for an electrical rewire and another who bids the same work for $3500. Both are licensed but I can't decide if the high bid is trying to get to me or the low bid does not know the scope of work enough and will come back to me later for more money. If you guys have suggestions let me know.

welcome to the forum rapturematt. we're used to long posts. keep 'em comin'.

i had the occasion to drive through eastwood yesterday. the area looks like a great find. in fact, i felt a little giddy as i drove mckinney towards downtown. i haven't driven through RT for years, but look forward to checking it out.

I'm not saying its right but white people have to understand that black people are always going to be suspicious of y'all.

You don't have to go too far back to understand why! Judging by how a large percentage of white people feel about black people/ minority people and their neighborhoods, It would seem strange to many as to why even a small number of white people would want to live in a minority neighborhood. Very rarely do you see true diversity in neighborhoods. The neighborhoods that are diverse are usually going "downhill" as whites are move out and minorities move in.

Riverside Terrace is a very favorable place to live due to its proximity to everything. I would bet a large $$ amount (exorbitant) that in < 10years there will be a majority white presence in Riverside Terrace. Taxes will drive many away the pursuit of the "White" American Dream will cause the rest to go, (Woodland, Sugarland, Katy,and all the other MASTER planned communities).

Some of them just think more highly of themselves than others. I ran into the same thing when getting bids for a new 200A service. Two bids came in at the low number, and I used one of those contractors with no major complaints.

I'm not saying its right but white people have to understand that black people are always going to be suspicious of y'all.

You don't have to go too far back to understand why! Judging by how a large percentage of white people feel about black people/ minority people and their neighborhoods, It would seem strange to many as to why even a small number of white people would want to live in a minority neighborhood. Very rarely do you see true diversity in neighborhoods. The neighborhoods that are diverse are usually going "downhill" as whites are move out and minorities move in.

Riverside Terrace is a very favorable place to live due to its proximity to everything. I would bet a large $$ amount (exorbitant) that in < 10years there will be a majority white presence in Riverside Terrace. Taxes will drive many away the pursuit of the "White" American Dream will cause the rest to go, (Woodland, Sugarland, Katy,and all the other MASTER planned communities).

I think Riverside Terrace was master planned too, the "masters" being Jews. Is it somehow selling out for black people to want to live in a nice suburban setting? I would say that those that choose that setting are less hung up on their own race and that of their neighbors than...some others. And it's obvious why white people would want to move there, but most won't because they would feel uncomfortable perhaps, and maybe that's one reason why some black people wouldn't want whites moving in, because they might feel uncomfortable. And there might be a little possessiveness of this being, "our place now". Most in Riverside seem to have the income to support rising values, since homestead taxes will only go up 10% per year max, and they're already probably doing that now, and over 65s are in good shape too.

Yes, we all know what happens when whites move into a "minority" nabe (I did). They start to fix the place up (I'm doing that this weekend, and almost every weekend), get involved in civic matters, walk their dogs (Garnet Coleman's observation). Then, the next thing you know, crime is down and there goes the neighborhood.....Do you think the blacks in Riverside would like to see whites, and others of all races perhaps too, move into neighboring Washington Terrace and start to fix up those old, wonderful homes? Wouldn't the area look great with a full-blown restoration in progress? Or, would most prefer to keep it as is, just because it's a "black neighborhood"?

I think you might be right about Riverside ultimately becoming a "white" area again. The ironic thing is, most people who enjoy restoring old homes happen to be white for some reason, so Riverside Terrace, if it will ultimately survive, will have the restorers to thank. Honestly, I think it has true potential to be, and am hopeful that it will eventually be, a mixed nabe with the common goals of keeping it as is architectually, if not racially, which is the true American Dream, but maybe that's just dreamin'.

I am definately not trying make a big deal about what type of neighborhood it is. I love this neighborhood just for the archeticture alone, and I really don't care what color my neighbor is, I just see them as my neighbor and I need to look after them. I think you are right on when it comes to the residents will eventually be taxed out of thier properties and better people will move in. Most of the neighbors that I have are widows in their 80s now. They all are nice except for the one accross the street. Their houses will eventually come up for sale, but I would hate to see a reverse "White Flight" instead of creating a great diverse neighborhood.

If I am not mystaken, we live in the 21st century. WE ALL JUST NEED TO GET ALONG!

I have just got two other offers accepted for properties in Riverside Terrace and we plan to renovate the community one project at a time. I also plan on getting involved in the politics of the neighborhoods that we are purchasing home in and focus on organization and unity instead of division.

I am uploading some pictures of the home I purchased for all to view and some artist renderings of what it will look like afterward.

post-4903-1194123056.jpg

post-4903-1194123086.jpg

post-4903-1194123120.jpg

post-4903-1194123151.jpg

post-4903-1194123167.jpg

While I certainly don't condone the mistreatment you are receiving at the hands of some African Americans who believe you don't belong in their neighborhood, experiencing this treatment solely on the basis of race gives you an idea of what some African Americans have had to endure for many years as they sought entry into previously all white neighborhoods. As an African American who has moved into two previously all-white neighborhoods, I experienced much worse treatment that required intervention by law officials than you describe in one of the neighborhoods I desegregated. Hopefully, this experience as negative as it might be will help you empathize with those African Americans who for many years have been on the receiving of being mistreated when they tried to move into a neighborhood where they weren't wanted.

While I certainly don't condone the mistreatment you are receiving at the hands of some African Americans who believe you don't belong in their neighborhood, experiencing this treatment solely on the basis of race gives you an idea of what some African Americans have had to endure for many years as they sought entry into previously all white neighborhoods. As an African American who has moved into two previously all-white neighborhoods, I experienced much worse treatment that required intervention by law officials than you describe in one of the neighborhoods I desegregated. Hopefully, this experience as negative as it might be will help you empathize with those African Americans who for many years have been on the receiving of being mistreated when they tried to move into a neighborhood where they weren't wanted.

I am sorry but there is no excuse for racism regardless of what side it comes from. If you never let old grudges die, then we will never get past the idiot decison making of yesteryear.

I am uploading some pictures of the home I purchased for all to view and some artist renderings of what it will look like afterward.

Would you like some house with that shrubbery? LOL

It has potential. Although I think the stone (fake?!?) on the second level has the potential to severely disrupt the classic look of the house if not done right. You could end up with some generic suburbia looking crap if you don't play your cards just right. You might consider either bricking that area to match the rest of the house or some wood shingles.

I am sorry but there is no excuse for racism regardless of what side it comes from. If you never let old grudges die, then we will never get past the idiot decison making of yesteryear.

Obviously you didn't read or completely understand what I was saying. I never said there was an excuse for racism, nor did I say that I didn't think that people should let old grudges die. What's more the racism, discrimination, and prejudice that African Americans experience when they move to previously all-white neighborhoods isn't a thing of the past. The negative experience I had happened recently not in some distant past. All of this notwithstanding, I want to repeat what I said so you will understand. What I said is that while I don't condone, that is accept, what happened to you, your experience might help you understand what others have been through. Although you may not agree, I have found that sometimes it helps me understand what others are going through when I experience a similar situation. Unfortunately your failure to understand what I was saying and your immediate response to jump down my throat is often why people from different racial backgrounds aren't able come to work together toward mutual acceptance, respect and understanding.

Obviously you didn't read or completely understand what I was saying. I never said there was an excuse for racism, nor did I say that I didn't think that people should let old grudges die. What's more the racism, discrimination, and prejudice that African Americans experience when they move to previously all-white neighborhoods isn't a thing of the past. The negative experience I had happened recently not in some distant past. All of this notwithstanding, I want to repeat what I said so you will understand. What I said is that while I don't condone, that is accept, what happened to you, your experience might help you understand what others have been through. Although you may not agree, I have found that sometimes it helps me understand what others are going through when I experience a similar situation. Unfortunately your failure to understand what I was saying and your immediate response to jump down my throat is often why people from different racial backgrounds aren't able come to work together toward mutual acceptance, respect and understanding.

I think that when there's a talk of racism, any indication that someone is defending it for any reason at all--or even just looking for a silver lining--is bound to take some flak. Treating anyone differently on account of their skin color isn't just morally wrong, it is stupid. There's no excuse. No defense. No silver lining.

There should be no need for him to understand what others have gone through in the past because--moving into a predominantly black neighborhood--he's almost certainly not the type that would be inflicting such discrimination on others, were the roles reversed. But your response loosely implied that he might learn a lesson from this experience. It comes across as insulting and preachy.

Unfortunately, your failure to understand the impact of what you were saying is why individuals from different racial backgrounds that are in perfect agreement about matters related to racism and discrimination aren't able to come to work together toward mutual acceptance, respect, and understanding.

There should be no need for him to understand what others have gone through in the past because--moving into a predominantly black neighborhood--he's almost certainly not the type that would be inflicting such discrimination on others, were the roles reversed. But your response loosely implied that he might learn a lesson from this experience. It comes across as insulting and preachy.

I didn't take what millenica said that way. It's good to get first hand experience and, if I were in rapturematt's place, that's probably how I would be looking at it; feeling fortunate to have been able to, in modern times, experience the role of the discriminee. It would tend to make all history in that vein all the richer.

And regarding racial and other types of discrimination in general; it's never personal, just other people reacting based on what they've got in their mind, so I wouldn't get emotional if it happened (and it has a few times) but it would tend to get old fast.

Listen, I don't want this tread to start racial tension. As I said, I think that it is stupid for anyone to be racist regardless of what color they are. We are not White Americans, African Americans, Asian Americans, Mexican Americans, etc. We are all Americans. This country was built on being a melting pot and sometimes the cultures clash, but once they educate themselves they get of rid of the ignorance and racism.

When I moved into this neighborhood, I knew that I was going to have certain people look at me in a discriminatory way, but since I am not racist, or at least I hope I am not, I knew it would be okay and I would eventually win their trust with my kindness and authenticity. The only one that has not gained trust in me is the one that keeps closed up in her house and never talks to anyone, therefore she is ignorant of the true me and what I am doing for the neighborhood. She does not realize that by me coming in and fixing up the house, I am not only improving my property value, but hers as well. She also does not realize that if she ever needs anything she is alienating herself by acting the way she does to me. She may never ask me for help, and that is her loss, because I would always give it. I am very nice to my neighbors and have a tendency to do several handyman things for them that I could charge them for, but don't because they are my neighbors and I want to take care of them.

By saying that I can now be more sympathetic with how other races are treated because of how I was treated is really, my eyes, the wrong way to approach it. I mean after all, you would assume by how I am, how I treat my neighbors and friends regardless of race, and what neighborhood I moved in that I am pretty sympathetic already. I am probably not the one that needs to learn the lesson. Of course you don't know me, but decided to chime in and said that I could learn a lesson from this experience.

It is going to take the white scolding the white and the black scolding the black for racism. Just like the old saying, "It takes a whold villiage to raise a child," it will take a whole village working together to end the racial discrimination and tension we have towards each other. How do I plan to start? Well, the first way is to stop pointing the finger. Second is by forgiving and forgetting what my neigbor said to me and being there to help her with anything that may come up in the future and continuing to do so until the tension is gone. How do you plan to start?

I found this little tidbit about Riverside Terrace that you all might be interested in. I also know there was a documentary about Riverside Terrace called, "This is my home. It is not for sale." I would love to see it. Does anyone know how I can get a copy of it?

www.oscarmail.net/houstonfreeways/ebook/South_Freeway_72ppi.pdf

I didn't take what millenica said that way. It's good to get first hand experience and, if I were in rapturematt's place, that's probably how I would be looking at it; feeling fortunate to have been able to, in modern times, experience the role of the discriminee. It would tend to make all history in that vein all the richer.

And regarding racial and other types of discrimination in general; it's never personal, just other people reacting based on what they've got in their mind, so I wouldn't get emotional if it happened (and it has a few times) but it would tend to get old fast.

I've had the discriminee experience several times. It didn't really endear me to the group to whom the individuals belonged. It didn't make history richer. It was unfortunate. That is all.

Rapture,

First off congrats for picking RT as your home and project. My wife and I purchased, restored, and resold a home over there and can attest to a lot of what you brought up. We had some negative episodes along with theft and vandalism. On that note when looking for homes you can find the most amazing homes over there for penny's on the dollar compared to the rest of Houston. However one thing that is common among the majority of them is how ragged out they are or even unsuccessful flip homes where the investors property was broken into, vandalized, copper stolen, AC Condensers either stolen or stripped, windows broken, etc... Quite a few properties fitting that description over there which is unfortunate.

We had to end up enlisting our dog to spend the nights over at the property and from that point we had no problems. Still it should not have been required as individuals property should be respected. We also noticed since we live over on the Eastwood side how quickly our streets over here empty out in the mornings as residents head off to work. I noticed the complete opposite over in RT with residents staying home and chatting outside or walking off to the quicky mart or Frenchy's to grab food. I base this upon driving by early in the morning, during the day, early and later afternoon's.

My wife and I thought about doing a second home in the area and I found a few potential projects however the re-work, unknowing what your going to find when you show up, etc... led us away for now at least.

All the best with your projects,

Scharpe St Guy

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw your post; I like hearing such positivity about Riverside Terrace. We bought one of the (seemingly-hated-by-this-forum) Urban Lofts on Calumet a couple of years ago. I have felt dedicated to this neighborhood but I'm having doubts lately. Someone was just (literally moments ago) shot outside our house in Riverside Park. There is an endless problem with other neighborhood residents throwing trash all over the neighborhood. There's broken glass and condoms all over the jungle gym in the park. This urban mama is starting to actually long for the suburbs, for a safer, cleaner place to raise my kids. But I sure do love the commute from here.

I don't have much money (hence the townhouse purchase) so options to move are limited. Those police lights outside right now make me wonder though.

I just saw your post; I like hearing such positivity about Riverside Terrace. We bought one of the (seemingly-hated-by-this-forum) Urban Lofts on Calumet a couple of years ago. I have felt dedicated to this neighborhood but I'm having doubts lately. Someone was just (literally moments ago) shot outside our house in Riverside Park. There is an endless problem with other neighborhood residents throwing trash all over the neighborhood. There's broken glass and condoms all over the jungle gym in the park. This urban mama is starting to actually long for the suburbs, for a safer, cleaner place to raise my kids. But I sure do love the commute from here.

I don't have much money (hence the townhouse purchase) so options to move are limited. Those police lights outside right now make me wonder though.

You know, I've personally always liked those townhomes, but living next to a park in a transitional neighborhood is just asking for problems.

I'm sorry to hear about the goings-on tonight.

Lord knows I am pretty brave on transitional neighborhoods, and have no problem with the fabulous Broadway & Bellfort intersection, but the area around that particular park has always had a "roll up the windows, lock the door, and hit the gas" kind of feeling. I love the old Groovy Grill house but personally that particular part of Riverside is just too much for me. Go across the bayou, or over into Timbercrest, and I would be fine. Just not right there, not for me anyway.

Of course not all of Riverside is like that.

I have to say that Riverside Park has always scared me a little. There is always traffic (people walking around and starring at you as you drive by) in that area. What I don't understand is why they church that neighbors the park does not get involved with the crime. That is one thing I have noticed about this area. People do not want to get involved and turn their head if they see any wrongdoing. That really needs to stop.

Sarah, your area will change, but it will be one of the last to change in Riverside. I would give it a couple of years before you start to see anything major though. We all do need to organize together to spur on the change and get the word out. Riverside is a diamond in the rough. The location is fantastic, the homes are beautiful, the lots are huge. What more can a home buyer ask for. Sure there is crime, but there is crime everywhere, and the more and more we buy the homes, the more of the criminals get bought out and have to move somewhere else. I am not saying that I want them to take their crime somewhere else, but if you are surrounded and concentrated by criminals like you have a tendency to have in Riverside's infamous Riverside Park, Tip Top Grocery, or any run down apartment complex, you are going to have a better tendency of doing a crime. Am I wrong about this?

On the other hand, the crime is not the Riverside that I know. Since I have had my "incident" with my neighbor, I have had every other neighbor come up to me and tell me not to pay attention to that "stupid" lady. They are happy to see me fixing up houses in the are and are very receptive. I know you will feel the same welcome if you come into this area. Sure their might be a few bad eggs left, but they are literally dying off everyday.

On a lighter note, Sarah, there is a seafood resturant that is close to your condo. Do you know if it is open or how good the food is? It might be a perfect place to have lunceons and community gatherings.

Archived