The Lodge At Cypress Creek On FM 1960

CreekDweller

There's a new restaurant opening on Kuykendahl at Woerner Rd just north of 1960 in what used to be a large private home. It's supposed to be called The Lodge at Cypress Creek and according to the sign it's billing itself as a "Texas Bistro". I called the number on the sign and nobody answered. Does anyone know if this is actually open yet and if not when it's going to be open? And what, dare I ask, does a "Texas Bistro" serve?

There's a new restaurant opening on Kuykendahl at Woerner Rd just north of 1960 in what used to be a large private home. It's supposed to be called The Lodge at Cypress Creek and according to the sign it's billing itself as a "Texas Bistro". I called the number on the sign and nobody answered. Does anyone know if this is actually open yet and if not when it's going to be open? And what, dare I ask, does a "Texas Bistro" serve?

The Shirleys (of Shirley Acres Banquet facilities next door) are opening that one. It is supposed to be some sort of nicer family-friendly place. Comfort food I think. Steaks, supposedly a great meatloaf I heard, but I don't know what else. It should be open pretty soon b/c I know Tuesday night they have a few friends and family going for a "test-run" sort of thing. I know someone that is supposed to be going so I may know more after that.

Any relation to the Lodge at Bayou Bend, formerly Rainbow Lodge on Memorial Dr.? I went there about 8 years ago, and it was high class dining in an old hunting lodge. The menu was American cuisine. You could order things like duck, quail, pheasant, turkey, veal, and steak. You had to wear a coat and tie to eat there. Recently, it became the Lodge at Memorial or Lodge at Bayou Bend. The Rainbow Lodge is now in the former location of La Tour D'Argent on T.C. Jester.

Any relation to the Lodge at Bayou Bend, formerly Rainbow Lodge on Memorial Dr.? I went there about 8 years ago, and it was high class dining in an old hunting lodge. The menu was American cuisine. You could order things like duck, quail, pheasant, turkey, veal, and steak. You had to wear a coat and tie to eat there. Recently, it became the Lodge at Memorial or Lodge at Bayou Bend. The Rainbow Lodge is now in the former location of La Tour D'Argent on T.C. Jester.

The Shirley's have for years run a popular business holding weddings, receptions and retreats at their property in Ponderosa Lakes. This will be a nice extension of that business.

The Lodge opened this Wednesday. We went there tonight around 8 p.m., it was still pretty busy in there. It's nicely decorated, but nothing fancy. We had some drinks, appetizers and dinner. Everything had a nice presentation, the service was good, but not hovering, prices were moderate, but not too expensive. No meatloaf on the menu though. All in all, I think it'll probably end up being a nice little upper-class neighborhood restaurant. Park-like setting is very appealing, too. Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

My wife and I went there last night for her birthday. We live in the neighborhood and had been keeping an eye on its progress. We didn't want to go there when it was first open, preferring to wait until they had time to work out any kinks.

It's not terribly fancy but then it's supposed to be like a lodge. For its size, it feels cozy, comfortable and relaxing. We had a room all to ourselves that was lined with shelves containing books, vases and decorative boxes. and a nice view to the patio outside.

We had wine ($8/glass) and a mandarin martini ($6.50 ea.--i had 2 actually) and enjoyed both. The food was really good. She had the filet mignon ($22) which, in my estimation, was the tenderest I'd ever had, and sweet mashed potato was one of the sides. I had the stuffed quail in madeira pan sauce i think ($19) w/ spinach and mashed potatos and it was absolutely delicious. We topped it off with a small bit of bread pudding ($???). We're not big fans of bread pudding but we like the one from Cafe Express on FM1960 and we figured everything is so good at The Lodge that their bread pudding must be awesome too. And you know what? It was awesome! Different from Cafe Express' pudding, but awesome just the same. Didn't try their coffee though.

Above all, though, was the service. Our waiter not only offered us attentive service, but was knowledgeable about the dishes, informed us about upcoming events and performances at The Lodge and clued us in on tips to make arrangements for future dining excursions to their restaurant.

I know we'll come back regularly. In fact, I may want to stop by, call my wife to meet me at the bar and have one of those mandarin martinis again.

• The title was changed to The Lodge At Cypress Creek On FM 1960

Archived