It recently came to my attention that one owner controls the entire 1,750-acre stretch from El Dorado Blvd. at the Gulf Freeway, down and around Baybrook Mall, across NASA Road One, and south to where Grissom Street ends, less than a half mile from Clear Creek. From its northernmost point to its southernmost point is 3.8 miles.

One owner, CDC Houston Inc., has control of the entire property. They are affiliated with Southbrook Corporation, Coventry Development Corporation, Eastfield Realty, and Clearfield Realty, all with ties to NYC. Anybody know what is planned on this site, which is practically infill?

Edited by TheNiche
  • Like 1

This was all former Humble Oil Co. land, later Fiendswood Development Co had some ownership in these parcels. Friendswood Development was a unit of Exxon at one time so that is probably how they became connected with it. Who knows now whats up with this land? I've noticed alot of the freeway frontage land has been cleared of brush lately.

This was all former Humble Oil Co. land, later Fiendswood Development Co had some ownership in these parcels. Friendswood Development was a unit of Exxon at one time so that is probably how they became connected with it. Who knows now whats up with this land? I've noticed alot of the freeway frontage land has been cleared of brush lately.

The land I'm talking comes right up to the Gulf Freeway and El Dorado intersection, but doesn't go into the active gas fields north of it. It is basically everything on both sides of the freeway from El Dorado down to Bay Area and then into the prairie directly south for two or three miles.

A home depot will be built at the intersection of Eldorado Blvd. and I-45 on the northbound side.

one complete shopping center has been designed and planned for 10 years now on the northbound side of I-45 between Bay Area & Eldorado.

It figures about the Home Depot -- there's a Lowe's not too far away, between Bay Area and El Dorado.

The store at NASA Rd#1 is being relocated to Eldorado Blvd. I think the move will happen next February.

Why do people build a perfectly good Home Depot and then relocate it a mile ot two up the road? We are up to our necks in Home Depots over here. How about just build an Arbys instead so I won't have to drive to Almeda Mall.

Edited by EastEnd Susan

isn't there one on bay area near space center? (where the kroger was)

Yes, theres one there but I'm in League City right where it meets Friendswood. We have no Arbys. The only time I get Arbys is sometimes for lunch at work. I work off Dixie Farm Road and go to the Almeda Arbys.

Edited by EastEnd Susan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

All of the area surrounding Baybrook Mall needs to be raised like now, before any further new construction.

Experts in landscape engineering must realize that this is low lying area. In the most common of heavy rains it is flooded. I am all for seeing this place (pun) being raised to the next level, but the reality is, Its just too low.

In fact if they created small man-made or retaining walls it would appear more beautiful anyway. Nasa Blvd and Bay Area Blvd need to be widened now. Check it out on a weekend around 12 noon to about 5pm. Its only going to get worse. Wait till next storm, yikes! :mellow::)

Anyone know more about the development near Baybrook Landing where the new Home Depot will be?

BaybrookAerial940.jpg

http://www.woodmont.com/index.cfm?FuseActi...p;PropertyID=55

It's all the same development, will be all shopping center from there northwest to ElDorado.

... Dick's sporting goods, Maggiano's restraurant, On the Border, Mimi's cafe, Johnny Carino's, I think thats about all that is being designed now, or that I am confident is going in.

Edited by westguy76

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
It's all the same development, will be all shopping center from there northwest to ElDorado.

... Dick's sporting goods, Maggiano's restraurant, On the Border, Mimi's cafe, Johnny Carino's, I think thats about all that is being designed now, or that I am confident is going in.

its been over a year since this post and i havent seen any signs of any of these stores and restaurants going up anywhere

where did you get that info?

Edited by fatesdisastr

• The title was changed to 1,750-Acres Around Baybrook Mall
  • 9 months later...

I looked for a thread for this property but wasn't unable to locate one. There is a thread about a parcel stretching from the Gulf Freeway to El Dorado; however, it does not seem to be the parcel where this development is located - but then again, maybe it is. If I overlooked the thread for this, please merge it into the existing one.

Baybrook East (or the name may be Eastfield at Baybrook) is a new retail development in Webster. It's being built from the ground up and is anchored by H-E-B grocery store.

Brochure 

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/SEC-I-45-El-Dorado-Blvd-Webster-TX/22396309/

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1

H-E-B opened in Baybrook East (or  Eastfield at Baybrook) in late 2021.

Photo of H-E-B  El Dorado at 18611 Eastfield Dr in Webster; from H-E-B's website.

spacer.png

Construction on the rest of the development will continue through 2022.

Community Impact reported more details earlier this year (January):

"The project is anchored by an H-E-B shopping center that opened on Dec. 29, 2021, according to Regency Centers, the real estate investment company behind the development.

The H-E-B shopping center takes up 105,260 square feet, according to construction documents, with the other stores taking up 29,650 square feet."

Completion timeline:

"Construction on the rest of the center is expected to start in the second quarter of this year and be completed in the fourth quarter"

https://communityimpact.com/houston/bay-area/development/2022/01/24/new-eastfield-at-baybrook-development-to-break-ground-in-2022-anchored-by-h-e-b/

• Like 1

Earlier this year, several retail tenants  were announced for this shopping center. The businesses will join H-E-B at Eastfield at Baybrook in the first quarter of 2023.

A partial tenant roster reported by Community Impact:

"Other tenants that are confirmed for the development include hot chicken restaurant Dave’s Hot Chicken, liquor store Twin Liquors, bistro-style restaurant Cafe Express, nail salon Nails of America and pizza restaurant Parry’s Pizzeria & Taphouse."

https://communityimpact.com/houston/bay-area/development/2022/01/24/new-eastfield-at-baybrook-development-to-break-ground-in-2022-anchored-by-h-e-b/

I don't think I have seen this reported or shared elsewhere online, but California-based In-N-Out Burger recently leased a unit at Baybrook East (or Eastfield at Baybrook).

The Webster location will be a lot closer for Bay Area residents and those living in on Houston's south, southeast, and east side. The restaurant's other locations in the Houston area are either on the west side or north side.

Supposedly, rumors swirled in 2013 regarding In-N-Out Burger scouting locations in Friendswood and Webster near Baybrook Mall.

Here is a blurb about in from a 2013 article from Galveston Daily News:

"Meanwhile, rumors are heating up that In-N-Out Burger, which started as a small drive-in restaurant in 1948 and has mushroomed into a $1.1 billion empire, is searching for sites around Baybrook Mall."

https://www.galvnews.com/blogs/laura_elders/article_7483f936-850a-11e2-b3a4-001a4bcf6878.html

• The title was changed to Baybrook East
On 7/12/2022 at 8:29 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

California-based In-N-Out Burger recently leased a unit at Baybrook East (or Eastfield at Baybrook).

Regency Centers, the developers of Baybrook East, uploaded an updated site plan showing In-N-Out Burger in late June. However, the site plan was removed in early July and replaced with a previous one which doesn't include In-N-Out Burger.

The updated site plan for Baybrook East was probably uploaded on accident. I was able to get a screenshot from a cache page of the site for proof. I also archived the link to the cache version of the site.

Additionally, In-Out-Burger signed a memorandum of lease and agreement with Baybrook East last month. The records are available on the Harris County Clerk's website.

spacer.png

• Like 1

I didn't realize that In-N-Out had a location in Houston.  Too bad this one seems to be vapor, as it would have been closer to me.  The only other one I see on the map is in what used to be called "far northwest Houston," outside Beltway 8, but inside 99.

21 minutes ago, editor said:

I didn't realize that In-N-Out had a location in Houston.  Too bad this one seems to be vapor, as it would have been closer to me.  The only other one I see on the map is in what used to be called "far northwest Houston," outside Beltway 8, but inside 99.

You missed out on the insane drive-thru lines when the first one opened up.  The two I know about are on I10 across from Katy Mills and off 59 between the beltway and hwy 6.  I know there were plans for more.

• 3 weeks later...

General contractor Arch-Con shared updated renderings of Baybrook East yesterday on their Instagram feed. Baybrook East is a mixed-used retail development in Webster.

The renderings show previously announced retail tenants: Dave’s Hot Chicken, Twin Liquors, Cafe Express, Milano Nails, Floyd's 99 Barbershop, and Parry’s Pizzeria & Taphouse.

The renderings are also on Arch-Con's website:
https://www.arch-con.com/divisions/retail/eastfield-at-baybrook/

The caption:

"Getting started at Eastfield at Baybrook (Baybrook East) for @regencycenters southeast of Houston near Space Center Houston. We are so grateful for our decade-long relationship with this impressive national developer. Check out these beautiful renderings by @bdgap of what is to come."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgzKMgSLamk/

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

17 hours ago, texan said:

I didn't expect the Taco Stand to open its Webster/Friendswood area branch at the Baybrook East development. This is great news for the restaurant. I hope it's able to do well there.

On a somewhat unrelated note: I figured CultureMap would be the first to report news of the Taco Stand expanding.

In mid-July, I emailed majority of the local print and digital publications with dining coverage (with the exception of CultureMap) regarding Taco Stand's expansion. I informed them about the likely outposts on the way to Montrose and in or around the Baybrook area, knowing it would be news CultureMap would scoop them otherwise. Yet, none of them wrote anything about it.

It's probably because the owners and their publicist denied the expansion (I know this from personal experience when I worked for Eater). Or it's possible they told inquiring reporters they weren't ready to disclose details, while planning to give CultureMap's food editor and reporter the exclusive as usual (also know this from personal experience).

Anyway, hopefully the announcement of the Taco Stand opening in Webster means news of the Montrose location may come soon.

18 hours ago, texan said:

The area needs more Houston chains and less national chains.

I know very little about the commercial real estate landscape in the Webster, Friendswood, and Clear Lake area. But I'm assuming for this particular development, the developers wanted retailers with more national or a wider presence. Chains are able to afford to operate in newer developments than a smaller, local business. I assume developers also think known chains people tend to like may have longevity (able to draw people to the development, afford rent, etc.) in comparison to an independent local business.  

Having many retail chains may not appeal to lots of people, but it's necessary, I think. However, the Webster, Friendswood, Clear Lake, and Bay Area are not lacking in local retailers, especially food and beverage businesses. There are a lot of small, locally-owned restaurants that opened their doors in that area in the last five years. Many of them are still in business.

So, there are lots of local dining options, including local mini-chains, opening and thriving. It may not be widely reported in publications like Houston Chronicle, Chon.com, Eater, Houstonia, Houston Press, or CultureMap, thus many of these businesses fly under many area resident's radars. But Community Impact, Houston Chronicle's suburban community papers, Galveston County Daily News, and Facebook food groups like Bay Area Food Lovers pick up the slack. Between those sources, it's possible to learn about newer and longstanding local dining businesses. 

18 hours ago, texan said:

This topic should more appropriately be in Points Southeast.

You're probably right. I tend to think of Webster, Friendswood, Clear Lake, League City, Texas City, Seabrook, and Kemah as the Bay Area. Though those areas are southeast of Houston, to me, Pasadena, South Houston, and Pearland are points of southeast. But if this would be a better fit in the points southeast forum, then it should be moved there.