Embassy Suites By Hilton Houston Downtown At 1515 Dallas St.

ricco67

Drove by the Hilton Americas and I noticed a new sign by that old Ballroom basically it said, "Coming soon: Residential/Retail/Restaurant. Was wondering if anything was set in stone.

For those wondering:

It's bordered by Caroline, Dallas, Lamar, and Crawford.

Edited by ricco67
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

So I'm staring out my office window on the 30th floor of One Houston Center, watching the progress on One Park Place (the condo tower in front of Discovery Green), when I notice a bulldozer with the arm extension (not sure the official name of this machine...) roll over to the banquet center that is next to the electrical substation and cater-cornered from the Hilton and One Park Place. This is on the south "curved road" part of Discovery Green. It just started tearing the building down. It's making good progress, as they are half way through one of the sides of the thing, and it's only been about 10 minutes of work.

Anybody know what they plan on doing with this block? It would be ripe for development, given its proximity to the new park, the new condo tower, the hotel, Pavilions, 4 Seasons, etc...

Yes, the gas leak makes sense. The bulldozer likely just hit a gas pipe or something. There doesn't seem to be any sense of urgency amongst the firemen on site. I can see where a gas leak next to an electrical substation could be cause for concern!

Sorry Jax, I don't have a camera. The scene just has the banquet center with half of one side torn off, an earth moving machine that is not currently doing anything, 2 firetrucks and an ambulance.

It's a two story structure painted a beige-pink color. No windows. Hideous. Glad to see it getting torn down. I would think that block would be the most valuable one surrounding Discovery Green, given its proximity to everything around there

edit: for those following the "excitement" at the site, all the firetrucks are gone, and the earth mover has moved to another part of the building, but hasn't started wrecking anything else. The machine is emitting a white smoke right now, though!

Edited by King Owl

Sounds like a really crappy place to have a banquet in. No windows? Damn..

I think I see it on google maps, I've walked that corner many times and it's weird that I don't remember it. It must have been bad. From google it looks like half the block was taken up by a parking lot. I agree, it's an ideal spot. Let's hope they put something nice there and don't just make the parking lot bigger.

<br />So I'm staring out my office window on the 30th floor of One Houston Center, watching the progress on One Park Place (the condo tower in front of Discovery Green), when I notice a bulldozer with the arm extension (not sure the official name of this machine...) roll over to the banquet center that is next to the electrical substation and cater-cornered from the Hilton and One Park Place. This is on the south "curved road" part of Discovery Green. It just started tearing the building down. It's making good progress, as they are half way through one of the sides of the thing, and it's only been about 10 minutes of work.<br /><br />Anybody know what they plan on doing with this block? It would be ripe for development, given its proximity to the new park, the new condo tower, the hotel, Pavilions, 4 Seasons, etc...<br />
<br /><br /><br />

actually, i mentioned this piece of property a few months back and no one had a clue about it there was a relatively new sign about it being a future multi-use development.

So I'm staring out my office window on the 30th floor of One Houston Center, watching the progress on One Park Place (the condo tower in front of Discovery Green), when I notice a bulldozer with the arm extension (not sure the official name of this machine...) roll over to the banquet center that is next to the electrical substation and cater-cornered from the Hilton and One Park Place. This is on the south "curved road" part of Discovery Green. It just started tearing the building down. It's making good progress, as they are half way through one of the sides of the thing, and it's only been about 10 minutes of work.

Anybody know what they plan on doing with this block? It would be ripe for development, given its proximity to the new park, the new condo tower, the hotel, Pavilions, 4 Seasons, etc...

FINALLY found the original post on this here. But I guess it went under EVERYONE's radar because no one really discussed it or knew anything about it.

sub(dude!) merge and purge? :)

It seems like this is the area that a couple years ago, some company out of Colorado bought property with plans to build residential. At the time they bought it though, they said they weren't going to start construction for 4-6 years, they were going to wait until it made sense to build. This was before Pavillions and Discovery Green had gotten started. So maybe the time is right, now? Let me see if I can dig and find something on it, I could just be making stuff up.

It seems like this is the area that a couple years ago, some company out of Colorado bought property with plans to build residential. At the time they bought it though, they said they weren't going to start construction for 4-6 years, they were going to wait until it made sense to build. This was before Pavillions and Discovery Green had gotten started. So maybe the time is right, now? Let me see if I can dig and find something on it, I could just be making stuff up.

You're thinking of LandCo. They're from Colorado Springs, but their land (Block 98) is north of the park and just north of where Trammell Crow is building Discovery Tower.

Friday (August 31) at about 2pm I hear these "bangs" and really think nothing of it. I am in 5 Houston Center, and am right next to the new Fingers building and the new park. So hearing bangs is kind of the norm. At around 4 I look out and they have a machine tearing up this building. -- The kid in me was dreaming "I wish I was down there tearing up a building in that big monster machine", it looked really fun!

CHANNELTWO, you're the man for pictures. thanks

That's why I always keep my camera in the car when I can remember to, so thanks!

Those signs are a damned tease. Seems like some good projects could come of it, especially when you think of what the view from the park could be with a few highrises on the perimeter.

If it's supposed to be residential AND retail, the building has to go vertical just to be profitable because the lot is so small. If something is built on here, I wonder how much longer the other lots surrounding the park would last before they start seeing some action, provided the Interest crises doesn't scare anyone off.