Improvement Ideas Sought For Kirby Dr.

Subdude

Kirby group seeks businesses' advice

Power lines, median beauty leading the list

By ANNE MARIE KILDAY

Chronicle Correspondent

A "community outreach" program to get ideas from business owners on Kirby Drive will be conducted by the Kirby Coalition in an effort to resolve some of the more controversial and costly proposals to improve the street's appearance.

Those proposals include limiting driveways, relocating overhead power lines and installing a tree-filled median between Bissonnet and the Southwest Freeway.

The Kirby Coalition was formed last year to advise the city of Houston on rebuilding Kirby, as the $40 million Kirby Storm Sewer Project is completed.

The four-year project involves replacing storm sewers under Kirby with huge box culverts, which are designed to alleviate flooding in the Texas Medical Center and surrounding neighborhoods.

Seventy-five percent of the project is being funded by a grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency as a response to flooding in the Texas Medical Center during Tropical Storm Allison in June 2001.

As construction started last month on the sewer project, leaders of the coalition met with residents and businesses near Loop 610 South to explain their efforts to include amenities when the Kirby is rebuilt.

With engineering for the rest of the project about 50 percent complete, the coalition decided last week it needs more involvement from business owners about the more controversial aspects of rebuilding the street.

The controversial elements include restricting curb cuts to business driveways, relocating utility poles, and the median between Bissonnet and the Southwest Freeway.

The median issue, which earlier had divided merchants in the Rice Village and residents of nearby neighborhoods and communities

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand a lot of the businesses that front Kirby between University and Bissonet wanting to keep the left turn lanes, because it would make access to their stores difficult without it. However that section of Kirby is one of the ugliest streetscapes in the city, especially to be located in a pretty upscale neighborhood. I do hope the median between Bissonnet and the freeway is kept in the plans and that something can be done to relocate power lines and reduce the number of driveways. Fewer driveways would do a lot to help traffic flow in the area as well as improve the landscape. Decorative street lights would also be a nice improvement. But even if none of these improvements are implemented, just getting the street rebuilt will be a major improvement as it's one of the worst major streets in the city when it comes to pavement condition.

I just moved into a new place on Kirby at North Braeswood... I'm dreading dealing with the construction the next few years (we got notice it's starting this week between Brays Bayou and Holcombe) but hopefully the end results will be worth the hassle.

I remember seeing a report on CH11 about this- the Kirby ppl wanted to raise a few million dollars for the beautification of the road, and the city wants to work with them.

I understand a lot of the businesses that front Kirby between University and Bissonet wanting to keep the left turn lanes, because it would make access to their stores difficult without it. However that section of Kirby is one of the ugliest streetscapes in the city, especially to be located in a pretty upscale neighborhood. I do hope the median between Bissonnet and the freeway is kept in the plans and that something can be done to relocate power lines and reduce the number of driveways. Fewer driveways would do a lot to help traffic flow in the area as well as improve the landscape. Decorative street lights would also be a nice improvement. But even if none of these improvements are implemented, just getting the street rebuilt will be a major improvement as it's one of the worst major streets in the city when it comes to pavement condition.

I just moved into a new place on Kirby at North Braeswood... I'm dreading dealing with the construction the next few years (we got notice it's starting this week between Brays Bayou and Holcombe) but hopefully the end results will be worth the hassle.

People are asking an awful lot of Kirby. It's a street which happens to run through a lovely neighborhood; it's a vital traffic artery; and it's commercially desirable. There's no simple solution.

If something needs to be sacrificed, I reluctantly vote for the commercial interests. This gives me no pleasure. Businesses can be relocated more easily than desirable neighborhoods can be established, or traffic can be redirected. This section of Kirby Drive is best reserved for through traffic and as an attractive street which serves some of the most valuable residential property in Houston. Viable businesses will have to bite the bullet and relocate.

btw, ssullivan, I admire and appreciate your point of view.

Relocating power lines is a big step in the right direction. Overhead power lines are a big contributor to ugliness in this city. Especially streets like Dunlavy with huge high-tension lines. Burying the lines would be better, but just moving them off the street as the article says is cheaper and will help.

Well, they could bury them, like stated above. It should not be too complicated, as they did a similar burying project on HW6 in Missouri City.

Underground electric service would certainly be more attractive than the wires and poles that clutter the urban landscape.

But jeez...it would be VERY expensive. The streets would have to be torn up and repaved, and every business or residence would have to install new service drops at their own expense.

Also, underground electric service is a pain in the neck to maintain. I used to work for HL&P, and have fielded a lot of calls from people whose underground service drops had failed. Why? Beats me. Maybe there's something caustic in our soil, or maybe it's the effects of the gumbo expanding and contracting with each rainfall or drought. For whatever reason, these poor folks would have to rent a temporary by-pass, and hire someone to dig up the old drops and install new ones, and resod their lawns. And some of these houses were only 10-15 years old. Unless technology has improved, underground service remains a luxury many people cannot afford.

• 4 months later...

Jan. 25, 2005, 11:12PM

Business owners pan traffic median plan

Consultant says project would improve safety on Kirby Drive

By ANNE MARIE KILDAY

Chronicle Correspondent

Plans to install medians along a short stretch of Kirby Drive drew strong opposition from business owners who attended a recent public forum held by the Upper Kirby District.

The business owners said that the proposed medians will cut into their drive-by traffic from customers who travel on Kirby between Bissonnet and the Southwest Freeway.

Consultants for the Upper Kirby District said that medians will improve safety on Kirby, one of the most dangerous streets in the Houston area.

The city of Houston is rebuilding Kirby Drive as part of a $40 million storm sewer replacement project aimed at alleviating flooding in the Texas Medical Center and surrounding neighborhoods.

The Upper Kirby District contracted with the Gunda Corp. for recommendations aimed at improving mobility in the district.

Ned Levine, a traffic consultant for the Houston Galveston Area Council, advised the district on improving safety on Kirby.

He recommended the raised medians.

"Our current conclusions are that raised medians are safer for both vehicles and pedestrians," Levine said. "Businesses don't like raised medians, but there is no evidence that raised medians hurt businesses."

Business representatives disagreed.

"The placement of medians in Kirby will significantly affect the flow of traffic in and out of countless businesses and will be an extraordinary change to a dense urban thoroughfare," said Julie Tysor of Appelt Properties. "Your analysis did not consider both sides of this issue."

Full Chronicle article.

I agree that Kirby is a dangerous road between Sanfelipe and Bissonet. The lanes are narrow (the minimal accepted 10 feet) and can affect how drivers react. I travel down this road everyday and wish there was a solution. The current right-of-way is used to its maximum. Any median solution would remove room for cars. To make a left turn you would have to back traffic up on the inside lane. And turning lanes won't help unless they are extremely long.

I would extend beyond Bissonet.. say to University Blvd but I suppose that would reduce that stretch to single lane each way.. unacceptable I'm sure.

I hope they bury electrical lines while they have it torn up.

You think Houston's restaurant is worried about losing business? That place does crazy numbers.... I havent been in over a year because I refuse to use the park and ride to get a meal. (I'm serious.. they come to get you with a golf cart cause its just that big)

Business usually hate medians because it eliminate the left movents in many places and only allows it in others. This can turn potential customers away it is to much of a chore to get to the place of business.

Houston can't build south of bissonet because that is under the jurisdiction of West University. They will have to pick up with the expense of reconstruction. Any median in kirby would probably have to be similar to westheimer. Because every business will plead for a left turn lane and some will get and others won't. There wouldn't be enough room for landscaping in the center. And what room they would have probably would be enough.

I don't really buy the notion that medians are bad for business. If I want to go somewhere, I'll get there. We're Houstonians. We know how to drive through and around traffic to get to our destination. If your business is worth getting to, customers will get there. This is nothing compared to the problems dealt with the construction on the Main Street rail line.

I agree that business can survive a median. It's a perception issue. Most businesses really don't want anything to happen. The construction phase is the worst part to them. A median and a complete rebuild project is much worst to endure than just a resurfacing with asphalt.

I'm all for the medians... and I'm tired of the belly-aching about how it will hurt businesses. Shut up, already! If these businesses had their way, Kirby would be 100% concrete - no differentiation between curbs, sidewalks, turn lanes... just a total free for all where you can turn into any business at any time. Enough of this poor planning, I say!

I lived in California where they strictly prohibited the number of curb cuts (for entrances into businesses) and are big believers in medians. Works great out there and the last time I checked businesses weren't dying on the vine. Kirby is a stellar location that traverses through some of the most demographically compelling areas of the city. More medians will not change that... and may even make it a safer and more desirable location for a business. The Houston business community could stand to open up their eyes and learn a few things (and close their mouths!).

Most people do not like change but they will adjust in time. The only thing that I do not like is that some of the business may lose a little of their parking to the expansion and put some closer to the road but it will still be a good thing in the end.

I'm all for the medians... and I'm tired of the belly-aching about how it will hurt businesses. Shut up, already! If these businesses had their way, Kirby would be 100% concrete - no differentiation between curbs, sidewalks, turn lanes... just a total free for all where you can turn into any business at any time. Enough of this poor planning, I say!

I lived in California where they strictly prohibited the number of curb cuts (for entrances into businesses) and are big believers in medians. Works great out there and the last time I checked businesses weren't dying on the vine. Kirby is a stellar location that traverses through some of the most demographically compelling areas of the city. More medians will not change that... and may even make it a safer and more desirable location for a business. The Houston business community could stand to open up their eyes and learn a few things (and close their mouths!).

If the medians were built, along with a real sidewalk, Kirby could become a pedestrian corridor. If that happened, it would obviate the need for more curb cuts, turn lanes, etc. I personally think a rail line would be great down kirby provided a few changes were made.

Pedestrian traffic would be great, but no business would allow someone to park for several hours while they only spend a little time in their establishment and go off to other shops. That's why some business have parking spaces that are labled for their customers only.

A rail probably won't be built by Metro because the current bus usage isn't high enough to justify rail. If you look at most if not all of the proposed rail alignments, they go into areas that have high Metro bus usage. Some alignments are also placed to intersect many current bus routes to supplement them. The current rail line is doing just that. Many east-west bus routes don't have to go into downtown and crowd the streets. They can drop off passengers at or near a rail station and it will take them for their final journey.

The beauty of the median and the rebuild in general will be the beautification and the benifit of an upgraded storm sewers. I don't think medians will work where Kirby is six lanes because the currently lane size is at a minimum. Unless they widen the right-of-way, but in several areas it is right up against current buildings like just north of US 59.

Yeah the 18 bus on Kirby is not by any means one of Metro's most used routes. It operates exclusively with the smallest buses in the fleet and Sunday service was recently eliminated. Kirby is one of those streets where there's just enough bus use to justify a route during the week but no where near enough to justify a rail line.

As for the number of driveways, some businesses have three or four curb cuts for one small business! That is overkill and a big part of the safety problem. Cutting down on the number of driveways would help tremendously.

• 2 years later...

Seems fairly lame. The last thing that I think of when I think of Kirby Drive is All-Star.

Also interesting to note that they only intend to do this between Westheimer and Holcombe. What about down towards Reliant where the streetscape needs more help and the obviously cheesy sports theme would make a helluva lot more sense?

Seems fairly lame. The last thing that I think of when I think of Kirby Drive is All-Star.

Also interesting to note that they only intend to do this between Westheimer and Holcombe. What about down towards Reliant where the streetscape needs more help and the obviously cheesy sports theme would make a helluva lot more sense?

lame is right. i know several cities who've had these since the 90's and are having quite a bit of problems maintenance-wise now. even some of the cotswald project's pavers are already sinking big time. i think long term, cities are going to end up going back to concrete.

While I think the "All-Stars" theme is a bit lame, I'm thinking that might be primarily a marketing scheme to raise funds for the project.

The proposed project itself looks great. There is no sports theme whatsoever, which makes me wonder if some of you critics even looked at their website.

Archived