Senator Larry Craig

HtownWxBoy

Another gay sex scandal among the social conservatives... I don't know how to feel....

As a 27 year old gay man who struggled for 20 years in accepting the fact that I was born gay... I am torn on how I should be feeling. One part of me is so happy to see another socially conservative, "moral-life" preaching hypocrite fall from grace... one down... many more to go. On the other hand, if Larry Craig is in fact gay and if he really was looking to hook up w/ other guys while being married to a woman, I really feel bad for him. I am angry that, because of our society, the first 19 years of my life were spent "acting" like I was straight... just so I would fit in and not risk being harmed physically or in any other way... say, being kicked out of my home by my family and forced to live on the streets. I am not saying my family would have done that... but that unfortunately does happen to some younger individuals. I truly feel like I didn't get to start living my real life until I was able to look in the mirror and say "I am gay"... and be OK w/ that. I can't imagine being in my 50s or 60s and still feeling forced to live a lie. It's so sad that I feel like one of the lucky ones b/c I was able to "come out" early in my life.

In the end, I guess I really feel bad for him... that is if he is in fact gay and what they are saying he did or tried to do w/ other guys is in fact true. On one hand he's the enemy (social conservative championing to keep me from having equal rights)... but at the same time, if he is gay, he's family, and he's probably struggling in ways most people will never experience. I was born gay, and I am glad that I was able to accept that earlier in my life... and now I am happy, in a committed, healthy relationship, and basically living the American dream.. at least what I consider the American Dream.

Here's a strait independent thinking man's take on this event.

#1 The news media loves sex scandals because they are sexual deviant's themselves.

#2 If you are a hypocrite you will get busted for not being yourself.

#3 Just keep being yourself and don't worry about it.

On the one hand, I am incredulous that this guy was arrested for lewd behavior for tapping his foot in a bathroom stall. In any event, whether a person is gay or straight, it's their own personal business.

On the other hand, I do get a sense of satisfaction over all these Republican lawmakers who have fought the hardest against gay marriage, and spoken loudest against homosexual behaviors, being outed in public. It's hypocrisy at its finest.

On the one hand, I am incredulous that this guy was arrested for lewd behavior for tapping his foot in a bathroom stall. In any event, whether a person is gay or straight, it's their own personal business.

On the other hand, I do get a sense of satisfaction over all these Republican lawmakers who have fought the hardest against gay marriage, and spoken loudest against homosexual behaviors, being outed in public. It's hypocrisy at its finest.

Gay or straight, attempting to make a glory hole hook-up in an airport restroom is not exactly Senatorial behavior. He's already pled guilty to being a freak.

I don't really understand exactly what he did. None of the articles make it clear!

Do they have undercover cops hanging out in bathrooms trying to bust gay guys or something? Was it just a freak coincidence that the cop was there when he did... whatever he did? How do you get arrested in a bathroom anyways?

#1 The news media loves sex scandals because they are sexual deviant's themselves.

I'm not sure what you mean by saying they are "sexual deviant's themselves". I think the news media loves scandals of all kinds because that's what attracts viewers / readers. Especially sex scandals.

Do they have undercover cops hanging out in bathrooms trying to bust gay guys or something? Was it just a freak coincidence that the cop was there when he did... whatever he did? How do you get arrested in a bathroom anyways?

I think they had plain clothes officers in that bathroom because there had been a lot of complaints about the behavior in there.

Oy vey. :rolleyes:

Are you Jewish? nevermind I did not know what that word meant.

I'm not sure what you mean by saying they are "sexual deviant's themselves". I think the news media loves scandals of all kinds because that's what attracts viewers / readers. Especially sex scandals.

A lot of them are and some get caught.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-sa...=la-home-center

Public restrooms are frequently patrolled by under-cover officers because of scenarios like this..." Mommy, I gotta GO!!!" Billy is too old to go into the Ladies room between flights and mommy can't go into the men's room to keep an eye out on Senator Wide Stance. So suspect restrooms are regularly survieled to cut back on the occasional closeted gay Senator, Congressman or Meth Preacher hitting on Billy. So no, the under-cover cops aren't deviants. The Senator who claims to be straight and publicly bashes gays to get re-elected while cruising for gay sex in public restrooms is the deviant. Someone the other day told me the guy was really straight and just got caught...I had to stop him and ask, so he's just a straight guy soliciting men for sex and that's not gay? Huh?

I remember I seen the foot tapping in a restroom in Kansas City about 10 years ago but did not think anything about it. now I feel violated.

Probably meant nothing unless there was a prolonged peeking preceding the foot tapping and some major under-stall hand wave after it? :lol:

Now he's says he might fight it.

BOISE, Idaho (AP) - One of Sen. Larry Craig's lawyers said Wednesday the Senate has no business looking into the conduct of one of its own following Craig's guilty plea in connection with an airport men's room sex sting.

An unbroken line of precedents dating back 220 years makes clear the Senate does not consider misdemeanor private conduct to be a fit subject of inquiry, asserted Washington attorney Stan Brand.

"We ought to seek to have the committee dismiss this outright," Brand said of a Senate ethics panel's investigation. "The Republican leadership called for an ethics investigation that had nothing to do with his office," said Brand on NBC's "Today" show.

Craig says he may still fight for his Senate seat, a spokesman says - if the lawmaker can clear his name with the Senate ethics panel and a Minnesota court.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070905/D8RFB0UO0.html

He already leaked that he WOULD fight, after being urged by Sen. Arlen Specter to do so. Sen. Craig, says there are Senators willing to back him up now, so he feels he must fight.

I actually see it as a ploy buy some Senate Reps. as a way to turn the finger pointing to the Dems. that THEY are in fact intolerant of homosexual behavior. I believe it will be an "Even if Sen. Craig IS gay, WHAT does it matter ? Aren't you Dems. supposed to be the voice for gay rights ?" type of forum. It will be sickening to watch if this does come to fruition

He already leaked that he WOULD fight, after being urged by Sen. Arlen Specter to do so. Sen. Craig, says there are Senators willing to back him up now, so he feels he must fight.

I actually see it as a ploy buy some Senate Reps. as a way to turn the finger pointing to the Dems. that THEY are in fact intolerant of homosexual behavior. I believe it will be an "Even if Sen. Craig IS gay, WHAT does it matter ? Aren't you Dems. supposed to be the voice for gay rights ?" type of forum. It will be sickening to watch if this does come to fruition

This is the same strategy that the drunken Kennedy used when he ran into the barricade.

Here's my two cents;

He isn't gay. He is married and lives life as a perceived straight fella. He may be a latent homosexual, but that is very different than being gay in my book. Being gay means you come out and lose the shame that forces you to do stupid things like cruise airport restrooms for anonymous sex.

Not sure how they would accomplish this. The Dem's, rightfully so, have kept pretty quiet on this. Generally not saying Craig should stay or go. Pretty much standing back and letting the GOP eat their own. Anyway, the GOP or Democrats shouldn't have a say. The Idaho (no jokes about Craig putting the HO back in Idaho) voters should ultimately decide his fate.

Not sure what you mean by this. The Dem's, rightfully so, have kept pretty quiet on this. Generally not saying Craig should stay or go. Pretty much standing back and letting the GOP eat their own. Anyway, the GOP or Democrats shouldn't have a say. The Idaho (no jokes about Craig putting the HO back in Idaho) voters should ultimately decide his fate.

Your right, the Dem. presidential hopefuls haven't peeped one bit, YET. What I am saying is that if Craig stays and fights, I can assure you that Clinton or Obama or whoever the Dems. hold up, WILL be asked over and over again, what THEIR stance is on this. Who knows, Hillary may not be able to control herself and blurt out something before she is asked. Don't you find it rather odd though, that the media ISN'T asking how the Dem. hopefuls feel about the situation, if this "scandal" is that big of an issue ?

btw, I totally agree with you that it is up for to the state he represents to decide if they want to keep him or not.

Not sure how they would accomplish this. The Dem's, rightfully so, have kept pretty quiet on this. Generally not saying Craig should stay or go. Pretty much standing back and letting the GOP eat their own. Anyway, the GOP or Democrats shouldn't have a say. The Idaho (no jokes about Craig putting the HO back in Idaho) voters should ultimately decide his fate.

The GOP could not blame the Dems for this if they tried. They haven't uttered a word. They are just sitting back and enjoying the manna falling from heaven. And, as if having one of your most anti-gay members caught in a public restroom trolling for male sex is not bad enough, Craig is now guaranteeing that the matter will stay in the headlines for the entire month of September. His message left on a wrong number did not help matters either. And, just to rub salt in the wound, the Craig scandal has brought the David Vitter matter back to the fore, since no Republicans demanded that a prostitute visiting Senator resign, only the gay sex Senator.

All of this with a failed military invasion that the president seems hellbent on continuing until the next president takes office, and the big business Republicans fighting the close-the-border Republicans on the immigration issue. I cannot imagine how things could get worse for the GOP....

As for Dem presidential hopefuls, a short answer that this is between Senator Craig and the GOP will suffice. I doubt they would say anything else.

Your right, the Dem. presidential hopefuls haven't peeped one bit, YET. What I am saying is that if Craig stays and fights, I can assure you that Clinton or Obama or whoever the Dems. hold up, WILL be asked over and over again, what THEIR stance is on this. Who knows, Hillary may not be able to control herself and blurt out something before she is asked. Don't you find it rather odd though, that the media ISN'T asking how the Dem. hopefuls feel about the situation, if this "scandal" is that big of an issue ?

btw, I totally agree with you that it is up for to the state he represents to decide if they want to keep him or not.

When the question comes up Clinton and Obama will be well schooled with the correct answers. They haven't been asked yet because who cares what they think. No one should care what the GOP thinks either but since they are of the same party there is some interest there. The GOP will probably push even harder to get rid of Craig now. The only chance they have of losing that seat is with Craig sitting in it. There is no "moral outrage" in their attempts to get rid of Craig, it is all political.

You can watch the Republican pundits all day try to spin this away from Craig and toward the Democrats. The next time McConnell is on the news note the permanent look of panic etched on his face. It's a far more telling sign than some lame diversion tactic employed by an amateur Republican Senator caught with his pants down in a public restroom. It is truly the gift that keeps on giving. As with the pedophile Foley, why would the Democrats raise a peep when the Republicans are so adept at destroying themselves? It's a time-proven winning strategy. Now I'm going to go watch Thompson make an ass of himself on Leno..."Security Unity Prosperity"...'SUP, dude?

Here's my two cents;

He isn't gay. He is married and lives life as a perceived straight fella. He may be a latent homosexual, but that is very different than being gay in my book. Being gay means you come out and lose the shame that forces you to do stupid things like cruise airport restrooms for anonymous sex.

So what about all the homosexuals who cruise Club Houston, Venture Inn and all the other nasty places on that certain Web site that gay men surf?

Does that make them homo-latent?

So what about all the homosexuals who cruise Club Houston, Venture Inn and all the other nasty places on that certain Web site that gay men surf?

Does that make them homo-latent?

That's what you call a Lib trying to distance him self from the debate. Lets talk about Barney Frank...

Archived