Exhibit Of Complete Works Of Erich Mendelsohn On display At University of Houston

I figure this might excite some of you architect types...

einstein_tower.jpg

NEWS RELEASE

Office of University Communication

Houston, TX 77204-5017 Fax: 713.743.8199

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

August 20, 2007

713.743.8152 (office)

713.204.9798 (cell)

mrcannon@uh.edu

EXHIBIT OF COMPLETE WORKS FROM NOTED ARCHITECT ERICH MENDELSOHN MAKES ONLY U.S. STOP AT UH DURING WORLD TOUR

Preliminary sketches, designs, photos and rare models from the man considered one of the most important German architects of the 20th century will be on view at the University of Houston Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture.

The exhibit

I figure this might excite some of you architect types...

einstein_tower.jpg

NEWS RELEASE

Office of University Communication

Houston, TX 77204-5017 Fax: 713.743.8199

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

August 20, 2007

713.743.8152 (office)

713.204.9798 (cell)

mrcannon@uh.edu

EXHIBIT OF COMPLETE WORKS FROM NOTED ARCHITECT ERICH MENDELSOHN MAKES ONLY U.S. STOP AT UH DURING WORLD TOUR

Preliminary sketches, designs, photos and rare models from the man considered one of the most important German architects of the 20th century will be on view at the University of Houston Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture.

The exhibit "Erich Mendelsohn: Dynamics and Function, Realized Visions of a Cosmopolitan Architect" is touring the world and making its only U.S. stop at the college Sept. 7 through Oct. 11. The exhibit is free and open to the public.

"Because of its fluid forms, Mendelsohn's work is an important precedent to architectural trends today, made possible through advanced computing. Our college is proud and honored to host this important and timely exhibit," said Joe Mashburn, dean of the College of Architecture.

Mendelsohn, considered avant-garde in his time, is generally known for his curved exteriors and unique view of architecture. For example, the Einstein Tower (Potsdam, Germany, 1919), an astrophysical laboratory, was constructed for astronomer Erwin Finlay Freundlich to support experiments and observations to validate Albert Einstein's relativity theory. Futuristic for its time, the "organic" structure featured an elongated top, a smooth surface and curved edges

THANKS alot for this info.MYdad was a architect.Our family Sunday drives consisited of going to check out the latest building going up I go to Houston alot for business and family and friends. Advance knowlege of this exhibit helps out alot.I TRY to plan business trips around alot of fun stuff.MY dad would have loved this forum

• The title was changed to Exhibit Of Complete Works Of Erich Mendelsohn On display At University of Houston

Archived