Sign in to follow this  
talltexan83

Richmond Landing - Richmond and Garrot

Is it just me or is the parking structure taller than the actual building?

post-3613-0-64954000-1367700276_thumb.jp

I think I've seen others the same way

I feel bad for the people who will have a view of the spur overpass.

Why? 

Chillin' out and laughing at people who are commuting home in Sugarland can be an excellent past time while you're at home already.

• Like 1

I feel bad for the people who will have a view of Sears.

Sears won't be there in 2 years - mark my words.

The Spur from that location moves it's 59 that's the parking lot.

Not hating on this development - good for the neighborhood overall.

Sears won't be there in 2 years - mark my words.

The Spur from that location moves it's 59 that's the parking lot.

Not hating on this development - good for the neighborhood overall.

I agree. That entire block that where Sears and that abandoned building sit will be gone soon. This area is going to be a nice dense pocket of residential.

I agree that it's great for the hood. I walk to Wheeler station along richmond a few days a week and it will be great having more life/activity in the area. I just realized how close some of the windows will be to the spur, and walking under that overpass every day I know how nasty it is under there. As you can see, some of my photos are taken from under the spur.

I wouldn't feel safe in the lower unit. way too close to the street. wouldn't take much for a car to jump the curb and land in your living room.

Jax, there is another apartment building (or two) going up west of here, maybe half a mile that I saw the other day. Do you ever go that way? Do we have threads on them?

There are threads for the other apartment near Richmond and Montrose, as well as the new Campanile office building also on Richmond near Montrose.

You gotta be kidding me, this apartment building was looking great, then they covered it up with THAT?

That siding looks like baby flurf.

• Like 1

Good lord. There has to be some city building code that forces these developers to choose the most boring color schemes / designs. I swear when I was in austin last weekend EVERY new complex incorporated stone and wood and had a very modern feel... It's a struggle to find anything that isn't beige stucco or brick.

You gotta be kidding me, this apartment building was looking great, then they covered it up with THAT?

That siding looks like baby flurf.

This one looks like mustard colored crap when driving down the Spur

The mustard is pretty true to the rendering; it should be toned down a bit when they put in the contrasting brick on the lower half. I'm more concerned that they put that weird flat facade on half of it, and it's not even the half that would cover up the parking garage sticking out of the roof. What's up with that?

Good lord. There has to be some city building code that forces these developers to choose the most boring color schemes / designs. I swear when I was in austin last weekend EVERY new complex incorporated stone and wood and had a very modern feel... It's a struggle to find anything that isn't beige stucco or brick.

Stone in Houston would just come across as ripping off Austin's style. It's completely inappropriate. 

I don't the problem is with the materials per se; it's more with the detailing and grab bag faux historicness. At least this thing doesnt have any turrets.

wow, this might even top Hanover West Gray's cheapness.  Seriously, hardie-plank for the entire building?  And what's up with the mustard paint?  Were they all out of teal colored paint or something?

Stone in Houston would just come across as ripping off Austin's style. It's completely inappropriate. 

I don't the problem is with the materials per se; it's more with the detailing and grab bag faux historicness. At least this thing doesnt have any turrets.

I don't think austin has cornered the market on using stone as an architectural accent.

• Like 3

wow, this might even top Hanover West Gray's cheapness. Seriously, hardie-plank for the entire building? And what's up with the mustard paint? Were they all out of teal colored paint or something?

I believe that style of siding is called "Return On Investment".

• Like 2

Brooklyn Athletic Club across the street posted this pic on their Facebook. 

post-4998-0-20867600-1374192444_thumb.jp

Edited by jayshoota
  • Like 3

For those of us who hate the ugly mustard siding, I just snapped this pic. The first 3 floors will be covered in brick, as high up as the Tyvek insulation goes. Yay?

post-9042-0-61034600-1376688065_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Well before we say yay, lets just see how it looks when it's finished.

Edited by TowerSpotter
  • Like 1

Pictures from this evening:

post-12156-0-95338300-1378095020_thumb.j

post-12156-0-94305500-1378095112_thumb.j

The red/orange brick seems to be balancing out the mustard a little. I'm still not sold on the bottom level of large tan bricks; They look more suitable for a soil retention wall.

• Like 3

I definitely don't prefer the empty lot, but it could have been better...

It's not an amazing location right next to the spur. At least the spur isn't incredibly high traffic like 59 but it is pretty ugly. I'm just glad we got something on this lot. It'll make walking along richmond to wheeler station a bit nicer with the updated sidewalks, and actual people being there. It will probably make the area a bit safer too.

• Like 2

I noticed that the nails/screws holding the white trim in place haven't been puttied or painted over. Is it crazy to hold out hope they will be painting them some other color? I can't picture a color that would tie together the mustard, brick, and tan, but damn, something has to change.

It is nice when architecture is a "good neighbor" but if I was paying rent (subsidized or not) to live in an apartment I would care more about how it looked on the inside than the outside.

Several residential buildings along Park Ave. in New York look very plain on the outside but are quite opulent inside.

• Like 1

Pardon, but I am new to Houston... and before I dismiss this as just another blase' project... what is the location of this thing? Thanks in advance.