Post 510: Multifamily At 510 Richmond Ave.

talltexan83

so does anyone have any ideas of what's going on here lately? there's what looks like a very long pvc pipe about a foot in diameter going across the entire property from the sw corner to the ne corner. and this morning someone dumped a dozen or so more pvc pipes of the same diameter but smaller in length in the ne corner. i was told this project wouldn't be started until later in 09, but could they be starting it already? Or do you think these might belong to the city, who are just using the property to store their stuff before they use it? there's also a bulldozer and some other sort of machine on the ne corner of the property.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are pipes blue in color? If they are, that's for water lines. Could be rehab on nearby streets and internal to the development.

If the pipes are white or black, they can be used for storm or sanitary sewer flows.

Are pipes blue in color? If they are, that's for water lines. Could be rehab on nearby streets and internal to the development.

If the pipes are white or black, they can be used for storm or sanitary sewer flows.

they're white. i asked the worker this morning if they were finally starting this development, and he said yes, but, on second thought, he may not have known what i meant. there is work going on on the surrounding sewer system.

• 1 year later...

Just a bump for this thread. Another HAIFer mentioned that seeing the vacant land formerly occupied by Wilshire VIllage was a bit depressing.

There were several viable structures which were demolished on this site for a project that has yet to be realized. Another ugly vacant lot, due to the short-sighted greed of incompetent speculators.

Discuss.

There were several viable structures which were demolished on this site for a project that has yet to be realized. Another ugly vacant lot, due to the short-sighted greed of incompetent speculators.

Discuss.

The same motives as led these investors to take on an ill-fated project entailing a demo/rebuild were behind my own ill-fated project entailing adaptive reuse. The structures that were erased from this site would never even have existed without such motives.

I have little sympathy with your vindictive tone. The investors here are as human as you or I.

No; they had tenants.

It's not like this city has an apartment shortage. If anything, this land is more attractive to developers now that there aren't any destruction costs.

I never understood why so many Houstonians get worked up over some 1950s or 1960s apartment complexes that are torn down for something new. Most of these aren't architecturally significant and for the most part they are dumps.

It's not like this city has an apartment shortage. If anything, this land is more attractive to developers now that there aren't any destruction costs.

I never understood why so many Houstonians get worked up over some 1950s or 1960s apartment complexes that are torn down for something new. Most of these aren't architecturally significant and for the most part they are dumps.

Several of the properties on this lot were very nice early 20th century houses which contributed to the historic feel of the neighborhood. The less architecturally significant muli-unit dwellings were part of the dwindling stock of afforable apartments in the Montrose area.

Forgive me if I don't get on my knees and join those who live their lives to kiss developers' asses. How about a little consideration for the people who, you know, live here?

The problem was that when the developer just had lousy timing and the economy tanked on them, and they aren't the only ones that suffered for it.

I don't think it would make good greenspace, the homeless nearby WOULD take that over. You have to remember, that it is a relatively isolated part of the Montrose, even though it's right on Richmond.

They keep the grass mowed & most residents use it as a dog park. Have you seen the other side of the Spur behind the Shipley's donuts?

It's a shame about the lack of affordable housing in Montrose but that's just the shadow of the beast.

They keep the grass mowed & most residents use it as a dog park. Have you seen the other side of the Spur behind the Shipley's donuts?

It's a shame about the lack of affordable housing in Montrose but that's just the shadow of the beast.

Truly. I'm looking for something in the montrose right now and the ones that I like are either too expensive or taken. Who would have thought montrose apts actually have a waiting list.

• 2 months later...

The problem was that when the developer just had lousy timing and the economy tanked on them, and they aren't the only ones that suffered for it.

I see your point. Really do. And that's why I keep coming back to this forum.

On one hand, I'm disgusted and disturbed that viable living spaces were obliterated. This is something more than a game of Monopoly; when historic houses and peoples residences were obliterated, friends were displaced; a vital part of the neighborhood is now a vacant lot. Someone's good intentions didn't come true.

On the other, the destruction was necessary to procure further investment.

Isn't there some way that we could configure development, where we're assured that The Financing Has Come Through, before we tear down what's already working (however feebly)?

The vacant lot isn't as productive as it was before the abortive attempt at development. Sorry things didn't work out. And now we all pay the price.

• 7 months later...

This is the last I've heard and it was back in April.

<P class=yiv1683509598MsoNormal>Dear neighbors/local community leaders -- I want to advise you about a nearby situation that could have an impact on our area. <P class=yiv1683509598MsoNormal> <P class=yiv1683509598MsoNormal>Probably, most of you are generally familiar the former Days Inn facility at the corner of Main Street and Blodgett (by the elevated portion of the Southwest Freeway). Several years ago, US Vets, Inc. (a company based in California) purchased and converted the former Days Inn facility (286 units) into a homeless veteran’s facility. However, you may not be aware that US Vets is proposing additional homeless veterans’ facilities – the Light Rail Lofts at Midtown Terrace (114 units) and Travis Street Plaza expansion (192 units) – adjacent to the existing facility. <P class=yiv1683509598MsoNormal> The Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs (TDHCA) conducted a public hearing earlier this month on Tuesday, April 5, 2011, on this project. Although the public hearing was conducted earlier this month, the TDHCA is taking comments until their July meeting. <P class=yiv1683509598MsoNormal> I have spoken with a number of you, most of whom had been unaware of the hearing or this development. I understand that notice of the hearing to have been given to the Main Street Neighborhood Association (a homeowners association which is basically bordered by Main, Highway 59, Spur 527 and Richmond, and which only includes the former Days Inn facility) and the Midtown Management District. There may have been no notice or other consideration given to those of us outside the immediate area (particularly potentially impacted stakeholders in the Museum District just south of Highway 59 or in the Montrose/Museum District just west of the Spur). I am certain that, like me, you are sympathetic to the plight of homeless vets and their need for shelter and social services. However, a concern has been voiced about the proposed concentration of homeless vets at this nearby facility and its potential impact on the surrounding area.

This is the last I've heard and it was back in April.

blah..blah..blah.... However, a concern has been voiced about the proposed concentration of homeless vets at this nearby facility and its potential impact on the surrounding area.

I was wondering what that variance sign was about, but I flew by it too quickly to get more than a glance.

So this is going to be a new shelter for Homeless veterans?

Considering all you did was a rough cut and paste, you're not entirely opposed to this and merely want to let us know about the topic?

The homeless facility is not expanding to the Richmond Landing lot is it? It sounds like that's a different lot entirely. I have mixed feelings about the homeless vets expansion thing.

• 1 month later...

so the past two days terracon and a drilling truck have been on the lot drilling in a number (at least three) locations getting, what i'm assuming are, soil samples. i'm not familiar with a lot of this stuff, but is this site preparation by post or another entity, or could this be something else?

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

so bart french from post properties just spoke with us. they want to break ground by the end of the first quarter 2012. Pretty much the same design. 242 units, 500 to 1200 sq ft. 5 stories. no retail. street level landscaping similar to the midtown property.

Hey, so in the future, you should either leak your tips to a reputable journalist or wait a few days before leaking it on HAIF (without any namedropping). You never know who reads these things, and some folks like to play it close to the vest. Gotta be careful.

• 1 month later...

Archived