Post 510: Multifamily At 510 Richmond Ave.

talltexan83

I noticed a variance request for a development called "Richmond Landing" yesterday. It appears to be pretty large; encompassing most of the block bordered by Jack, Colquitt, Richmond and Garrott. I always thought that was a great piece of land with easy access to 59-N and the light rail. Anyone know what this "Richmond Landing" is all about?

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what exactly is a public hearing on a variance? I see signs for this all the time but I still don't quite understand the system here in Texas...

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what exactly is a public hearing on a variance? I see signs for this all the time but I still don't quite understand the system here in Texas...

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/Developm...andDev_Faqs.htm

Variances

Planning Commission does have discretionary authority if a plat requires a variance or special exception. Residents in the city limits that are within 250 feet of the proposed development will be notified of certain variances and have a chance to offer input on how the variance will affect their neighborhood or property. A variance is a deviation from the strict compliance of the rules and regulations of Chapter 42. The applicant must document a reasonable hardship for the variance. This usually means that applying the rules of Chapter 42 would make the land undevelopable without the variance.

and starting on page 2878 of Ch. 42: http://www.houstontx.gov/codes/codes42-2.pdf (yawn!)

It seems like a lot of midrises are going up along the proposed metro rail route on Richmond. I think this is the 3rd after the one at Dunlavy and Richmond and the one near Kirby and Richmond.

It seems like a lot of midrises are going up along the proposed metro rail route on Richmond. I think this is the 3rd after the one at Dunlavy and Richmond and the one near Kirby and Richmond.

There is also the other proposed development at Dunlavy/Richmond to replace the Wilshire Apartments...but there has been no word on that one in nearly 2 years! I personally keep waiting for something on it, which of course means it will never happen :)

I think the developer of the apartments already going up by La Tapatia actually stated that there would be another phase of that development if the rail passes that section. While I'm not necessarily a fan of the current rail plan, at least there should be plenty of density along the Richmond corridor to support both it and any businesses adversely affected...

This is more good news for Richmond. I don't know much about variance requests either, except that they seem to indicate the development is moving along quickly. Time will tell.

I enjoy the Post property in Midtown and hope this development continues along the same trend. Do you think a retail component is possible? I believe anything from a bar to restaurant to food market could be successful.

It's actually a pretty good location because you can walk to Wheeler station and at some point you would be able to go on either of the rail lines. It would be cool if it was mixed use too. Maybe this could start a trend of cleaning up some of the empty lots and abandoned buildings near Wheeler.

According to Sue Lovell (city councilor) yesterday at the light rail public hearing, over 2,700 living units have been built, are under construction, or are approved of ON (not adjacent to) Richmond Avenue along the rail line to Cummins over the past 2 years.

That is impressive! If only the original line would catch up. Musuem Place is a good start...

Cool!! There are so many mid rise buildings of this style going up around town. Does it by any chance have a mixed use component?

Looks pretty generic to me, but I guess it's more or less what I expected... Who on earth is living in all of these places, though? There seems to be a huge supply of new apartment units as of late

I guess people who move to Houston who don't want to live in the suburbs / aren't ready to by a house? I know graduate students love these places, as do post docs, doctors doing internships in the medical center, and newly graduated business people who don't have a family. Those are the types of people I know who live in similar places. Those types of people love to be near public transit and close to their jobs, especially those from other big cities who are used to that sort of lifestyle. Believe it or not, but the suburban commute is hard to get used to for some. Or even the city commute (since you can commute 30-45 minutes and still technically live in Houston).

That building looks like it's much bigger than the lot it's supposed to be on!

It should (along with a couple of other developments) be interesting when the U-line gets completed. With these structures going up, the U-line will be much more important.

I guess people who move to Houston who don't want to live in the suburbs / aren't ready to by a house? I know graduate students love these places, as do post docs, doctors doing internships in the medical center, and newly graduated business people who don't have a family. Those are the types of people I know who live in similar places. Those types of people love to be near public transit and close to their jobs, especially those from other big cities who are used to that sort of lifestyle. Believe it or not, but the suburban commute is hard to get used to for some. Or even the city commute (since you can commute 30-45 minutes and still technically live in Houston).

But aren't there already apartments for these people?? On top of that, there is a new influx of condos... Maybe there is more growth in professional employment than I thought - that, or this reverse influx from the 'burbs is a strong, continuing trend

Whatever the case, these new apartments will be a nice improvement to what's there now. I'm assuming this is that blank lot with the rough looking stuff in the back?

But aren't there already apartments for these people?? On top of that, there is a new influx of condos... Maybe there is more growth in professional employment than I thought - that, or this reverse influx from the 'burbs is a strong, continuing trend

Whatever the case, these new apartments will be a nice improvement to what's there now. I'm assuming this is that blank lot with the rough looking stuff in the back?

Houston area added 82,000 jobs in the past year. Most probably will add a similar number in the coming year. All those people have to live somewhere.

Houston led the country last year in new job creation.

I wonder what % of the new jobs were added within the loop? And added in downtown vs medical center vs greenway, etc. Does such data exist?

Even with all of this job growth, there still seems to be an abundance of new apartments coming online or planned IMO... Then again, I'd think the people building all of these units have a better idea about it than I do :) Regardless, I hope the net effect is that they wind up tearing down some of the older, ratty complexes in my neighborhood

Archived