Houston In The 1930s

Guest danax

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the drug store one. I have heard about that place but did nto realize that that was the actual building. It is not to far from my office. I guess I need to look closer at it the next time I drive by.

Thanks for sharing.

• 6 months later...
where on the east end is the houston lighting and power building?

It's on Leeland near....between Dowling and Scott I believe, in the Warehouse District. The townhouses will soon be close enough to hear the power lines sing.

• 4 weeks later...
Is the Terrazzo "R" still on the pavement just south of where the Delman Theater was? That once signified Roulande's photography studio.

I doubt it. When the theater was torn down they pretty much cleared the land. I could be wrong. Going through there tomorrow. I'll stop and look.

• 1 year later...

This is really neat. Good job! What hotel is in the photo of the woman holding the horse in the lobby? I couldn't tell. And where did you find this photo? It is the kind of thing that I would love to have enlarged massive and put up in my place.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LHfYXHUKN4Q

I harvested several vintage photos off the net, and came up with this.

NICE JOB DUDE ! I think you and Subdude should get together and collaborate on another using all of his postcards and such, I think Sev could contribute also with some "NOW" photos. You could do a then and now film.

Anyways, nicely done, and I have never heard that rendention of "Sentimental Journey". Sounds like it was out of a "Flint" movie fromt he 60's.

This is really neat. Good job! What hotel is in the photo of the woman holding the horse in the lobby? I couldn't tell. And where did you find this photo? It is the kind of thing that I would love to have enlarged massive and put up in my place.

It's of the Auditorium Hotel, now the Lancaster. I worked at the Alley Theatre during the mid 70s and went to the Auditorium for lunch once (ONCE!) It was quite rundown and occupied by men on fixed incomes i.e. winos as we called them back then.

I happen to walk by the hotel just after it opened as the Lancaster. On the side service door, someone had left a ring of keys in the door waiting for anyone walking by to snatch them. I did, and took them to the front desk. I was thinking that was all they needed, to have to replace every dang lock in the place.

I can't remember exactly where I found the photo, I googled my way to it. I put it on my web space and here the link.

http://www225.pair.com/dhart007/HotelAudit...mHorseLobby.jpg

Anyways, nicely done, and I have never heard that rendention of "Sentimental Journey". Sounds like it was out of a "Flint" movie fromt he 60's.

I hadn't either, I used the metacrawler search engine to hunt down versions of sentimental journey and came across something called Esquivel!

http://www.poindexters.com/index3.html?htt.../hotlinked.html

It was recorded back in 94, but amazon.com still carries it.

I hadn't either, I used the metacrawler search engine to hunt down versions of sentimental journey and came across something called Esquivel!

http://www.poindexters.com/index3.html?htt.../hotlinked.html

It was recorded back in 94, but amazon.com still carries it.

Well technically recorded in the late 1950s or early 1960s, but the Esquivel music was re-released in the 1990s. Yes, I have the CD. :blush:

Well technically recorded in the late 1950s or early 1960s, but the Esquivel music was re-released in the 1990s. Yes, I have the CD. :blush:

Wow, that impresses me. I thought it sounded very modern and was suprised that the CD was over a decade old, now you tell me the recording is over 40 years old. As you know, the brass portions get very loud, I had to turn the volume way down on those sections on the video, otherwise, I might have blown out a few hearing aids.

neat compilation - alot of those photos from Story Sloane's collection were taken by Calvin Wheat, who is someone that i would say rivaled Bob Bailey in houston photos (at least Wheat's photos are here in Houston, though...)

• 3 weeks later...
Wow, that impresses me. I thought it sounded very modern and was suprised that the CD was over a decade old, now you tell me the recording is over 40 years old. As you know, the brass portions get very loud, I had to turn the volume way down on those sections on the video, otherwise, I might have blown out a few hearing aids.

I have to commend you for your choice of Esquivel's music as well. I have several of his albums. Back when the studios would spend money to make records the artists would be backed by full orchestras. During the late 50's, when stereo was in its infancy, many experimented with it. in some instances, he would have half the orchesta in one studio and the other half in another studio so that true stereo separation could be achieved. He was also interested in "odd" instrumentation and vocalization which is characteristic of his trademark sound. just perfect for a lounge party!

I have to commend you for your choice of Esquivel's music as well.

I hadn't heard of Esquivel when I did an audio search of "Sentimental Journey." When I came across Esquivel's verision I thought it was a recent recording, until someone pointed out it was neary 50 years old.

Now I understand why the sound quality is so high, that's partly why I thought is was a recent recording.

• 2 months later...

Archived