Has anyone Tried HD Radio?

I actually had one, a Kenwood, in the Mustang I just sold, and I will be damned if I could make it work. I didn't buy it for the HD radio thing, it was just a feature on it, but it never worked for me, and I consider myself technologically advanced.

• 3 weeks later...

I have this HD radio in one of my cars:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-AvWEq6M16Du/c...asp?i=257KDHDR1

This one is the first model that came with built in HD as one compact unit. Alpine makes one that is about $800 for a similar radio. HD ready radios require an external tuner that is large and hard to hide in the dash of a car.

Honestly, HD radio is just a ploy to sell more products. The sound quality is not much better than a good FM radio gives you. They only edge you have with HD radio are multiple channel broadcasts on one frequency.

For example, KHMX has 2 broadcasts on their frequency. HD1 = the regular 96.5 broadcast while HD2 = more hip hop urban type of programing.

KLDE has 3 HD broadcasts. HD3 is a full time National Weather Service broadcast.

Usually, the HD2 and HD3 broadcasts have very few commercials is any at all. The programing they play is a bit different. Songs that are not so common on FM radio playlists are used more frequently.

I would not spend tons of money to buy an HD radio; just not worth it. The one I bought was just a toy for under $200. BTW, I find myself using my MP3 player 95% of the time even with HD radio in the car.

• 1 month later...
SO HD radio is similar to XM or Sirius, just free?

HD Radio is nothing like Sirius or XM.

It isn't worth it. For the same, if not less money for the equipment, you can get XM radio equipment. True, you pay for service, but it is well worth it. I haven't listened to FM or AM radio in years and I don't plan to ever again.

With XM I get dedicated channels for 60s music, 70s music, 80s music 90s music, top hits, mix channels, hip hop channels, tons of talk radio (I love talk radio, 165 is on most of the time) as well as multiple comedy channels. EVery professional game is on Satellite radio.

Satellite is the way to go (I greatly prefer XM to Sirius. I've had both and now I have two cars with XM and three other XM devices in my house).

HD Radio is nothing like Sirius or XM.

It isn't worth it. For the same, if not less money for the equipment, you can get XM radio equipment. True, you pay for service, but it is well worth it. I haven't listened to FM or AM radio in years and I don't plan to ever again.

With XM I get dedicated channels for 60s music, 70s music, 80s music 90s music, top hits, mix channels, hip hop channels, tons of talk radio (I love talk radio, 165 is on most of the time) as well as multiple comedy channels. EVery professional game is on Satellite radio.

Satellite is the way to go (I greatly prefer XM to Sirius. I've had both and now I have two cars with XM and three other XM devices in my house).

For what it's worth I listen to the poor man's radio. I download and then record my favorite podcasts to CD-ROM. That way I can listen to what EYE want to listen to and not have to deal with the awfulness of talk and commercial FM radio.

For what it's worth I listen to the poor man's radio. I download and then record my favorite podcasts to CD-ROM. That way I can listen to what EYE want to listen to and not have to deal with the awfulness of talk and commercial FM radio.

Yep, I'm tired of the commercials for HD radio, I wound up taking my XM Inno and broadcasting over the stereo. "Hi this is sheriff John bunnel!, Get an HD radio.." I love the way they mention "No FEES" Of course you get brainwashed with Gallery Furniture commercials. Plus when rita struck and we were in Laredo we listened to the traffic ch and found out when it was ok to come back.

You can get a satellite radio for as little as $29.99. $19.99 on sale sometimes.

The cheapest HD radio I've seen is $129.

HD is kind of like -- "If you like what you're already getting on regular radio, get more with HD Radio!"

Satellite is kind of -- "If you hate what you hear on radio, get something new and different with satellite!"

Archived