Crime In Pearland

12thManFan

But do you think it was a good idea to go at night to the mailbox?

Vigilance isn't about preventing crime, it's becoming aware of your surroundings so you don't get yourself into a situation that is quite unhealthy.

Going at night wasn't the best idea however bringing a second person with you helps to alleviate some concern in my eyes. there is always increased risk at certain times of the day. Unless one wants to live a sheltered life, sometimes you have to do things in the evening.

my 3 closest neighbors take their trash out in the evenings, but i wait til the morning. Would one question their vigilance?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would question their vigilance if they simply focus on the trash they take out and not their surroundings.

The thing is to REDUCE those risks, some are simply clueless.

I've known many people who live in the burbs that leave their doors unlocked, they leave their car doors unlocked, and such.

There are some that simply pay no mind to what they're doing and then have the audacity to act outrage when they ARE the victims of crime.

That's why one of the posters who wants to establish a crime watch irritated me, they form a watch, few people will volunteer and yet go back to their habits of careless behavior when it comes to their property and persons.

Crime can't always be prevented, but assessing the risks can help reduce the POTENTIAL of you being at risk.

I would question their vigilance if they simply focus on the trash they take out and not their surroundings.

The thing is to REDUCE those risks, some are simply clueless.

I've known many people who live in the burbs that leave their doors unlocked, they leave their car doors unlocked, and such.

There are some that simply pay no mind to what they're doing and then have the audacity to act outrage when they ARE the victims of crime.

Your theory of doing the task at night vs day as a reason for the attack is why i mentioned the trash can issue. for many, time is critical and tasks are performed as time permits. realistically, i have to do some things at night.

i agree that some are unaware. in this instance the posting doesn't seem to indicate whether they were. I agree reducing risk is most important but it doesn't guarantee success either. All of us should strive to remain vigilant, but there comes a point where the time exerted in this endeavor affects our daily lives in a negative manner.

And I agree that there are time constraints that reduce the ability to be flexible on when you're exposed.

But it all comes down to weighing the risks and not being self absorbed in your errands whether going to a parking lot at Target at 2pm or simply jogging in your suburban neighborhood at night EXPECTING it to be totally safe.

But I'm glad that you finally agreed with my statement.

But I'm glad that you finally agreed with my statement.

not sure what that statement is. LOL. i will agree that we should be vigilant but that doesn't necessarily prevent the crime. your statement implied they weren't vigilant because they checked their mail in the evening. i don't agree.

How is Metro and the City of Houston to blame for the crime in Pearland? Please elaborate.

I was being vey sarcastic. Every suburb from Sugarland to the Woodlands blames Houston and/or metro for increased crime. I figured its just Pearlands turn to blame their own crime and problems that they can't police or control on the Big Bad City.

13 is about to have another report on crime in pearland.

EDIT: the reported centered on the mail robbery and how the residents are coming together. a councilmember was interviewed and he said pearland is trying to hire more officers but the residents should become more involved. residents are considering hiring private security personnel.

Does anyone have the email address for the Angleton City and Shadow Creek HOA? I can't seem to find it.

I would like to email to the Pearland City, Angleton City and SCR HOA and voice my opinion as well. My husband and I have been living in SCR for almost 5 years now. We thought SCR was a good, safe place (away from the crowded city, yet within reach) to raise our children....until now. My husband's car (parked in our driveway) was also broken into but only various small items inside the car were stolen.

After reading the article with the pregnant lady almost got kidnapped in the Target complex, being pregnant myself, I now fear going to Wal-Mart and Target by myself. Even stopping my the mailbox after work give me chills.

so, if you have the contact info to Angleton City and SCR HOA or any other palce you think we should contact to voice our opinion....please post.

Does anyone have the email address for the Angleton City and Shadow Creek HOA? I can't seem to find it.

I would like to email to the Pearland City, Angleton City and SCR HOA and voice my opinion as well. My husband and I have been living in SCR for almost 5 years now. We thought SCR was a good, safe place (away from the crowded city, yet within reach) to raise our children....until now. My husband's car (parked in our driveway) was also broken into but only various small items inside the car were stolen.

After reading the article with the pregnant lady almost got kidnapped in the Target complex, being pregnant myself, I now fear going to Wal-Mart and Target by myself. Even stopping my the mailbox after work give me chills.

so, if you have the contact info to Angleton City and SCR HOA or any other palce you think we should contact to voice our opinion....please post.

Try Shadowcreek website---shadowcreekranch.net. Pick the site that has this: Shadowcreek Ranch-Houston. Once you open the website, bring your cursor all the way to the bottom so that you can access the "The Shadowcreek Ranch Maintenance Association page. Or you can call PCMI office with this number (281) 870 0585.

I emailed the SCR HOA contact last week and still no response. Our person is Tonya Jones at tjones@pcmi-us.com

Please post if you hear anything.

ABC 13 News reported a week after breaking the initial story about the assault and abduction in Island Manor in Shadow Creek Ranch that the residents had called a meeting and invited the SCR HOA to participate. According to ABC 13, the representative from the SCR HOA decided not to attend. I believe this meeting occurred on Sunday evening, August 19th.

To date we have heard concern only from the residents of SCR. Where is the SCR HOA? Where are the homebuilders? Where are the developers of the Town Centers and Waterlights District? Where is Pearland?

ABC 13 News reported a week after breaking the initial story about the assault and abduction in Island Manor in Shadow Creek Ranch that the residents had called a meeting and invited the SCR HOA to participate. According to ABC 13, the representative from the SCR HOA decided not to attend. I believe this meeting occurred on Sunday evening, August 19th.

To date we have heard concern only from the residents of SCR. Where is the SCR HOA? Where are the homebuilders? Where are the developers of the Town Centers and Waterlights District? Where is Pearland?

Worry not, you`ll hear from SCR HOA at the end of the year when it`s time to collect HOA fees. If you want it sooner, use your left over bricks to decorate your front yard, chances are you`ll receive a letter from them in the next 24-48 hours. That`s how fast they are.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, it looks like the crime wave has hit Shadow Creek Ranch again...

Read the story and see the video about how multiple cars in The Gables neighborhood were robbed recently: http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=local&id=5653590

We may just need to station armed guards around the community. Wonder what that will do to HOA fees?

Okay, I'm sorry, but if you have an area where people are leaving laptops, digital cameras, dvd players, etc in their car that are parked outside overnight, is it any wonder the thieves would strike that area? I have to wonder how many people left these things out in plain sight as well?

Armed guards? Come on now. Isn't a lot more practical and cost-effective to simply :

• put your stuff away
  • don't leave things in plain view in your vehicle, whether they are "valuable" or inconsequential
  • close your garage doors when you're not around your garage and front yard
  • lock your front door when you step away from your house
  • ...and so on

A little common sense goes a long way.

Meanwhile, in a apartment complex off South Main, one Mr. McCloud checks his mail at night with no problems whatsoever...people pay a lot of money thinking they're getting away from the big-city problems when all they do is bring them along.

At least they're out there spending that kind of money and not driving up prices even further in the Inner Loop...more power to them.

Armed guards? Come on now. Isn't a lot more practical and cost-effective to simply :
  • put your stuff away
  • don't leave things in plain view in your vehicle, whether they are "valuable" or inconsequential
  • close your garage doors when you're not around your garage and front yard
  • lock your front door when you step away from your house
  • ...and so on

A little common sense goes a long way.

I agree, that's why they make pull out car stereos.

This is indeed frightening. I have always believed that the safest place to store my laptop and camera was on the front seat of my truck parked on the street. I may have to rethink things.

You're doing it wrong. Put a couple $100 bills, a bottle of cognac and a diamond ring or two next to your camera/laptop bags. Then is no reason whatsoever for anyone to bother your vehicle or its contents.

Can SCRs somehow replace their HOA?

From what I've heard, you all pay around $500+ in HOA fees, that's MORE THAN ENOUGH, to hire at least one security guard per subdivision.

I plan on suggesting it. Especially if they can't even respond to simple inquiries or communicate neighborhood news.

SCR residents have several options here:

A) Demand more protection from their HOA

B) Get rid of their HOA and start protecting themselves

C) Replace their false sense of security with common sense, lock their doors and remove their crap from their vehicles

D) Sell out, move and start commuting from Rosharon or something (if they would rather live closer to a prison than a landfill)

I don't live in SCR, but if I did, a combination of *B* and *C* would be my choices...

Can SCRs somehow replace their HOA?

From what I've heard, you all pay around $500+ in HOA fees, that's MORE THAN ENOUGH, to hire at least one security guard per subdivision.

I live in a neighborhood in Pearland that has no pool, no playground and about all the HOA fees go to are common area maintainence and paying the management company and we pay a little over $200 a year. While $500 a year sounds like a lot when you add it all up, by the time you pay to mow everything, take care of all those lakes/retention ponds and take care of several pools and a community center you have nothing left for rent a cops. I'm not trying to justify it or sound mean its just the way it is. People should use common sense and take sensible precautions. I have friends that live in a suburb of Dallas and brag on how safe it is and how you don't even have to lock your doors. Well I guess to many others in the community braged as well and the city of Dallas sent some of their thugs out there way. After numerous break ins, car thefts and buglarys they started locking the doors. Any criminal will tell you they look for the easiest things to steal in the easiet way. Even the smallest deterent will send them to the next house.

I plan on suggesting it. Especially if they can't even respond to simple inquiries or communicate neighborhood news.

I get stuff from the SCR HOA in the mail all the time. Not to mention the school district, the City of Pearland, Keep Pearland Beautiful, and every other agency you can imagine. One day this week I received two SCR newsletters, the next day one City newsletter. I've lived all over the country, on both coasts and four different places in Texas, and I have never lived anywhere where I received so much "communication" from local authorities.

I've only had one occasion to call the SCR HOA management company since I moved here seven months ago, and they returned my call within a day. They seemed very professional, more helpful and accomodating for my needs than the city officials where I used to live.

Maybe it's just me, but my experience with SCR has been 100% positive. I have absolutely no complaints.

FWIW, my last home was in the East End of Galveston two blocks from downtown. Back there, I had trash, broken glass, bums, loud music, ultra-high taxes, and a historic district that was much more restictive and nit-picky than any HOA you will ever encounter. Now that I live here, I feel like I've died and gone to heaven. If SCR did not have its master plan and amenities and the HOA to enforce and maintain it, I wouldn't have moved here.

• 2 weeks later...
I get stuff from the SCR HOA in the mail all the time. Not to mention the school district, the City of Pearland, Keep Pearland Beautiful, and every other agency you can imagine. One day this week I received two SCR newsletters, the next day one City newsletter. I've lived all over the country, on both coasts and four different places in Texas, and I have never lived anywhere where I received so much "communication" from local authorities.

I've only had one occasion to call the SCR HOA management company since I moved here seven months ago, and they returned my call within a day. They seemed very professional, more helpful and accomodating for my needs than the city officials where I used to live.

Maybe it's just me, but my experience with SCR has been 100% positive. I have absolutely no complaints.

Maybe I should have you send my inquiries. I get responses to the simple stuff, but nothing regarding the crime and vandalism or shut down pools. Also, I get info from the school district and city, but nothing from the HOA. I've already complained a couple of times and even met one of our HOA partners face-to-face, but for some reason those community newsletters can't make it to my mail box. Just curious, did SCR do anything for National Night Out? My old neighborhood always had a big community party (HOA fees - $200/year).

Archived