Montrose Real Estate

Subdude

March 1, 2005, 9:49PM

Montrose remains hot growth area

But resale of townhomes hard to accomplish, Realtors say

By TOM MANNING

Chronicle Correspondent

The boom in construction of townhomes and condos in the Montrose area has created a buyer's market for those properties, while single-family residential and commercial properties in the area remain hot commodities, said Realtors who work in the neighborhood.

Single-family homes are selling at a faster rate than they were a year ago, said Lee Hudman, a Keller Williams Realtor who has worked inside the Loop for 20 years.

"The average number of homes is up and the average time it takes to sell them is down," Hudman said. "Interest rates are still low, so right now things are moving quickly.

We've had lots in East Montrose sell recently on Peden, Stanford and Willard. Single-family just doesn't last long inside the Loop."

Karen Derr of Karen Derr and Associates Realty agrees.

Derr said single-family homes in the 77006 ZIP code have an inventory of 5.1 months, easily a seller's market.

Inventory is measured by the amount of time it would take all of the properties for sale in an ZIP code to sell at the same rate they did the year before. Any area with under nine months of inventory, Derr said, signifies a seller's market.

"For comparison, West U. is at a little over three months, so (Montrose) is fairly comparable," Derr said. "There are clearly more buyers than sellers when it comes to single-family homes."

But the inventory for townhomes and high-rises place them in the seller's market category, Derr said, based on statistics from the Houston Association of Realtors.

"There's one segment that shows to be a buyer's market, and that's high-rises," she said. "There's more than 9 1/2 months of inventory, and almost two years of inventory on the multiple listing service."

Derr said townhomes are at 7.8 months of inventory citywide, "not a huge number."

Townhome glut

"It's the townhouses that are hard (to sell) right now," Hudman said. "There are just too many. That's been the big problem with re-sale. Why buy a used town home when you can get a good price on a new one because there are too many units and not enough buyers?"

Some 42,000 new homes were built in Houston in 2004, with 70 percent of them priced below $200,000. At its annual forecast luncheon held last month, the Greater Houston Builders Association projected that new home construction would hold steady in 2005 at between 40,000 and 42,000.

The number of townhomes, condos and patio homes built in the city is expected to rise in 2005, according to GHBA projections, although analysts warned that the market for those units is becoming oversaturated.

Hudman said part of the problem with townhomes are the nomadic nature of people who often buy them, as well as the need for builders to get the most out of their investment, considering the high price of property in the area.

"A lot of times what you get is urban professionals buying them, than they get transferred and they leave, and suddenly you've got a resale town home that doesn't garner as much interest," he said.

"New construction is mostly two- to three-story townhomes due to the high value of the lots," Derr said.

CitiPlex Corp. recently paid just over $48 per square foot for an 8,100-square-foot tract of land at the intersection of Stanford and Harold in east Montrose.

The company, which has built numerous apartment, town home and office buildings throughout the city, plans to build a five-unit townhome complex called Stanford Oaks on the property.

CitiPlex president Bob Sandman said the key to developing property in an area like Montrose is making sure new construction fits with the overall aesthetic of the community.

"This project is being designed in the craftsmen style that's the distinct style in Montrose," Sandman said. "The main thing we've done is design it so that it fits in the neighborhood. The key is to build something people want to live in, but also build something that the neighbors are going to be able to say adds to the overall feel of the community."

Stanford Oaks' units will be three stories and will have three bedrooms and 3 1/2 bathrooms, Sandman said. He said CitiPlex worked hard to ensure that their design plans included the preservation of nine live oak trees that surround the property.

"We designed the project to maintain those trees," he said, "because we knew that would be important to the neighborhood. This will not be a project that's just cranked out. We spent a lot of time on the design, because we want it to stand out."

Sandman, who expects ground to be broken on the townhome project "in 2 1/2 to three months," said units at Stanford Oaks will run in the mid-$300,000 range. He said that despite the increase in the number of townhomes going up in the area, Montrose remains a prime spot for both developers and buyers.

Young professionals

"We looked at a lot of lots and there just weren't many for sale in this area," he said. "A lot of people in this neighborhood buy homes and renovate them. But there's a group of young professionals who don't want to leave downtown, and that creates a demand for units like these."

Realtor Chip Hubbard, who handled the sale of the lot that will soon become Stanford Oaks, said nearby lots at 710 and 716 Harold that have been for sale for six months are also drawing interest from both developers and buyers who want to build their own homes on the properties.

"We've had quite a few people run at us with lowball offers," Hubbard said. "Right now we've got three people looking at it, two of them developers."

Even with the over-saturation of townhomes and condos in the area, Hudman said, Montrose remains one of the most enticing areas in the city for potential home buyers.

"Anything under $200,000 or $250,000 in Montrose is gone," he said. "The only thing you'll find available are homes that are going to have to be torn down."

Link to the Chronicle article

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest danax
CitiPlex Corp. recently paid just over $48 per square foot for an 8,100-square-foot tract of land at the intersection of Stanford and Harold in east Montrose.

That's $388,800 for a typical city lot that used to hold one small house. Amazing.

CitiPlex president Bob Sandman said the key to developing property in an area like Montrose is making sure new construction fits with the overall aesthetic of the community.

"This project is being designed in the craftsmen style that's the distinct style in Montrose," Sandman said. "The main thing we've done is design it so that it fits in the neighborhood. The key is to build something people want to live in, but also build something that the neighbors are going to be able to say adds to the overall feel of the community."

It's nice to see developers thinking like this. It sure makes for a more cohesive look and a smoother visual transition as opposed to the Rice Military area where the townhouses look nothing like the old homes still scattered around and the place looks like a war zone.

"We designed the project to maintain those trees," he said, "because we knew that would be important to the neighborhood. This will not be a project that's just cranked out. We spent a lot of time on the design, because we want it to stand out."

Developers know that buyers will put up with clear-cutting in the burbs but not inside the loop.Link to the Chronicle article

• 2 months later...

I'm sure it has something to do with the Art Car Parade coming up, but has anyone seen this house on Montrose (between West Gray and Westheimer, near California, I think) with the giant "hole" through it? It's obviously the work of some kind of artist, but it is so cool!

Just wondering if anyone had some more information on it or why it was done. I think the house is usually an art gallery of some kind.

If you live in the area, you should check it out. It's on the odd-numbered side of the street, and it's an older house. It's hard to miss if you're looking for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Residents in the Avondale area (Hyde Park and Crocker) are posting signs which say:

Welcome to Houston's Red Light District!

The Nation's only legal drug dealing & prostitution area!

Houston refuses to stop it - so it must be legal!

See ABC News Channel 13 report.

My question: will this embarrass city officials into stricter enforcement? or will the ironically challenged take these signs literally?

Guest danax
Residents in the Avondale area (Hyde Park and Crocker) are posting signs which say:

Welcome to Houston's Red Light District!

The Nation's only legal drug dealing & prostitution area!

Houston refuses to stop it - so it must be legal!

See ABC News Channel 13 report.

My question: will this embarrass city officials into stricter enforcement? or will the ironically challenged take these signs literally?

:lol: That's great. "....Please wait here for the next customer service representative". It's already working if it's on ch. 13.

Hell yeah! I wish it was true. Just like Mexico's Boy's Town.

You know, I have no idea what "Boy's Town" is. But the name alone seems to imply alot. I'm not judging you Houstonsemipro, but your desire for Houston to have the same as Mexico, in the regards to a "Boy's Town" (whatever it is?) doesn't seem like a good thing either.

That was a polite way of saying what I'm thinking...

Quote from the Channel 13 report:

When homeowner Adam Dirkmaat looks out his window, he usually doesn't like what he sees.

"Everyone that's walking through here is up to something other than living here," he asserted.

Hope I'm not reading too much into that statement. Is he saying that people who live 'here' never walk? If so, I think he's mistaken.

This area supports several bars, restaurants and small businesses - the very things that people who enjoy an urban environment hope for.

By no means am I condoning the prostitution, hustling and drug dealing. These are people who are there to exploit the neighborhood, not enjoy it or contribute to it. The issue becomes seperating the criminal element from those who are legitimately enjoying the neighborhood. One hopes that HPD will ensure that the officers assigned to address this problem will receive appropriate training.

If Mr. Dirkmaat's solution involves closing every bar and restaurant, and harrassing every pedestrian, then I too believe that he would be happier living elsewhere. If he's in favor of controlling a bad element in a lively neighborhood, then I'm 100% on his side.

That area is pretty bad. Lots of boys for rent. Most of them look highly "enhanced" all the time.

I try not to park around there when I go to South Beach. Hyde Park is the worst as it is very poorly lit. In fact, I know of several people of have been mugged on this street.

It is such a shame as this neighborhood has some great homes. For reference, Avondale proper is the neighborhood where all the gay bars are: JRs, South Beach, Montrose Mining Company, 611, Ripcord, and Cousins.

Hyde Park is one block South of Fairview. Fairview is the street the original Barnaby's is on.

Most of the hustlers seem to hang out by 611. HPD closed them down in the mornings for a while because of neighborhood complaints. The bar reopened raising its prices slightly to keep some of this crowd out.

• 1 month later...

Area residents seek solutions to prostitution, homelessness

Flier accuses service providers of enabling youths to stay on streets in Montrose

By TOM MANNING

Chronicle Correspondent

A meeting designed to find solutions about the growing problem of homeless youths in the Montrose area drew some 300 residents, community activists and service providers last week to the Metropolitan Multi-Service Center, 1475 W. Gray.

District D City Councilwoman Ada Edwards called the meeting after she met with several Montrose-area civic associations, whose members have been complaining about the increase in drug dealing, prostitution and loitering by the homeless on neighborhood streets.

Some in the area have targeted the service providers in Montrose, most notably Interfaith Ministries at 3217 Montrose and Covenant House at 1111 Lovett, as part of the problem.

A flier, distributed throughout Montrose before the meeting and titled "Stop the Enablers!," accused such groups as Interfaith Ministries and Covenant House of "enabling homeless young people to stay on the streets."

Full Chronicle article

I'd have to say this is fairly accurate. Of course, someone will blame this on the people from the burbs who moved to the city.

If I had a dollar for every kid steet fight I have seen behind Jack-N-Box on Lovett, I'd have about $8.00.

A few have been right in front of Covenant House and 1/2 Price Books.

And Interfaith Ministries practically throws parties in the parking lot. Once I thougt it was a concert about to start.

at HPB, the street kids were always entertainment (fights, prostitution, drugs, etc).

covenant house doesn't have the means to "control" these kids. there is an 8pm curfew, and if they miss it, they are shut out for the night (and sleeping/pooing in the back of half price).

one solution - keep covenant house offices/intake at present location, move the actual center in to the middle of NOwhere...heh

Guest danax

This scene probably was ok in the "old Montrose". That's a pretty high dollar area now and these people are only tolerant to a degree. Tough situation.

at HPB, the street kids were always entertainment (fights, prostitution, drugs, etc).

covenant house doesn't have the means to "control" these kids.  there is an 8pm curfew, and if they miss it, they are shut out for the night (and sleeping/pooing in the back of half price). 

one solution - keep covenant house offices/intake at present location, move the actual center in to the middle of NOwhere...heh

Absolutely agree.

Covenant House cannot continue to bury its collective head in the sand. For all practical purposes, it's a trade school for prostitution and street crime. Despite of their good intentions, they're doing harm both to these mixed-up kids and to the surrounding neighborhood.

At the time it was founded (early 80's, I think) Montrose property was fairly inexpensive. If they were to sell the existing property, I'll bet it would pay for a facility twice its size in a different part of town, leasing a local office, and a van to transport the kids from point A to point B.

I'd also like to see HPD initiate some 'reverse' stings and scare the creeps who exploit these kids away from the neighborhood.

The ones they showed would take their clients through a split in the fence and do their thing. After the ladies left, they showed what was behind the fence - something like a tarp on the ground amid a pile of junk.

Archived