sttombiz

I agree. They want a team that can sell tickets. Rice is lucky if 10,000 people attend one of their games. I will say with the new football complex Rice might be able to attract better players. Only problem Rice will insist they're players be able to read and write which puts them at a huge disadvantage with major schools in big conferences.

IMG_20160825_104425391 (Small).jpg

IMG_20160825_104523582_HDR (Small).jpg

IMG_20160825_104855197_HDR (Small).jpg

IMG_20160825_104858170_HDR (Small).jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, EllenOlenska said:

The school announced Monday that it will break ground in September on a new music and opera building designed by Allan Greenberg Architect LLC. 

http://www.chron.com/entertainment/arts-theater/article/Rice-to-break-ground-on-new-performing-arts-hall-10806079.php

This is ugly.  It reminds me of the Tower of London -- and it was a prison.

15 hours ago, Subdude said:

Not neoclassic.  More neo-Romanesque would be my guess.

True. My bad, I was just trying to lump all the pre-war architectural styles into one umbrella term. Craftsmanship, detailing and ornamentation were truly amazing before the war. Almost every single building was built like a masterpiece back then. Even art-deco's simple lines and curves are something that I would love more of. I doubt that the styles will ever make a return, though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Luminare said:

oh yeah lets not let a cool firm like Diller Scofidio & Renfro design this...I got a better idea guys. Lets get that one McMansion architect down the block.

Rice was definitely looking for a firm that could replicate the style of its older buildings. Allan Greenberg was the way to go. He is one of the leading figures in New Classical architecture, and his firm's previous works truly are beautiful.

http://www.allangreenberg.com/projects/dupont-hall/

Don't get me wrong, I don't want beef with anybody, but you could've at least looked this guy up before deriding him as a "McMansion architect'. How disgusting.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I took this photo earlier in the month and never got around to posting it, but nobody else has provided updates so it's still a good 6 weeks more current than anything else out there.  This is the new parking garage and office building, mostly finished.  Not the greatest photo but I was just walking by, and this was the best view I could get from the side I was on:

GFtZQLG.jpg

• Like 9

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...