sttombiz

It's nice finally being able to walk behind Fondren again. When is the actual cafe supposed to be open? Now that I know for sure that I am staying around for a PhD, I'll be able to hang out at this place sometimes.

Here are some from just a little while ago - they are finishing up the landscaping and the interior, and the two long fountains are running. There is a large amount of asian jasmine groundcover being planted along the north side of the pavilion - i wish they could have planted grass instead for more lawn space. oh well.

brochsteinpavilion002.jpg

brochsteinpavilion001.jpg

brochsteinpavilion003.jpg

I also took a cell phone photo yesterday before the dedication. Too bad its not open to students yet. :(

It's very different from what you expect from Rice Architecture (so is the CRC) but somehow I think it works, I love the windows, the landscaping is nice, and I like the fact that they planted new trees. It really makes that empty area behind the library so much nicer.

It reminds me of Menil a bit.

gallery_3613_38_88716.jpg

Edited by Jax

Open, but haven't made it in yet.

Dirk's Coffee will provide the food and beverage service for the Brochstein Pavilion. In addition to Diedrich's brand coffees and other beverages, the pavilion menu will include sandwiches, salads, snacks and desserts.

During its first week of operation, which is also finals week, Brochstein Pavilion will be open 24 hours a day to give students, faculty and staff access to "Broch around the clock." The nonstop operation begins at 9 a.m. April 27 and continues through midnight May 2. Beginning May 3, the pavilion will operate on a summer schedule: 7 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday through Friday and 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. For commencement, May 10, the pavilion will be open from 7 a.m. to midnight.

For more information about Brochstein Pavilion and upcoming events, visit www.rice.edu/brochstein.

http://www.media.rice.edu/media/NewsBot.as...EW&ID=10923

• 2 months later...

Chronicle article on the Brochstein Pavilion from Lisa Gray:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/ar...ay/5866353.html

Interesting analysis about the placement and aesthetics of Fondren Library - she calls the Pavilion the "anti-Fondren." I always thought Fondren kinda looked like a lump on the quadrangle, and I agree about the importance of the new west entrance.

Fwiw, I have yet to step foot in the pavilion let alone purchase anything. Wonder if it will ever be student-run...

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Here is some info on the new Rice physics building which is currently under construction. It's going to be next door to the Space Science building which is one of the ugliest buildings on campus in my opinion. I'm not sure I'm crazy about the design of the new physics building either, but it will be great for the physics department and I am sure the facilities will be top notch.

There's a live webcam too.

6bc2d21f-b6a6-4af7-a6bf-e57cb7d7b774.jpg

4bc8b5b9-dc97-451b-a014-019877ec54e4.jpg

9e2e359d-13ae-4582-8038-483b73df3492.jpg

1c2423d1-16d8-42b8-be01-8675de5df65a.jpg

physics-webcam.jpg

Edited by Jax

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I know there are a lot of urban explorers here on HAIF. Has anyone been to the tunnels beneath Rice University?

There's 2.6 miles of tunnels down there. And the Facilities department even has tours open to the public! http://facilities.ri...nt.aspx?id=2248

It's nothing great. Rice distributes most of it's heating,cooling and electricity from 2 main central plants through these utility tunnels. You can't actually walk from one end of the campus to the other. Pretty much every building has a locked gate to prevent entry plus it's a very tight squeeze in some areas. There are also manhole covers but again you wouldn't get far before you came to a locked gate.

Thresher article

one of my kids graduated from Rice in 2001-- not much positive to say about the tunnels and raised eyebrows at the thought that anyone from the "public" would want a tour.

This is probably typical---there is some sort of list of things on campus undergrads must attempt or experience before graduating. . . . . . . not sure how much enthusiasm for the list the kids feel , since only "swimming in university Presidents pool and walking the tunnels" were the only ones that came to mind when I asked.

It's nothing great. Rice distributes most of it's heating,cooling and electricity from 2 main central plants through these utility tunnels. You can't actually walk from one end of the campus to the other. Pretty much every building has a locked gate to prevent entry plus it's a very tight squeeze in some areas. There are also manhole covers but again you wouldn't get far before you came to a locked gate.

Thresher article

Since the maintenance department is doing the tour, It would make sense to think that the gates wouldn't be an obstacle.

Since the maintenance department is doing the tour, It would make sense to think that the gates wouldn't be an obstacle.

I've been in the steam tunnels. It's cool on some level but it's not that impressive in the grand scheme on things. They are only for distribution of utilities to campus buildings from the central plants. In many areas they have so many pipes going through them that they are impassable for humans.

I know there are a lot of urban explorers here on HAIF. Has anyone been to the tunnels beneath Rice University?

There's 2.6 miles of tunnels down there. And the Facilities department even has tours open to the public! http://facilities.ri...nt.aspx?id=2248

I spent a fair amount of time down in the tunnels when I was a student-worker for the IT department. They run their fiber-optic connections between buildings through the tunnels, and we were the ones who had to go down and fix them when they broke.

For an architecture student it was hugely educational. In fact, I actually learned more from working in the tunnels and IT closets on campus, than I did from some of my professors.

For the public, I think it would be educational as well. But I wouldn't go so far as to say they're 'impressive.' (In many cases it's impossible to tell when you're in a tunnel, and when you're just in a corridor in the basement of a building.)

Attached images from an old Rice "Tunnel Naked" T-shirt, including a map on the back that was tediously built from scratch by extensive unauthorized pacing trips by some friends of mine (none of which were naked, to my knowledge)... post-3987-0-32434200-1295671233_thumb.jp post-3987-0-68962300-1295671251_thumb.jp

LOL. Those are great. I'm guessing from the 90's? Definitely before New Wiess was built.

• 11 months later...

Great vid ... I rode my bike all over Rice almost daily 1954-55 .. it was our play ground ... we use to get in the stadium and play chase all around and some of the open grass areas play football games with lots of kids .... one night Ike Eisenhower came to speak to Houston business men at the Basketball Court Bldg and we (me and friend) went on our bikes and rode inbetween 20+ motorcycle police leading the big old black limo's w/ Ike and asso's traveling maybe 5 mph (hey we were faster than that) ... we went right up to the front doors and lay our bikes down to the left of front doors ... we were invisible ..... and came in when Ike came in ... once Ike started to speak he told all the business men to take off their coats and relax (Houston heat... good name for a sports team) and the all black coats became all white shirts and black ties .. and to think 10 years before Ike was top gun over all these soliders now business men making Houston grow ..... great stuff even for 9 years old we followed his words till we got bored and felt the old guys could take care of every thing ok ...out we went on our bikes thru the parked motorcyles along our route, incl grass and walks, streets & sidewalks..... back home to .... Bissonnett and Mandel area ....... Lucian lll

• Like 1

Riding on the sidewalk is illegal in a 'business district' which is defined as "the territory contiguous to and including a roadway when, within 600 feet along such roadway, there are buildings in use for business or industrial purpose which occupy 300 feet collectively on both sides of the roadway", so is a university a business? I suppose so. I always ride in the street, unless it seems really unsafe.

• 5 months later...