sttombiz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, BeerNut said:

Is this a model?

It's a materials mock-up.Typically used to show the client what the final materials will look like, and the quality expected of the subcontractors doing the work.

Edited by jermh
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.ricethresher.org/article/2019/08/campus-construction-continues-over-summer

Construction broke ground on the new building for Sid Richardson College at the end of the summer.  According to Anzilla Gilmore, project manager for New Sid, construction should begin soon, if other construction projects remain on schedule.

“The project is expected to start on September 16, but it’s contingent on the completion of the new Will Rice Magister House project,” Gilmore said. 

According to Gilmore, issues with hot water and air conditioning in the existing Sid building were partially related to the construction on New Sid.

“We installed new chilled water and steam lines to serve new and old Sid Rich,” Gilmore said. “Old Sid was connected to the new lines because the old lines that served old Sid Rich needed to be replaced. Whether we were building the new Sid Rich or not, the lines that serve old Sid Rich would have needed to be replaced.”

According to Sid’s website, the New Sid building will have 12 levels, with the commons, magister’s house, admin space and multifunctional rooms on the first and second floors, and residential spaces on the 10 floors above.  Unlike the current Sid building, New Sid will include singles and doubles.

Gilmore said that the building should be completed by November 2020.

• Like 5

On 8/29/2019 at 6:10 AM, Urbannizer said:

The new Sid Richardson replaces this building. Don't hate me Aggies it's part of Sid history.

mNvy7t7.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

21 minutes ago, gclass said:

texas_longhorns.png

^^^ @hindesky why on earth would anyone DARE to "HATE" you?  you're being MUCH to hard on yourself...

I have a nephew who graduated as a Sea Aggie and a niece who is currently a junior at TAMU so I don't dislike the Aggies, except when it comes to football then I'm a UT fan.

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, hindesky said:

The new Sid Richardson replaces this building. Don't hate me Aggies it's part of Sid history.

mNvy7t7.jpg

From site plan, looks like this building remains...

do we know why it would be torn down? Seems odd that both Rice Andy UH could be taking down their old residential towers instead of renovating...

i hope it stays and they renovate it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Avossos said:

From site plan, looks like this building remains...

do we know why it would be torn down? Seems odd that both Rice Andy UH could be taking down their old residential towers instead of renovating...

i hope it stays and they renovate it.

They are not currently planning to demolish old Sid - as of the beginning of this year, the thinking was that it would be repurposed as graduate student housing. 

New Sid Rich building on track for 2021 completion

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Rice University awarded grant for 'mass timber' building on campus

"Rice's proposal is for a five-story, 50,000-square-foot student housing building on its campus."

The new building at Rice would replace the existing 120-bed wing of Hanszen College. Construction is pending approval by Rice's Board of Trustees and its Buildings and Grounds subcommittee.

• Like 3