He also designed many of the buildings on the University of St. Thomas campus, as well as several smaller projects in Houston. And several of his students have also influenced local architecture with styles that are greatly inspired by Johnson. He will definitely be greatly missed in the design world

• Like 1

From the Houston Architecture Info web site (natch):

Bank of America Center

BankofAmericaCenter-003.jpg

Chapel of Saint Basil

SaintBasil-001.jpg

Pennzoil Place

PennzoilPlace-001.jpg

Williams Tower

WilliamsTower-001.jpg

UH College of Architecture Building

CollegeofArchitectureBuilding-005.jpg

Of course, how much involvement Johnson, himself, had will vary. Some just have his company's name on them. I don't know much about him, so feel free to correct me on any of these buildings.

"The Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture at the University of Houston was the only building in my career that I unashamedly copied from another architect, Claude-Nicholas Ledoux, an eighteenth-century French genius. His building was also an educational structure. I changed a few little things along the way."

PHILIP JOHNSON

From a 1998 Metropolis interview:

Don't influential architects -- say, you and Stern and maybe Eisenman -- play some role in defining that taste over time?

I wish we did. Dear Mr. Jerry Hines is now the biggest developer in the world, and do I get a peep in? Not a peep.

Are you being a little coy again? You can look back on everything you've done since 1932 and say that you haven't had any influence on the way people build in this country?

I have only had that kind of influence in one place: Houston, Texas. It's mostly my buildings there. Nine buildings, and most of them were built by Jerry Hines.

So you did get to build your city -- in Houston?

Well, it was the nearest thing I could get. A building here and a building there, that's not a city. C'mon, that's beyond anyone's ability right now. But I have to say, through Jerry Hines I had what you call power, I guess, in that one place.

"...He is survived by his long time partner, David..."

Did I miss something here?

He was gay. I'm not but I would welcome them to move into my neighborhood. I'm sure within a short time the esplanades would be planted and yards blooming. Am I steroetyping here to say that many have an "artistic flair" and love to keep their properties nice? Is there some biochemical connection between homosexuality and right-brain artsy-ness?

He was gay. I'm not but I would welcome them to move into my neighborhood. I'm sure within a short time the esplanades would be planted and yards blooming. Am I steroetyping here to say that many have an "artistic flair" and love to keep their properties nice? Is there some biochemical connection between homosexuality and right-brain artsy-ness?

They just don't have these wife things sucking every last creative tendency out of their souls.

(so says the recently divorced guy)

They just don't have these wife things sucking every last creative tendency out of their souls.

(so says the recently divorced guy)

There is something to be said for less obligations/headaches, more simplicity and the flowering of creativity.

I remember that someone made a quote that said "Homosexuality was invented so men could be creative,and not have the burden of a wife and children".